• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Review

xerxes2

Oh I have ordered from AliExpress and Banggood on multiple occasions so I know what to expect. That being said, when I order stuff from the Banggood US warehouse it shows up in within a week as expected. When I ordered this from the HiFi-express website they said it was shipping from the US warehouse, so it shouldn't have taken the usual 2-4 weeks it usually takes to get something from a CN warehouse. Had I known this was coming from a China warehouse I would have just ordered it from Amazon Prime in the first place, and had it in 2 days. Either HiFi-express is incompetent or they lied about where the DAC was shipping from.
The US delivery option is removed from hifi-express, just order it elsewhere if possible. Just checked and now the EU option is removed too so I was lucky to get my device. In Europe it is also listed as in stock at audiophonics.fr so that could be an option for EU.

xerxes2

Used the D30 as DAC for a few days now and very happy with it. Even though it got a wall plug directly into device it runs very cold so the power transform stage must be very efficient. Build quality is awesome with pretty thick metal housing. Will test headphone output more once the Sennheiser HD 559 gets back in stock.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Given that the D30 has its own power source, those of you who use the D30 connected to a PC via USB, do you guys just keep the D30 permanently on?

My current DAC uses the same USB cable for power as well as for data connection, so it powers off when I turn my computer off.

Propheticus

Given that the D30 has its own power source, those of you who use the D30 connected to a PC via USB, do you guys just keep the D30 permanently on?

My current DAC uses the same USB cable for power as well as for data connection, so it powers off when I turn my computer off.
Why leave it on? There's a remote with an on/off button or you can long-press the volume/select knob. It's a <0.1W standby. Good enough, right?

escape2

Why leave it on? There's a remote with an on/off button or you can long-press the volume/select knob. It's a <0.1W standby. Good enough, right?
Thanks! Forgot about the remote option.

How does Windows 10 handle the D30 power cycles? Will Windows automatically switch audio output to the D30 as soon as you power the D30 on?

EDIT: Finally had a chance to set mine up - Windows does automatically switch back to D30 after powering the D30 back on.

Also, regarding my previous question about line level output level in variable output mode, pre-amp volume of 53 corresponds to about the same output level as fixed DSD.

Last edited:

Propheticus

With it selected as the audio output, yes. While off it's a speaker symbol with a red cross, which changes back as soon as it's turned on.
When you have an alternative output device selected, you of course need to switch.

escape2

Then I found out the Loxjie site has XMOS drivers for this D30 including ASIO... not mentioned in the manual anywhere. It adds 16- and 24-bit output format options to the sound control panel, instead of 32-bit only with generic Microsoft drivers.
I've installed that XMOS driver. Still only seeing a 32-bit option, although listed twice?

Jv75XfL.png

gtb75

The US delivery option is removed from hifi-express, just order it elsewhere if possible. Just checked and now the EU option is removed too so I was lucky to get my device. In Europe it is also listed as in stock at audiophonics.fr so that could be an option for EU.

I ordered it from HiFi-express over a month ago, so it is supposedly in transit. I am in the USA and ordered it from them because they were linked in several YouTube reviews of the D30. I will likely have to order it from someone else to get it by Christmas, but that's not the point... It was in stock in the US location when I placed my order, so it should have arrived weeks ago. Assuming it even shows up I suspect returning it and getting a refund will be an even more horrible process than trying to buy it. I talked to them again last night... Lousy communication and no resolution to the issue - truly a horrible seller if you're in the USA.

Propheticus

I've installed that XMOS driver. Still only seeing a 32-bit option, although listed twice?
That's only for ASIO, the device always works at 32 bit. However the Windows audio settings now allow other formats. Probably means they are resampled padded to 32-bit before being sent to the DAC.
1608563170500.png

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
That's only for ASIO, the device always works at 32 bit. However the Windows audio settings now allow other formats. Probably means they are resampled to 32-bit before being sent to the DAC.
In terms of bit depth it's just going to be padded with zeros. At 100% volume, that would mean just adding 8 null bits. So the 24 bits are transferred in a lossless way. Nothing of concern, really ;)

ilikepancakes

I ordered it from HiFi-express over a month ago, so it is supposedly in transit. I am in the USA and ordered it from them because they were linked in several YouTube reviews of the D30. I will likely have to order it from someone else to get it by Christmas, but that's not the point... It was in stock in the US location when I placed my order, so it should have arrived weeks ago. Assuming it even shows up I suspect returning it and getting a refund will be an even more horrible process than trying to buy it. I talked to them again last night... Lousy communication and no resolution to the issue - truly a horrible seller if you're in the USA.

Usually I just lurk, but I signed up to add another warning. I orderd from Hifi express at the start of Dec when the A30 was in stock. Still hasn't shipped. The claims of a 24*7 help center and "we respond immediatly" are greatly exaggerated.

Propheticus

In terms of bit depth it's just going to be padded with zeros. At 100% volume, that would mean just adding 8 null bits. So the 24 bits are transferred in a lossless way. Nothing of concern, really ;)
That, plus I don't think I've ever seen/used 32-bit material. 24-bit happens, but is already far less common than 16-bit. Next question is of course whether the music actually reaches a dynamic range that requires more than 16-bits... often not. And if I were to listen to music with such a large dynamic range, I would either need a perfectly silent environment and/or listen at a painfully loud level to be able to hear the softest details.
Like you said, nothing of concern.

escape2

That's only for ASIO, the device always works at 32 bit. However the Windows audio settings now allow other formats. Probably means they are resampled padded to 32-bit before being sent to the DAC.
So is it best to leave the Windows side at 32-bit as well, or does it not matter?

