• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any suggestions for low profile passive speakers for SMSL M300 or Loxjie A30? It's not for music. It's for meetings, so clear dialogue is the priority.

The ideal would be to start a new thread for this discussion, so that we can discuss it further.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Small, irregularly spaced screws in the bottom and some more screws in the back, so it might be hard to get the bits back in the right places if I open it up. There might be more screws under the feet, which are glued on, I can't tell. I'll let someone else take pics of the inside. :oops: I'm guessing that's why Amir didn't open it.

This thing sounds great and has tons of power for most digital recordings with my Focal Aria 948s and didn't get hot at max volume for hours of music. I absolutely rocked some Infected Mushroom: More Than Just a Name, the new AC/DC album, and the new Iron Maiden live in Mexico City album. With more dynamic music, e.g. Karl Richter on organ, max volume is more reasonable, but loud enough. With these speakers and this amp, I would say you might want a preamp for dancing parties with vinyl, but really there is tons of volume available. Good thing my wife wasn't here while I was working today. :cool: I am really super impressed @peterwen and I am wondering if Hypex or Purifi is really even worth it for me now. I might just wait for the next thing. The screen, the control knob, the chassis are so nice and just an incredible package at this price.

My speakers are sensitive, but I also have a huge American room. I am guessing this amp would cut it for 95% or more of actual domestic power use applications, especially because it buckles down and delivers current when the impedance dips. Even after reading Amir's review, I am surprised by what this amp delivers. For the TV or desktop applications discussed, you can't go wrong, and it should do just fine in many HiFi applications.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Hmmm. Is this correct? Reading the manual, it seems you have to go into the control to change between amp and phones. SOP is when you plug in phones, it mutes the amp output.

testp

I got this few days ago...

Sounds good to me, through dynaudio audience 52. I was suprised how small this unit is..

Soundwise yeah, i like it better than 20 year old yamaha amp. ive been listening music through cheap samsung earbuds lately and i noticed that with yamaha everything (most frequencies) sounded way too dull/muted in my room (at the time i didnt know the amp might cause this.)
Loxjie sound is way closer to listening music through earbuds.

few things that bother me though:
smaller one, EQ-direct setting sounds definitely little different to EQ tone.. when tones at 0db. perhaps using the EQ other than Direct sends sound through some other pathway..

and the bigger one: i asked Loxjie a simple question like 12 days ago, about power supply and still no answer, not even thank you for emailing us..

i wanted to know, does power supply with 25v. 10 amps improve power output or not... even though my volume is mostly at 20.

Last edited:

testp

Hmmm. Is this correct? Reading the manual, it seems you have to go into the control to change between amp and phones. SOP is when you plug in phones, it mutes the amp output.

if you mean output from Loxjie, then switching to headphone output, mutes speakers and it has a different volume level for heaphone.

Richdw

Quick question:
If I want to use an A30 with a CCA (Chromecast audio), can I power the CCA from the USB port on the A30, then use a short toslink cable to take digital output from the CCA to the A30?

Longer explanation:
I'm asking because using the USB port like this would limit the number of wires flying around, making things neater, and use fewer power outlets. I have a spare CCA and a pair of KEF Cresta 2 (8 0hm, 92dB) speakers that could be used in a small second system. I'd like a solution that has bluetooth (handy for friends), a remote (volume and input at least), neatness (least components/wires/power-outlets required) and the best SINAD throughout for the price, so something like this seems fairly reasonable. My only concerns, apart from the USB query above, are potential lack of output power, and reliability of the external power supply (just had a Douk Audio power supply fail after 3 months)

Another interesting review @amirm, much appreciated.

Any advice or alternative recommendations would be appreciated :)

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quick question:
If I want to use an A30 with a CCA (Chromecast audio), can I power the CCA from the USB port on the A30, then use a short toslink cable to take digital output from the CCA to the A30?
From what I can tell, the A30 doesn't have a USB output port.

Richdw

From what I can tell, the A30 doesn't have a USB output port.
That's what it looks like for sure. I only ask because other devices I have, such as a projector, are able to power the CC device going in to it's HDMI input, through one of the inbuilt usb ports, which seem to be inputs themselves. Is anyone with an A30 able to test this?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Didn't think that was going to work and, nope.

20201128_100419.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Same with me. A shame their support is NOT EXISTING!
Meh... different brands and companies include different levels of service in the mix. As long as they pass some of the savings along to customers I am fine with it. I don't need every company to act like WalMart.

DosThou

Bought mine on October 3rd, still haven't received the amp to this day. Thing was sent from China on October 11st, at first my shipment went around in China mainland for like two weeks before it got returned to shipper (?), waited a few days and no update so I mailed them and crickets, took several days and hounding them on facebook before I got an answer to wait more (yay). Waited half a month (almost forgot about it) and the tracking showed no update so I hounded them again, a bit strongly this time, before getting another reply a week later with a new tracking number which only got updated a week later. Fingers crossed I'm finally getting mine sometime next week.

Honestly didn't expect this level of negligence from an official store. I've had much better experience from Chinese resellers. Probably the last time I'm bothering with this brand. Hope Topping is thinking of getting into this seemingly untapped market of small class-D amps, so few players out there.

testp

agree, but it is a good amp for around 150...

i would like to see something more beefier from someone in the future, with like ~ 92-96 db SINAD, charge around 350 - 500 eur.. why not

Vladetz

I can hardly wait to see the amp Topping has been working on.
There were rumours about new topping power amp? Have not heard
Can you give a source?

Top Bottom