• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Review

Zek

Major Contributor
I Thinking buy a cable jack to coaxial to connect Headphone output of notebook number 2 to coaxial input of Loxjie.
But I have a presentiment that is not a good idea...
I'm not sure that the 3.5mm output from the laptop has a coaxial SPDIF output, most often it's a combination of an analog output with an optical SPDIF output - in that case you need an optical cable for connection.

didac

My laptop doesn't have optical output.
I'm looking for info about my laptop if Jack 3,5 mm has also spdif function.
THank you :)

didac

So the only option is buy a converter from usb to coaxial and optical output.
in this case I think stay at the moment to Bluetooth solution.

didac

I collected some info.
Laptop is HP 820 g1.
Unfortunatly jack 3,5 mm is only analog without optical output.
And Yes Zek, normally exist jack 3,5 mm as combo analog plus optical output, but it isn't my case.

So, or I stay with BT connection or I have two solutions more:
a) converter from USB to coaxial/optical output
b) looking for a docking station with digital output

In both cases I have to connect another "piece" on the desk (converter or docking) so probably I stay with BT connection.

edit: I'm not sure that docking station has digital output...

Last edited:

Benbow

@xerxes2 The most underwhelming thing with the amp is the noise floor which is audible on my IEM:s. Though if you have headphones in the "sweet sport", not sensitive enough to have an audible noise floor but still sensitive enough to be driven to decent levels, the unit should be overall ok. Not too versatile, but it maybe hits the majority of use cases.
Please excuse me, but I am running into exactly the same problem. I followed the steps in https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/ and set up my Foobar2000. But when playing DSD music, it generates a loud white noise instead of the music. In the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel's ASIO status (I am using it as a USB DAC with my PC running Windows 11), it shows ASIO is in DSD mode, but still it produces only white noise. May I ask if you have managed to find a solution to this issue? Thanks!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please excuse me, but I am running into exactly the same problem. I followed the steps in https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/ and set up my Foobar2000. But when playing DSD music, it generates a loud white noise instead of the music. In the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel's ASIO status (I am using it as a USB DAC with my PC running Windows 11), it shows ASIO is in DSD mode, but still it produces only white noise. May I ask if you have managed to find a solution to this issue? Thanks!

Tagging @solderdude (owner of diyaudioheaven)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 'digital' section is run by Javier. Computers are his day job.
@Benbow can ask the question at DIYAH. Javier is quite responsive and usually happy to help.
I run Linux myself and in the livingroom use a dedicated (offlie) laptop running XP with only Winamp on it. Portable I use FiiO X3 and X3-II.

MikeFox

Just stopping by to drop a hint of potentially important information: I had issues installing the XMOS driver on Windows 11, it was aborting, this was fixed by "Disabling driver signature enforcement". You can google how to do that.

I will be attaching the driver in this post as well for archival purposes, as the new version of the DAC's driver seems to be down from Loxjie's official website, so just in case. (Moderators can remove it if not allowed, I'm just trying to help out).

Attachments

• LOXJIE-DAC-Driver_2020-04-14_setup.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 41

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I suppose you _could_ argue "Disabling driver signature enforcement" isn't so bad as Microsoft haven't revoked the keys for the known-vulnerable signed drivers being exploited by malware. I'm not sure it's a _good_ argument though.

danielsoon

Hey, I have a problem with my Loxjie D30 v.1 (AKM chipset). Suddenly I started hearing crackling on some tracks on Tidal Hi-Fi. I thought it was my amplifier the D30 is connected to, but it's definitely the DAC's fault.
I checked:
-other RCA cables
- other inputs on the amplifier
- I plugged the device into another outlet in the house
- finally, I connected the DAC to a laptop.
This problem occurs with USB and BT input, I don't have a device with optical output, so I haven't checked this input.
There is no crackle if I play the same songs from the Tidal app from my phone and connect it via mini-jack - RCA cable to the amplifier.

The only setting that eliminates the crackling (I think completely, but I'm not 100% sure) is changing the PRE mode from PRE OFF (fixed) to PRE OFF (DSD) (or output for headphones). Do you guys think my DAC is defective? Is there anything else I can check?

Zek

Major Contributor
Is there anything else I can check?
Try to connect the DAC to the computer either via USB or an optical connection and play an audio file from the computer to the DAC and see if there are any anomalies.

danielsoon

Try to connect the DAC to the computer either via USB or an optical connection and play an audio file from the computer to the DAC and see if there are any anomalies.
Unfortunately, yes. For instance, the same song downloaded to FLAC file from Tidal played back in Foobar, gives exactly the same crackles. I can also hear them, on this test: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

There is a pop/tick at the end of the voice informing about the current frequency, and there is a crackle at 100Hz at the end of that voice. If I change the setting in the DAC to Pre-Off (DSD) these pops and crackles are not there.

Top Bottom