• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Review

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Such a rare power cord. I hope you can find one.
That's not the point. For this kind of money, you expect basic things like cables to be right.

Or should that only be expected when you pay $1,000+?

HansWursT619

Actually that power socket is very common around europe.
You should be able to find a US cable for that aswell. The device side plug is called C14.

GeorgeWalk

Shouldn't be hard to find. I have ton of them around my house; most unused. (I save stuff; my thinks I'm a hoarder until she needs something.)

Propheticus

The device side plug is called C14
And the power cord side (female) is IEC C13.
IEC C13/14 is a standard for 'cold' devices under 70 Celsius.

Search term to use "Standard Computer Power Cord" or more specifically for US "NEMA 5-15 to IEC-320-C13"

I can understand the surprise when ordering from a US store. There does not appear to be different options/version you can select.
The description says it includes a (1) power cord and the picture shows the UK plug. I was (pleasantly) surprised it also contained a EU power cord. It is a bit wasteful though.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
Who cares what it's technically called! I was being sarcastic! The things are a dime a dozen. I have at least a dozen of them in the closet and have probably thrown away three times as many.

Propheticus

The sarcasm was quite obvious, but does not help. Not all people hoard old devices' power cables.
They are easy to find, still strange a US store sends UK+EU cables. Wasteful as well.

Labjr

Major Contributor
So much electronic waste. You should expect to re-use them. They could probably power an entire country by burning surplus power cords. If you really don't have one, they're sold on ebay for $1.29 with free shipping. Just search for "power cord". No technical terms needed.

I sometimes work on computers for friends and family and they always bring IEC power cords even when I ask them not to. They're like "I brought them just in case."

Veri

Master Contributor
I sometimes work on computers for friends and family and they always bring IEC power cords even when I ask them not to. They're like "I brought them just in case."
Hahah now that's plain weird.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
still strange a US store sends UK+EU cables. Wasteful as well.
Yes, it just means Loxjie haven't bothered to check the box contents before shipping these units off to Amazon's US warehouse.

Anyway, I've contacted the seller and they're sending me the correct cord. All good.

I do have various boxes with all kinds of old cables, and maybe I do have one of those specific ones - not really sure. I'm hoping not to have to dig through it all if I don't need to. :)

gtb75

Just in case anyone has been considering ordering one of these from HiFi-express, my experience with them has been horrible. I placed my D30 order on November 17th, and when I did I selected "US" in the "Send from" category choice. On November 23rd they e-mailed me a China Post tracking number, and that tracking number has had no status updates since November 21st. Then on December 6th they sent me a USPS tracking number, but that tracking number is still in Pre-Shipment / Label Created status - and has been since December 2nd. When they finally responded with a status update last night it was one line: "The item has been shipped, and will be delivered within a week."

Their responses are slow to nonexistent. If this had actually shipped form the USA it should have been here in no more than a week. Needless to say, my advice would be to avoid HiFi-express at all costs. To add insult to injury, my Eset Internet Security application periodically gives me trojan warnings (https://www.virusradar.com/en/HTML_ScrInject/detail) on their website now. I am tagging @SMSL-Mandy on this post since the Facebook and Twitter links on HiFi-express website redirect to the SMSL pages.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I have a question for those who are actually using D30.
There is a complaint report that the display flicker when switching the input to OPT or COAX in the user review of Amazon.jp,
but what about the actual situation? It doesn't seem to occur with USB.

Propheticus

what about the actual situation?

Tested this for you. Do note I have nothing attached to those inputs.
Indeed there is a sort of flickering in the second A of the word COAXIAL, or in the C of OPTICAL. As if a column of ~2-4pixels turns black instead of white for 1 frame once in a while. It's random in timing.
This does not occur on USB.

Toku

Major Contributor
Tested this for you. Do note I have nothing attached to those inputs.
Indeed there is a sort of flickering in the second A of the word COAXIAL, or in the C of OPTICAL. As if a column of ~2-4pixels turns black instead of white for 1 frame once in a while. It's random in timing.
This does not occur on USB.
Thank you for the confirmation work immediately.
Your report convinced me of the Yahoo.jp post and Loxjie's explanation "due to slow display refresh speed".

xerxes2

Just in case anyone has been considering ordering one of these from HiFi-express, my experience with them has been horrible. I placed my D30 order on November 17th, and when I did I selected "US" in the "Send from" category choice. On November 23rd they e-mailed me a China Post tracking number, and that tracking number has had no status updates since November 21st. Then on December 6th they sent me a USPS tracking number, but that tracking number is still in Pre-Shipment / Label Created status - and has been since December 2nd. When they finally responded with a status update last night it was one line: "The item has been shipped, and will be delivered within a week."

