• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 AVR Review

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this part of Audyssey Pro? Where do you find curves?
To avoid confusion, if you meant the latest Audyssey version, it is the Mult EQ-X, the Audyssey Pro is the very old version from n years ago.
There is a what they call the Mult EQ-X Pro, that has the same features as the Mult EQ-X, but is tailored to business/installers. For you, the $200 Mult EQ-X is the one to get, no point paying $550 unless you want to be an installer and do it for others. Most people should do very well with the $20 app.

raybies

Does anyone know what you can do in the Advanced menu of the web UI?
View attachment 322864
Answering my own question: Your enter the name of the receiver eg: CINEMA 50
Your are then presented with another menu with 2 sub menus.
1698894556000.png

1698894528071.png

jiji

I can check disabling that and report back.
This is important because I don't think DIRAC makes use of Dynamic EQ setting at all (and possibly why movie tracks sound "better" w/Audyssey).
You are absolutely correct. Disabling Dynamic EQ in Audessy, it seems to be DIRAC is bit better(especially bass and vocal).
Anyway with Audessy Dynamic EQ , the surround presentations are better compared to DIRAC.
Also in night time , i can use the Dynamic Volume as well , which is also cool for peoples like me who live in apartment.
So for movies i still prefer Audessy with Dynamic Eq(only downside is Vocals in center not clear as DIRAC live).
It would be great if Audessy develop soon the bass management (like DLBC in Dirac live).

YaskataSt

Apologoes, I'm new to this and still very confused by the graphics and the detailed information. What would be the consensus for this AVR? Is it generally positive or negative? I'm looking for AVRs since I'll be watching movies and listening to music, but I don't have the budget for separate electronics. I'm thinking of pairing this with KLH Model Three.

Thanks!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologoes, I'm new to this and still very confused by the graphics and the detailed information. What would be the consensus for this AVR? Is it generally positive or negative? I'm looking for AVRs since I'll be watching movies and listening to music, but I don't have the budget for separate electronics. I'm thinking of pairing this with KLH Model Three.

Thanks!
In this hobby, I suppose it is hard to get consensus on most things. Personally, I think the numbers/graphics show this AVR is very good, but not the best for sure. For the KLH Model Three, if you sit not too far, and don't listen too loud then you will be fine with the Cinema 50.

If you were to sit further than say 3 meters, and listen to reference level or even 10 dB below level, then I would suggest you use an external power amp rated for say 300 W or more into 4 ohms, to power the Model 3, for good results. You must know that acoustic suspension speakers typically are not efficient, and will suck more juice relatively speaking that ported, or even sealed designs, all else being equal.

pogo

Major Contributor
STEREO magazine measurements for C50:
@4ohms, stereo, 1% THD: 32W per channel
@4ohms, multi-ch, 1% THD: 32W per channel
@4ohms, Impulse power, 1kHz: 42W

pogo

Major Contributor
I am not aware of any link to the test. Data comes from the freshly printed magazine.

18000rpm

Just received firmware update on my Cinema 50, to version 8300-8213-D012-9710

Anyone know what changed?

pogo

Major Contributor
Firmware from 10.04.2024 (U33)

HEOS iOS App: 3.19.150
HEOS Android App / Kindle Fire App: 3.19.161
HEOS Firmware: 3.19.211

• New Feature: Tidal Hi-Res FLAC 24bit/192khz now available via the HEOS app
  • Fixed: Spotify podcasts randomly skipping to the next track
  • Fixed: Samsung and LG TVs are experiencing sound clipping every couple of seconds when using eARC
  • Fixed: If the "Distance FL" entry is changed in Dirac profile #1, then Dirac profile #2 is selected, then profile #1 is selected again, the value of "Distance FL" is reset to a default value.
  • Fixed: Changing the running time of the rear high in memory location 1 after the Dirac calibration, they are retained even when unit is switched off. calling up another memory location and then switching back to the first memory location, the two rear high corrected values are gone.
  • Fixed: When playing DAB+ from the TUNER source, the current track is not updated on the TV screen. The track is updated on the internal display of the device.
  • Fixed: "Bluetooth Pairing..." indication is not displayed and Bluetooth pairing was not possible.
  • Fixed: When certain MP3 files are played, the volume of Mini system M-CR612 will increase to about 25 steps.
  • Fixed: Added custom settings to "Line Out Level" in the Setup menu.

artsky

I am using PM6007 with Polk R200 (mainly 2 channel audio). Would there be improvements if I upgrade to the cinema 50, or would I be wasting the processing and amplification of the cinema 50 by just using it for 2 channel audio?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using PM6007 with Polk R200 (mainly 2 channel audio). Would there be improvements if I upgrade to the cinema 50, or would I be wasting the processing and amplification of the cinema 50 by just using it for 2 channe
If you use it with Audyssey or Dirac Live, you can expect improvements.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use it with Audyssey or Dirac Live, you can expect improvements.
And you might even get them :p

I recommend after measurements using REW and it is ok to not like the results, regardless of what the predictive graphs report.

- Rich

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And you might even get them :p

I recommend after measurements using REW and it is ok to not like the results, regardless of what the predictive graphs report.

- Rich
I meant to say might, or could, "can" was a mistake.

Top Bottom