• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desk setup for listening to music

jespern

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a setup for my desktop, which would primarily be for listening to music while working (everything from Fred Again to Nils Frahm to Fleetwood Mac), as well as random YouTube videos and such. Currently, I've got a pair of iLoud MTM's running through an Adam Sub 8, and I previously had the Adam A5X but got rid of them.

My room also isn't ideal, and treating it isn't _really_ an option, so something with room correction DSP would be needed. It would also need to be stored in the speakers themselves, as I will be primarily playing music through a streamer (EverSolo DMP-A8) so I can't run the software there.

I'm happy to keep the Sub 8 if it pairs well with another setup, but also not married to it.

My list at the moment looks like this:

* Neumann KH120 ii (potentially replacing the Sub 8 with KH750 eventually?) -- KH150's are out of budget
* Genelec 8330A
* KEF LS50 of some variety

My listening position is mostly static, but I move around a bit in the chair and sometimes the desk goes to a standing position.

Am I on the right track or have I gone on a wild goose chase?

Norcal

Aside from DSP, what are you looking to get out of new speakers that the iLouds are lacking?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd go with the KH120s among those, I think you'll have a pretty killer setup right there. AFAIK the EQ options on the LS50 are quite broad and there isn't room correction per se. The 8330A has slightly less flat response than the 120 IIRC.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Objectively the KH120ii wins. It is a new design - more accurate, more power, plays louder with lower distortion, and has deeper bass than the 8330. The Genelec is still an excellent speaker though.

I don't think any of the KEFs have parametric equalization or room correction.

Top Bottom