• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS upgrade, large room $3k budget

lobby

I just moved into a new house and my listening room is significantly bigger than before and I'm finding my LRS being pushed to the limit to fill the room even with a 250 wpc bryston 4BST. I am also using a velodyne HGS-12BG sub.
The room is LARGE, and while I understand its not an ideal listening room, its all I have to work with. I have about a $3k budget to work with for speakers alone. I'd like to continue using my 4BST and BP-20 preamp. Would I be foolish to spend the money on khorns as opposed to something more modern?
I like the maggie sound but am open to other speakers as well and preferably looking on the used market. Forgive the mess as we just recently moved in, I have bass traps in the 3 corners and will eventually put treatment on the ceiling as well. Room measures 19' to the rear wall, 17.5' wide, and about 16' to the top of the ceiling.

PXL_20230807_201712204.jpg
PXL_20230807_201734235.jpg

Last edited:

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Before you buy any gear, I strongly suggest that you use nice thick window coverings and lay down high quality carpet the lenght of your staircase. It's a beautiful room, but it's screaming Standing Waves. Some of our other, more savvy, members may give you suggestions on room correction. Don't worry so much about your gear, worry about placement and sound-optimization. And congratulatons on your new home!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The magnepan is a massive and big mess sounding soundstage, modern sounding speakers specially these who are not diapolite are more to have a nice controlled oriented directivity ,more focused/clear image

I guess you have to decide what you want first..

Top Bottom