• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40

FlexYoFace

Is the Firmware updatable on this unit and is this more warmer or less harsh sound in the highs etc
Yes the firmware is updatable, but get drivers and any firmware updates from the "support tab" on Loxjie's site. The D40 product page itself has old drivers linked below the PDF manual. They're slow to update their page sometimes it would seem. The sound is less sibilant in the highs than the D30 by a very small amount. I perceive it to be smoother up top, less aggressive on filter 1 than the D30 but still super airy like the D30. If you still find filter 1 to be a bit too aggressive for your speakers, you can try Filter 2 and 3 and it could smooth the top out for you. I can't hear the filters doing much anything through headphones, the sound color modes are more apparent through headphones and they are still subtle but they are more of a tuning than the filters, filters aren't supposed to be for tuning.. they say.

FlexYoFace

You're not seriously telling me that the D40 has no neutral mode that doesn't force some baked in EQ curve or other FX on the user, are you? Man, I'm really looking forward to seeing measurements of these settings..
I'm sorry but it doesn't matter how long you listened. You could have listened for 2000 or 0 hours, because in sighted comparisons you can tell that you've connected a different device even if you don't listen at all. Biases are unavoidable and the reason why people claim to hear differences even between identical devices.

The headphone amp is where there might be bigger differences, but we'll need some measurements to confirm that. Strangely, Loxjie doesn't even provide basic specs for the headphone out on the D40.
But in my previous post I wasn't talking about the headphone amp. I was talking about using it as a DAC since that is what you said you were using.
There's just sound color mode 1 and filter 1 set at default. The color modes aren't described at all anywhere in the manual or on their site. I'm not bothered by it though. It sounds damn near the same as a D30 which I loved so I'm hoping it measures just as good. Either way, I'm happy with it, and the headphone amp seems to be just as good as the D30's just more power. All I was trying to say before is that the D30 on filter 1 was a little sibilant on my speakers, and I would jump between 1 and 3 often. On the D40 I use filter 1 the whole time and find I don't have to change it. I'm almost certain I hear more heft/width in the lower mids and low end, and you can call that placebo if you want. Both dacs are great.

peterwen

Audio Company
The review of Loxjie D40 by Headfonics

ejr

I have a D30 on my sound system, with an Emotiva BasX PT-100 preamp and Genelec 6020A powered speakers.
I have a D40 on my sound+video system with Genelec 1029A powered speakers and 7050A active subwoofer.

The D40 menu and the manual that explains it are minimal (and confusing for users who are not familiar with all the technology). As usual, the Loxjie website and tech support are unhelpful. (This company has NEVER responded to a single email message requesting help).

What I am after, always, is the most faithful reproduction of what the artist of a work had in mind. I don't like blindly changing parameters without knowing exactly what they are going to do. For example, does one choice boost the midrange, to emphasize dialog in a movie? Does another roll off the bass response during peaks, making it more suitable for watching a film at night, or what?

I'd be grateful for anything you could tell me about each of the following settings, and how it might be used:

(1. ) SPDIF Mode - The manual says

"SP1 mode, only use the digital receiver chip (DIR) to process the SPDIF signal,
Used to support 44.1-192kHz."

and

"SP2 mode, in this mode D40 will use the XMOS processor to process the
optical/coaxial signal, so that it can have more powerful computing power and can
handle various complex tasks including MQA, DoP"

I don't think I use anything that requires MQA and I don't know what DoP is. Should I always be using SP1 (assuming that I can learn to use the menu well enough to keep from always accidently selecting SP2)?

(2.) What do each of the Sound Color settings actually do (SC1, SC2, SC3, SC4)? I have had some issues with the default (SC1) hearing the dialog on some Netflix movies.

Thank you.

BTW - To answer a previous post, there doesn't seem to be an option to not to use any of the Sound Color settings. Mine was set to SC1 and the only other options are SC2, SC3, and SC4. No bypass or anything that implies you could opt for no sound coloration.

Last edited:

ejr

So nobody knows the answer to any of my questions above?

ejr

Does anybody know how to turn off Bluetooth on the Loxjie D40. It appears to be interfering with the remote for my Apple TV (which reports that the remote is repeatedly being diconnected and reconnected)? Thanks.

Top Bottom