• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan Fan Makes a Video for the LRS

TitaniumTroy

https://mason.agency/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1285

LRS is an awesome, small and inexpensive Maggie. Was thinking about getting one to swap out with my main speakers just to change things up and hear that planer sound, but I don't think the LRS will power my room so will look into getting a pair of .7's.
From the Planer Asylum:
"Hi all: As a longtime fan of Magnepan, and as a Director, I decided to create a concept video for the (relatively) new Magnepan LRS speaker, of which I own two and am a big fan. At first, I thought I might just do a concept, but I just kept working on it until one day, it was almost finished, so I just finished it. I called the man himself - Wendell at Magnepan, and after some back and forth, he agreed to let it be sent out! I was thrilled, and I thought I'd share it with you folks on this forum. While I fully realize it is a promotional video, I am the writer and Director, and as such, I am posting my work here that was created in admiration of a fantastic speaker, and legendary brand. I am posting it because I assume anyone watching is a Magnepan fan, and will get a kick out of it. I am not trying to sell speakers for Magnepan - just posting my work, as a fan. Magnepan told me that this is the very first time in their approximately 50-year history that they have released a promotional video that was not instructional in nature. I am curious to hear your comments.
[email protected]
Audiophile

hanks."

Vasr

Major Contributor
Meh. Could just be a one-page ad in a magazine for what it conveys. Overdone 2001:ASO lead-in.

Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
Fortunately, I have an audio dealer just a mile from my home that is a Magnepan dealer. I had a chance to listen to the .7 model yesterday with a little assistance from an REL 7i subwoofer. With, and without the REL sub, the .7 sounded very impressive - spacious, detailed, image, etc. while listening to some Dave Brubek on vinyl as well as other jazz favorites being streamed. At the moment, the .7 is about a 4+ week wait after ordering the product and the LRS is 12+ weeks. I had to think over the size issue because I'm in in a condominium - though, not too small, my living room is 16' x 15' and opens up to the dining room and kitchen. I made a foam board cutout of the size of the .7 model. I felt that it would be a little large-ish in my place, so set my focus on the LRS - which is about 7" shorter (as noted in the horizontal Sharpie line drawn on the white foam board. The width of both models is nearly the same, though. Fortunately, I found a "like new" but used pair of LRS speakers that I sprung for and should arrive early next week. I don't have REL subs, but have a pair of 10" Monolith that I'll work on integrating into the mix.

I'll see how the LRS works out next week when they arrive. I'll see if they suit my needs. If not, I still have the option of going for the .7 version and selling the LRS.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Magnepan LCR.JPG

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fortunately, I have an audio dealer just a mile from my home that is a Magnepan dealer. I had a chance to listen to the .7 model yesterday with a little assistance from an REL 7i subwoofer. With, and without the REL sub, the .7 sounded very impressive - spacious, detailed, image, etc. while listening to some Dave Brubek on vinyl as well as other jazz favorites being streamed. At the moment, the .7 is about a 4+ week wait after ordering the product and the LRS is 12+ weeks. I had to think over the size issue because I'm in in a condominium - though, not too small, my living room is 16' x 15' and opens up to the dining room and kitchen. I made a foam board cutout of the size of the .7 model. I felt that it would be a little large-ish in my place, so set my focus on the LRS - which is about 7" shorter (as noted in the horizontal Sharpie line drawn on the white foam board. The width of both models is nearly the same, though. Fortunately, I found a "like new" but used pair of LRS speakers that I sprung for and should arrive early next week. I don't have REL subs, but have a pair of 10" Monolith that I'll work on integrating into the mix.

I'll see how the LRS works out next week when they arrive. I'll see if they suit my needs. If not, I still have the option of going for the .7 version and selling the LRS.

Thanks for sharing the video.

View attachment 76928
Have plenty of speaker wire on hand to get them well into the room towards the MLP.. :p;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Indeed. The best part was at the very end - "Thin for the Win". But, the other 1 minute, 50 second lead-up was a bit too much.