Their responses are slow to nonexistent. If this had actually shipped form the USA it should have been here in no more than a week. Needless to say, my advice would be to avoid HiFi-express at all costs. To add insult to injury, my Eset Internet Security application periodically gives me trojan warnings (https://www.virusradar.com/en/HTML_ScrInject/detail) on their website now. I am tagging @SMSL-Mandy on this post since the Facebook and Twitter links on HiFi-express website redirect to the SMSL pages.
I ordered a D30 this thursday from hifi-express and it looks like they have taken away the US delivery option now. Will see if the EU option still work?

xerxes2

So a happy update from me. The D30 arrived today, EU option works from hifi-express! Went from a 10+ years old cheap Asus soundcard to the D30 and works perfectly. Thought of running optical but there was a usb cable in the box so running through usb instead. Haven't used headphones in a while on my stationary computer but seems to be driving my old AKG K271 mk1 just fine. Running fixed output into my SMSL SA-36a pro and out to Dynavoice Magic S-4 speakers. This is a supreme el cheapo setup. Think I will get some easy to drive Sennheiser HD 559 or HD 560s to use with the D30.

thekenta

Originally wanted to get the Topping E30, but missed out on the Black Friday deal.
Now I ordered this badboy from Amazon since I could get it cheaper than the current E30 price.
I reckon, I wouldn't hear a difference between the two if I mainly use them as DAC via optical?

gtb75

Update on my situation with HiFi-express... They failed to deliver on their promise of my D30 being delivered "within a week". The USPS tracking information has been updated daily for the last four days, but the bottom line is that USPS still hasn't received it yet. This is a Christmas present so I will probably just order one from Amazon and return the one from HiFi-express if it doesn't show up in the next few days. I can only assume HiFi-express lied about this shipping from the US, because this should have taken no more than a week to get this. Again, my suggestion would be to avoid HiFi-express and take your business elsewhere. I am again tagging @SMSL-Mandy so she is aware of the situation.

Toku

Major Contributor
Update on my situation with HiFi-express... They failed to deliver on their promise of my D30 being delivered "within a week". The USPS tracking information has been updated daily for the last four days, but the bottom line is that USPS still hasn't received it yet. This is a Christmas present so I will probably just order one from Amazon and return the one from HiFi-express if it doesn't show up in the next few days. I can only assume HiFi-express lied about this shipping from the US, because this should have taken no more than a week to get this. Again, my suggestion would be to avoid HiFi-express and take your business elsewhere. I am again tagging @SMSL-Mandy so she is aware of the situation.
By your standards of living in the United States, I think it's a difficult situation to understand.
But that is a normal event for Chinese logistics. You must understand that and make a purchase decision.
Especially since the sale of 11.11 to the present, logistics in China has been terribly confused. We recommend that you do not purchase for a while. The turmoil will continue into January.

Currently I am waiting for 7 packages to arrive from China. They will not arrive in Japan after more than double the usual number of days. One of them was left at China Customs for 30 days and returned to the store where the package was shipped today. Anyway, it's a terrible mess.

gtb75

By your standards of living in the United States, I think it's a difficult situation to understand.
But that is a normal event for Chinese logistics. You must understand that and make a purchase decision.
Especially since the sale of 11.11 to the present, logistics in China has been terribly confused. We recommend that you do not purchase for a while. The turmoil will continue into January.

Currently I am waiting for 7 packages to arrive from China. They will not arrive in Japan after more than double the usual number of days. One of them was left at China Customs for 30 days and returned to the store where the package was shipped today. Anyway, it's a terrible mess.

Oh I have ordered from AliExpress and Banggood on multiple occasions so I know what to expect. That being said, when I order stuff from the Banggood US warehouse it shows up in within a week as expected. When I ordered this from the HiFi-express website they said it was shipping from the US warehouse, so it shouldn't have taken the usual 2-4 weeks it usually takes to get something from a CN warehouse. Had I known this was coming from a China warehouse I would have just ordered it from Amazon Prime in the first place, and had it in 2 days. Either HiFi-express is incompetent or they lied about where the DAC was shipping from.

Top Bottom