Propheticus

If the audio driver does nothing buggy, it should not matter. This setting is not relevant when using ASIO or WASAPI (exclusive mode) playback, as these circumvent the Windows mixer. Apart from that it's changing where the padding happens. Like Veri said, nothing of concern.
Long story short, either 24 or 32 bit is fine.
Sampling frequency...depends on your use case. E.g. 44.1kHz if you predominantly use 'cd' quality music streaming apps.

gtb75

Usually I just lurk, but I signed up to add another warning. I orderd from Hifi express at the start of Dec when the A30 was in stock. Still hasn't shipped. The claims of a 24*7 help center and "we respond immediatly" are greatly exaggerated.
Sorry to hear you are having issues with them as well. I agree that their customer service and communication is dismal. My D30 finally showed up Tuesday. For the benefit of everyone considering ordering from them, here was the timeline for my order:
  • 11/17: Order placed - I selected "Send from US"
  • 11/23: China Post tracking number received (not sure why)
  • 12/6: USPS tracking number received (tracking below)
    • 12/2: Label created - USPS waiting for item
    • 12/11: Arrived at Pittney Bowes in Greenwood, IN
    • 12/14: Arrived at Pittney Bowes in Carol Stream, IL
    • 12/15: Departed from Pittney Bowes in Carol Stream, IL
    • 12/16: Departed from Pittney Bowes in Greenwood, IN (why was it back in Indiana?)
    • 12/20: Arrived at local USPS facility (first time USPS has received it)
    • 12/21: Delivered
If I had ordered this from their China warehouse I would have expected it to take a month, but it should have taken no more than a week if it actually shipped from their US warehouse. They never answered my question as to where it actually shipped from, so something tells me it was China - even though I picked US when I placed the order. In summary, this was my first and last order from HiFi-express. Hopefully this post serves as a warning for others in the future.

As for the D30, for the price it's really nice! It is nicely built and sounds great. It replaced a Topping D50 in a secondary system and seems to be a bit more "musical" and a bit less "Hi-Fi". I suppose that's the AKM vs ESS DAC. Regardless, in this system it's a better fit. Anyway, the remote, bigger display, built in Bluetooth, and built in power supply are all nice features to have. I doubt I will use the headphone stage since I have dedicated headphone amps but, as strictly a DAC, it is a really nice package for the price!

Propheticus

seems to be a bit more "musical" and a bit less "Hi-Fi"
And you hear this while you use it as a DAC only? What input do you use? I hope a difference only exists when using (inferior) Bluetooth.
Following concensus on these forums based on measurements and science: When using (lossless) usb or spdif input, no audible difference is expected between 'decent' DACs. Hearing a difference would mean either one is defective or simply...bad.

gtb75

And you hear this while you use it as a DAC only? What input do you use? I hope a difference only exists when using (inferior) Bluetooth.
Following concensus on these forums based on measurements and science: When using (lossless) usb or spdif input, no audible difference is expected between 'decent' DACs. Hearing a difference would mean either one is defective or simply...bad.

I usually stream Tidal via Chromecast Audio to the optical input. When I want higher resolution than the 24/96 Chromecast supports I connect USB directly. As for it sounding more "musical", the sound seems more cohesive and integrated to me than the D50 did - if that makes any sense. Instead of noticing particular aspects of the music, like sparkly highs, everything just seems to fit together better. Soundstage seems a bit more expansive with the D30 as well. My D50 (in my HT system now) is a decent DAC, and I purchased it based on some of what I read here, but the D30 just seems to integrate better with this system than the D50 did. I realize that the general census here is that numbers don't lie, but I do hear a difference between the Topping D50 (original D50, not D50s) and the Loxjie D30. Yes the D30 measures better than the D50, but there does seem to be a character difference between the two of them. Whatever, the additional features I mentioned in my post above where my main draw to the D30 - and you can't measure those ;)

escape2

It could be placebo on my part, but I vaguely hear a difference between my old Topping D10 (ESS) and Loxjie D30 (AKM). The D30 has just a tiny bit less sparkle in the treble and slightly fuller bass.

Propheticus

But that's while using the built in AMP as well then? Or also while only using as a DAC via pre-out?
Otherwise my response is: uh huh... (as in, i don't buy it until level matched blind test shows a difference can be heard without bias at play.)

Ah well, maybe it's the output voltage / impedance that matches differently with your gear. Who's to say.
All in all indeed a nice feature package and -to my ears at least- nice sound quality for this small and affordable unit.

escape2

But that's while using the built in AMP as well then? Or also while only using as a DAC via pre-out?
While using it as a DAC via pre-out.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I ran a few SPL measurements in REW of my in-room response, understanding that SPL is not exactly the same as "how it sounds," but it's the best I could come up with. Not a scientific test/environment by any means. Loxjie D30 was in "DSD" mode as that results in approximately the same output voltage as Topping D10.

I measured each DAC three times and then averaged the results.

There were a few areas of variances, mainly around 1k-2kHz range and 9k-10kHz range, but small enough to where it could just be a measuring error, so I will not read too much into this. The SPLs are close enough.

Zoomed in on 1k-2kHz range:
LTQKwUx.png

Zoomed in on 9k-10kHz range:
dmifrLA.png

Full frequency range:
LTTIJT3.png

dWDxn1r.png

Full frequency range with psycho-acoustic smoothing applied to the graph:
jx3nucH.png

Top Bottom