It's just terrible, really dreadful. I don't know what else to say. It seems every kid with Adobe Premier Pro thinks they are a "director". Actually, the trampolining videos my 15yo made are infinitely better, engaging and fun.

It certainly does Magnepan no favours.

wje

Forum Donor
FYI my review sample of LRS is here!

Excellent! The measurements from the Stereophile site show a bit of "mixed bag" with the measurements. Though, many have stated measuring a planar / film speaker might toss one a few obstacles with the numbers, but in reality, the sound presents itself better than what the numbers may actually portray via the readings.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-measurements

Ugh! After pulling the trigger on the LRS, another seller responded to my price request for a pair of .7 in the grey cloth that I want. I may just get both models, then evaluate for myself which I prefer more and sell the other pair. My brain is numb from video reviews and written reviews on the sound differences between the LRS and the .7.

wje

Forum Donor
That should be fun. Prepare for something you probably haven't seen before......response-wise. :)

Dave.

True. While the tests and results of the Elac Debut Reference was quite positive and I did enjoy having a pair, taking time to carefully listen to all the details produced from a pair of the Magnepan . 7 was a bit eye-opening for me. In the past, I shrugged off Magnepan. They were a bit more limited in years past - mostly darker cloth colors, lighter Oak side panels, etc. Plus, they've revised their technology to use all ribbon technology, as opposed to ribbon and other variants mixed in a "hybrid" fashion.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True. While the tests and results of the Elac Debut Reference was quite positive and I did enjoy having a pair, taking time to carefully listen to all the details produced from a pair of the Magnepan . 7 was a bit eye-opening for me. In the past, I shrugged off Magnepan. They were a bit more limited in years past - mostly darker cloth colors, lighter Oak side panels, etc. Plus, they've revised their technology to use all ribbon technology, as opposed to ribbon and other variants mixed in a "hybrid" fashion.

They are not all ribbon. They are still a planar magnetic driver, an improve one, but not a ribbon. The 3, 20 and 30 series all use a true ribbon tweeter.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI my review sample of LRS is here!

It’s going to sound great even though it measures poorly. The “forced EQ” will make female vocals and guitars sound sublime.

When you do your subjective listening, since it’s a planar, you should try to set it up as a stereo pair. I suspect that’s necessary for proper integration.

I

Feanor

Forum Donor
I owned Magneplanars for over 15 years. First, MMG's then MG 1.6QR's. Basically I loved every minute of them. I only moved to a dynamic "box" speaker to save space and reduce the room-dominating nature of the Maggies.

wje

Forum Donor
They are not all ribbon. They are still a planar magnetic driver, an improve one, but not a ribbon. The 3, 20 and 30 series all use a true ribbon tweeter.

Yes, thanks for the correction. :cool:

wje

Forum Donor
It’s going to sound great even though it measures poorly. The “forced EQ” will make female vocals and guitars sound sublime.

When you do your subjective listening, since it’s a planar, you should try to set it up as a stereo pair. I suspect that’s necessary for proper integration.

I

Indeed. While listening to the .7 yesterday, I had the sales guy pull up some Mindy Abair. Her saxaphone playing was also sublime on the Magnepans. Just completed the purchase on the .7, so they'll arrive early next week along with the LRS. Since the summer vacation was basically scrapped due to the crisis, many concerts that I've wanted to attend have been cancelled, and I'm spending all of my work days now at home, I need to the music to feed my soul through the day.

After spending much of the week trying to look for an upgraded box speaker, I was looking at the Triangle Espirit EZ, Comete, etc. The pair of genly used .7 Magenapans fell in the price range between those two models. No regrets on the purchase decision. As my ears age - going on 57, I've realized I don't need, or appreciate "polite" sounding speakers at this point, but desire something that sounds fast with my music as well as being lively.

iLoveCats

I love your video @TitaniumTroy I have some modified Super MMG's that I enjoy daily. I'm scared to death to see Amir's review of the LRS.

Top Bottom