• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar and Magnepan LRS

slo642

I got a Vidar to run LRS in a second room. the Vidar cut out with about half a song played after changing everything I found the vidar didnt like the resistor that magnepan supplys. with the resistors removed the Vidar will only play the LRS speakers at rather low volume before it drops out. I contacted Schiit and they want me to pay to ship the brand new vidar back for service. I think some here are using a vidar and LRS speakers is it possible when i get it back to play at a reasonable volume or shuld I just cut my losses with this amp.

I had liked Schiit but the last item I got had to go back and came back ify at best and now this.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I'm not sure, but this thread may be informative

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could this be due to impedance? Running them as monoblocks if memory serves correct makes the minimum recommended impedance higher I think. Don't quote me on that though, I'm just going from what I think I read when briefly considering those amps some time ago. Could be worth reading up to see if that's indeed a thing with them.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Beyond belief

I had the same problem with my vidar and lrs+ causing the amp to go into protect mode at 70-80 db and I was told there was nothing wrong with the amp so I bought the Tyr’s and moved the vidar to my Polk r200’s. Everything works great now but I wonder if some of the Vidar’s are defective or unable to drive the LRS+ above 80db. Either way I am happy with the Tyr’s on the Maggie’s and vidar on the polks.

OP
S

slo642

I have Tyr powering my LRS+ where I listen most and like the combo. This is a scomdary room with my older LRS in it and I tryed the Vidar on the recomendation from someone from Magnepan.
Schiit replaced the vidar and the new 1 and it is working great. The last Vidar must have had an issue as it droped out while pushing modest bookshelf speakers. The new Vidar can be pushed hard enough to drop out on the old LRS but it is so loud at that point I cant imagin anyone wanting to stay long enought to listen to any thing.
I was going to have 2 of the Vidar running as monoblock but before ordering I was told it would make the vidar more likly to dropout in a protection mode.
Two thumbs up for Schiit making it right

Top Bottom