• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Review

poppy

Just got mine. Honestly pretty impressed with form factor, feature set and price! Great for a TV 2 channel DAC.

Anyone know the volume control IR codes or how to get it? I'd love get my Nvidia Shield remote to control it.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Anyone know the volume control IR codes or how to get it? I'd love get my Nvidia Shield remote to control it.
If you can cope with an arduino (or know someone who uses them) it's pretty easy to decode/record - tutorials a web search away.

poppy

If you can cope with an arduino (or know someone who uses them) it's pretty easy to decode/record - tutorials a web search away.

Good idea. I don't have one, don't really want to buy for this alone. I will see if I know anyone who has one. I will also try to contact Loxjie.

speculardecay

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, I have been lurking for a while reading reviews and it is very informative. I just ordered the Loxjie D30 after reading a lot about it. While waiting for it to arrive, I was wondering if any of you had an amplifier recommendation to go along with it. I don't need much, I am in the process of building small desktop speakers around these drivers MarkAudio Alpair 5.3 and I want a really simple amp that would be hidden away under my desk, controlled (volume) by the D30. So nothing fancy, as long as it doesn't degrade the signal too much before reaching the speakers.
Thanks a lot!

Dylanbdev

Just got this, and I love it. However, I'm getting some crackling when the base kicks in at high volumes (40+) when pushing to my Aeon 2 Open's. Even on Tidal Masters. Any tips?

Toku

Major Contributor
Just got this, and I love it. However, I'm getting some crackling when the base kicks in at high volumes (40+) when pushing to my Aeon 2 Open's. Even on Tidal Masters. Any tips?
The impedance of the Aeon 2 Open you are using is as low as 13Ω. You may not be able to drive with the D30 headphone amplifier if you turn up the volume.
Try to see if the same symptoms occur with other headphones.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Time to use the Loxjie amp now that i had to remove the L30 from the system :eek:

Dylanbdev

The impedance of the Aeon 2 Open you are using is as low as 13Ω. You may not be able to drive with the D30 headphone amplifier if you turn up the volume.
Try to see if the same symptoms occur with other headphones.

I will do this, thank you for your help. Is there a solution to this for the Aeon 2's? Would a pre-amp solve the issue? Sorry, I am still very new to this.

Veri

Master Contributor
I will do this, thank you for your help. Is there a solution to this for the Aeon 2's? Would a pre-amp solve the issue? Sorry, I am still very new to this.
You're using a very difficult headphone load on a very simple headphone amplifier (D30). You need to use the D30 as a DAC and connect it to something like a JDS Atom / magni heresy / ... and then the external amplifier will not run out of juice and produce better end results.

Sombreuil

Time to use the Loxjie amp now that i had to remove the L30 from the system :eek:
As one of the L30 refugees, I'm looking for a replacement and the D30 is one of the options. Though, some people mentioned the lack of power so I was wondering how "bad" it was? There were some tracks where I was happy to have a +9db option on the L30, would the D30 lack power with a 58x?

Dylanbdev

You're using a very difficult headphone load on a very simple headphone amplifier (D30). You need to use the D30 as a DAC and connect it to something like a JDS Atom / magni heresy / ... and then the external amplifier will not run out of juice and produce better end results.

Thank you for your suggestions! I have ordered the JDS Atom and am very excited to hear the results. This is such a great forum, looking forward to learning more.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As one of the L30 refugees, I'm looking for a replacement and the D30 is one of the options. Though, some people mentioned the lack of power so I was wondering how "bad" it was? There were some tracks where I was happy to have a +9db option on the L30, would the D30 lack power with a 58x?
As it powers the Sundaras fine, I think you will be fine with the 58Xs. From my calculations you will have about max 114 db SPL. So if you dont like hearing damage i guess you will be fine. I will upgrade the amp part in the future though, since power is not everything.

SDX-LV

I am looking for a DAC like this right now and I am super disappointed that D30 does NOT have the EQ like the A30 has. Seems like such an annoying miss on the software side when almost the same Amp product has that cool equalizer feature and this one does not.

Anyway, I might just get Sanskrit instead.

Propheticus

The tone control in the A30 seems to come as a feature of the NJW1194 electronic volume control IC.
The D30 already gets digital volume control in the AK4493EQ DAC and so does not need/use a separate volume control.
So it's not software (only), it's integrated circuit functionality.

aftermast

The tone control in the A30 seems to come as a feature of the NJW1194 electronic volume control IC.
The D30 already gets digital volume control in the AK4493EQ DAC and so does not need/use a separate volume control.
So it's not software (only), it's integrated circuit functionality.

Does anyone know if the digital volume control on the D30 can be accessed by a Raspberry Pi running something like squeezelite or volumio?

I'm looking for a DAC that I can use to directly connected to a 3E TPA3255 amp. Is it beneficial that this DAC can output 3 vrms in pre mode vs something like the Topping E30 at 2 vrms?

Against-Kun

So I got myself one of these. And pretty instantly realised that there is a clicking noise coming through my headphone with it plugged into my power strip, when i plug it into another wall outlet the clicking and hissing goes away as well as when I use a power cord with a ferrite core attached but still on the power strip.
Just a small PSA for anyone that did not think of this himself.

Redacted: It's still there with the ferrite core, just much less audible.

Last edited:

Propheticus

It's not so much a beginner's mistake, it's just I had exactly the same. See a few pages back. I came to two conclusions: 1) powerline adapters are a really bad choice for several reasons, and 2) the D30 internal power supply is bad at rejecting/filtering mains noise.
I've since returned the adapters and bought a tri-band mesh wifi system. This solved all network and audio issues.

Top Bottom