• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Deadheads and interested Civilians

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A childhood friend of mine maintained “Deadbase” for many years. The internet disrupted that.

khensu

A childhood friend of mine maintained “Deadbase” for many years. The internet disrupted that.

I still have a couple of those, too. That was definitely the go-to before we got all internetty.

OP
A

August West

I still utilize deadbase along with a 3 volume set called The Taping Compendium. At this time that happens almost everyday. I've been transferring my master cassettes to digital and sometimes I forgot to label j-card so I look up the song lists as needed.

khensu

I still utilize deadbase along with a 3 volume set called The Taping Compendium. At this time that happens almost everyday. I've been transferring my master cassettes to digital and sometimes I forgot to label j-card so I look up the song lists as needed.
If you need/want any help, I’d be happy to lend a hand. I don‘t have a Dragon… lol, but I do have a Cassette Deck 2 and a CR-1A that have been chilling in my closet for some years now. I’ve done a number of transfers of cassettes and Beta PCMs for Compendium folks over the years… Harvey Lubar (R.I.P.), Barry Barnes, etc. Either way, I’d love to hear more of your work if making any available at some point was a goal.

OP
A

August West

Let's see if I can jump start something. I am listening to and recording GD 12-26-1981 master aud cassette (Sony D5M with Nakamichi CM 700's). Anybody go to or have listened to it? The whole 81 run is a great subject. The NYE show was epic and legendary.

billybuck

Charlie Miller has some nice recordings out there. Long live the Matrix.
Yes - I should have mentioned in my previous post that my “awakening” in the 00’s was probably due in large part to Charlie’s excellent remastering work. He brought many of those old reels into audiophile territory. And then came the similarly great commercial releases using the Plangent process to eliminate tape wow.

I’m generally not as big a fan of matrixed shows, however. It’s nearly impossible to get the phase correct, meaning the EQ goes funky at times. (Still, matrixes are probably the best way to get a sense of the 74 “Wall of Sound” tour.)

khensu

Let's see if I can jump start something. I am listening to and recording GD 12-26-1981 master aud cassette (Sony D5M with Nakamichi CM 700's). Anybody go to or have listened to it? The whole 81 run is a great subject. The NYE show was epic and legendary.
Not sure if I've heard it. Unfortunately, I was 13 at the time, so definitely was not there.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Song 19 a day at the dentist and song 20 the 11 are stands out in this show. The rest of the show is cool but kinda of normal except for the 2nd song promised land.

Promised land would not be played normally in that slot but later in the set.

I will listen to it to see how they played as I'm guessing pretty good as they were firing on all cylinders at that point.

OP
A

August West

Song 19 a day at the dentist and song 20 the 11 are stands out in this show. The rest of the show is cool but kinda of normal except for the 2nd song promised land.

Promised land would not be played normally in that slot but later in the set.

I will listen to it to see how they played as I'm guessing pretty good as they were firing on all cylinders at that point.
I have not listened to that show since I made the master, but I am working on transferring GD shows to digital. And I decided to do the 1981 run next. I've just finished the 27th and will start with the rest after that. I play the master cassette on a Nak CR7 and it goes to a line mixer for level adjustments and then to a Korg DSD MR 2000 recorder. I use DSD128 and convert to 16-44 for my own listening. The dsd files are my archive.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
I'm confused. You said in the post before mine that you were listening to to the show. Did you not listen to it?

Let's see if I can jump start something. I am listening to and recording GD 12-26-1981 master aud cassette (Sony D5M with Nakamichi CM 700's)

OP
A

August West

I'm confused. You said in the post before mine that you were listening to to the show. Did you not listen to it?

Let's see if I can jump start something. I am listening to and recording GD 12-26-1981 master aud cassette (Sony D5M with Nakamichi CM 700's)
Copying the tape to hd this week was probably the first time I listened to the show since I made the tape in 1981. I have a lot of tapes that fit that description.

OP
A

August West

It's Friday morning and I'm listening to and transferring GD 12-28-1981 from my master cassettes.

OP
A

August West

Its Saturday morning and I'm listening to (and copying) GD 12-31-1981. This is a monster show an on NYE, no less. Iko Iko at midnight, set ends with Morning Dew and Dark Star-Bertha-Good Lovin'. Maybe the best NYE show of them all.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not exactly a dead head but have a few connections, including having done some work on Europe '72, been to a coupla shows. I'll tune in....

khensu

Not exactly a dead head but have a few connections, including having done some work on Europe '72, been to a coupla shows. I'll tune in....
Nice! What kind of work did you do, if you don't mind the question?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! What kind of work did you do, if you don't mind the question?
I arranged Customs documentation for the tour's gear, and some of the forwarding work involved. Found out much later (like 40 years later) that one of my buddies in high school was from the family that gave Bob Weir up for adoption....so had a connection I didn't even know about.

OP
A

August West

I've been transferring a bunch of my favorite shows. I saw 264 of 'em and compiled a list of my top 20 shows. I ended up at 19. I'm being selective here. Next stop is to put those shows in one folder so I can listen to them on my main system.

Top Bottom