• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for desktop computer "audiophile" speakers

jae

Major Contributor
Neumann is the best choice for your budget. I would say buy KH 80 or wait for the new KH 120s and use the remainder of the budget or save a little bit more to buy a sub if you need more extension.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Neumann is the best choice for your budget. I would say buy KH 80 or wait for the new KH 120s and use the remainder of the budget or save a little bit more to buy a sub if you need more extension.
I have r3 on the desk next to it, I don’t need crazy speakers just ones that sound better than the speaker inside the mac mini of ultrasharp

jae

Major Contributor
Sold me on this
I have r3 on the desk next to it, I don’t need crazy speakers just ones that sound better than the speaker inside the mac mini of ultrasharp
I'm not sure what you consider "crazy" speakers but both the 8030C and KH 80 are technically "better" speakers than the R3, with the exception R3 has more bass extension. Genelec 8030C is marginally better than the KH 80 but they perform virtually the same, so I suggested the Neumann because unless you can get a good deal on the Genelec you will probably be paying $360-450 CAD+tax more for them, which is definitely not worth the difference in performance at this pricepoint (this could be justified if maybe you had other Genelec products you wanted to integrate together). In a lot of markets the value proposition of Neumann is simply better, even sometimes in Canada where the prices of Genelecs are amongst the best in the world. I'm not sure if your budget was USD or CAD, but if you wanted to spend much less and you don't expect a setup comparable/as good as your R3, you can buy something like Kali or JBL which will get very close and make one perfectly happy.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

I'm not sure what you consider "crazy" speakers but both the 8030C and KH 80 are technically "better" speakers than the R3, with the exception R3 has more bass extension. Genelec 8030C is marginally better than the KH 80 but they perform virtually the same, so I suggested the Neumann because unless you can get a good deal on the Genelec you will probably be paying $360-450 CAD+tax more for them, which is definitely not worth the difference in performance at this pricepoint (this could be justified if maybe you had other Genelec products you wanted to integrate together). In a lot of markets the value proposition of Neumann is simply better, even sometimes in Canada where the prices of Genelecs are amongst the best in the world. I'm not sure if your budget was USD or CAD, but if you wanted to spend much less and you don't expect a setup comparable/as good as your R3, you can buy something like Kali or JBL which will get very close and make one perfectly happy.
I don’t need crazy speakers just ones that sound better than the speaker inside the mac mini or ultrasharp

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've decided to wait a bit since we seem to be in a middle of a banking meltdown. Who knows I might have to burn my R11's for fire wood to heat my house.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t need crazy speakers just ones that sound better than the speaker inside the mac mini or ultrasharp
That should be pretty easy to achieve without going near the price of Genelec or Neumann. Check out the active speaker recommendation thread curated by @sweetchaos for starters.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

So basically my desk space absolute height is only around 20cm speaker. All of these suggestions are aboslutely HUGE speakers, minimum 30cm or above, even the tiny genelec is 30cm :(

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So basically my desk space absolute height is only around 20cm speaker. All of these suggestions are aboslutely HUGE speakers, minimum 30cm or above

The Vanatoo Transparent Zero and the iLoud Micro are not huge...

Vantoo_Transparent_Zero_Cat.jpg

iloudmicro-bMjz0bZq6cw014hKs6Dv_GwAyRKFMPTF.jpg

marek

How would Buchardt A500 would fit into such setup? Too big, too much power for a desktop setup where speakers are roughly 1m from the human?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any opinion on the Fostex PM0.3d, if it is worth trying to pick up used? I think it's out of production. Like @simplywyn I have a very small space on my bookshelf to put speakers (max 22cm, just under 9in) and the Fostex is tiny. @sweetchaos has a list of recommended speakers organized by size which I found useful though it's old now.

Amir measured them in 2020 and thought they were OK...

jbattman1016

What's the goal for the set? Is this just background music while working? If you have the ability to EQ the audio out of the PC, you can likely pick up even sets from Creative Labs and achieve decent sound. I've got an old inspire 2.1 set that works great for my desk.

I see sonos mentioned, you can even just get oneif the goal does not require stereo sound.

I know I'm going to get hammered to hell for this, but you can also consider a small soundbar.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

What's the goal for the set? Is this just background music while working? If you have the ability to EQ the audio out of the PC, you can likely pick up even sets from Creative Labs and achieve decent sound. I've got an old inspire 2.1 set that works great for my desk.

I see sonos mentioned, you can even just get oneif the goal does not require stereo sound.

I know I'm going to get hammered to hell for this, but you can also consider a small soundbar.
Basically just getting stereo sound for my desktop that's better than in embedded speaking inside my Mac mini

jbattman1016

Basically just getting stereo sound for my desktop that's better than in embedded speaking inside my Mac mini
How do you plan to get the audio out? Headphone jack/Bluetooth/USB ? This might help with your path. I think your easiest path would be two homepods, since you are using an apple product.
Edit: it looks like the mini is half off right now, so might be a better way to do for only 100.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Ideally USB. Right now the sound is literally coming out of the mac mini (mono I'm assuming). It's "workable" as it's only used as a work computer

jbattman1016

There was another thread about some active bookshelves for nearfield usage. That has some good options, but since you are on a mac, I still recommend the easier route with the pods.

Top Bottom