• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for my first streamer

CarlToft

Hey, I am considering buying a pair of Genelec 8030C as my first quality speakers but i want to be able to stream to it.
So i wonder whats the best solution is for a streamer
Max budget $150.

Do you already have a DAC? If you do, then WiiM mini (approx $90) is all you need.
There are Raspberry Pi options at that price but there's a bit more set-up needed.
A laptop will stream for free - USB into a DAC.

If you don't have a DAC then laptop + a $100 DAC will be great.
WiiM Pro Plus breaks your budget but is a good streamer and a good DAC in one

Agree. The WiiM is all you’ll need. Not too many options at your price. But nothing to be worried about, it will do everything you need it to.

Do you already have a DAC? If you do, then WiiM mini (approx $90) is all you need.
There are Raspberry Pi options at that price but there's a bit more set-up needed.
A laptop will stream for free - USB into a DAC.

If you don't have a DAC then laptop + a $100 DAC will be great.
WiiM Pro Plus breaks your budget but is a good streamer and a good DAC in one
I think I can exceed my budget for the WiiM Pro Plus. Does it have Bluetooth connection or only apple airplay and wifi?

I think I can exceed my budget for the WiiM Pro Plus. Does it have Bluetooth connection or only apple airplay and wifi?
Yup, it has Bluetooth

Here's my PiZero2W running Volumio. Works great.

All in: around $60.

Pi Zero.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom