• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's get honest with SPL

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Maybe for you but in English it means as I used it.

lay/put (something) to rest​

idiom

: to make someone stop thinking about or believing (something) by showing it is not true
I want to lay/put to rest any lingering doubts about my decision.
You can lay/put those worries to rest now.

No, not for me. You made a mistake. You put an end to laying/putting to rest.

It's either:
I hope this will put an end to Smartphone tests are not reliable belief.
or
I hope this will put Smartphone tests are not reliable belief to a rest.

There's no such idiom as "put an end /.../ to a rest". ;)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Why not decide there is from now on?

That would surely put an end to the matter to a rest.

Byrdsmaniac

If you measure, what is the SPL at your listening position?

This has often been mentioned here and there, but I'd like to compile it and under the same criteria for everyone; only if you have an SPL meter and you measured at your listening position.

I have to compare your answers, it's strange to me that someone would reach 96dB... I read what Amir wrote about Metas not being happiest little speaker at 96dB, but even approaching 90dB and the sound is overwhelming. Does anyone really ever listen at 96 or over? Even if it's just a few songs...
85dB A weighted peaks are loud enough for me. Most listening is 5-10dB lower than that. I mostly listen to jazz and classical. For jazz, I want to be able to hear everything the drummer and bass player doing.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I mostly listen to jazz and classical.
Lacrimoza starting at 65dbZ.

Min-Max.PNG

Lacrimoza.PNG

Seems like 10db peaks are not enough,it's a lot higher.

Edit:About LZpeak,John Mulcahy of REW says that on another forum:

The peak reading is based on the largest absolute sample value seen in each block of audio data. There is no time weighting.

So,figure it out.

Last edited:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
85dB A weighted peaks are loud enough for me. Most listening is 5-10dB lower than that. I mostly listen to jazz and classical. For jazz, I want to be able to hear everything the drummer and bass player doing.
I just played Miles' Something I Dreamed Last Night and some of Bach's Sonata no 3.

I found peaks of ~72dBA seemed appropriate. Interestingly, unlike most contemporary popular music, the difference between dBA and dBC was very minor. Obviously there just isn't as much LF content in a violin concerto or in some traditional jazz.

Then for grins I put on the final movement of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique. Here I measured peaks of ~85dBA and of ~92dBC.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i totally disagree can i say that ? 75dB never will be 75dB the 2ch music the movie multi channel the dB numbers are randomly changing values .
oh if say want that music/movie peak at certain dB level of 75dB but what of upper highs above 8KHz they need to be amplified otherwise all of you , forget it , you'd only best hear 8KHz and above won't be 75 85 it be lot higher dB frequencies between 12KHz and 18KHz at best you head a pinching effect on your ear . to pets dogs cats will find it extremely annoying .

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i totally disagree can i say that ?
I think so. FWIW: I like cats too. :)

Regarding the SPL at any specific frequency or band is a different question. I am not discounting the importance of say 8KHz, but if the question is how loud is Miles Davis' recording playing back at my listening position, we can get granular if that is what we want, but typically a dBC or a dBA average is all that is desired. The question is not how loud is a specific note.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Replying to the initial inquiry.

In casual listening to music I have an average of 78-82 dB, Slow C-Weighted calibrated UMIK on boom mic stand.

For general Tv consumption the average is slightly higher at 80-85 dB.

For Movies and popcorn time there is no average as the volume goes from whispers at 50 dB to Car crashes, explosions and metior strikes at 105 peaks and occasional bass hits peaks (18 - 80 hz) of 115 db. The overly high bass peaks are more than I thought I had dialed in for. Apparently over the years I have somehow??? Slowly bumped up the BASS!!! Having great powerful Subwoofers is a Blessing and a Curse…:eek: I must admit that I may have gotten carried away a bit. A good reminder of our nature to itch to crank up the volume.

Let the Shaming begin.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I think so. FWIW: I like cats too. :)

Regarding the SPL at any specific frequency or band is a different question. I am not discounting the importance of say 8KHz, but if the question is how loud is Miles Davis' recording playing back at my listening position, we can get granular if that is what we want, but typically a dBC or a dBA average is all that is desired. The question is not how loud is a specific note.
how loud is he ? he make have days feels depressed and wants it , quieter softer .
its like how loud is william shatner in star trek II ? i need him here to quote the dialog then i can re-eq the movie make it sound like the shat is in the room .

how loud miles davis ? good question ? sing like he does , you'd feel resonate inside your body . do that on loudspeakers is greatly amplified . fit bass shakers on your seat have them play full-range so they sound from 500Hz down to 20Hz below play miles davis on the speakers adjust the bass shakers level and EQ and sit back and feel it . feel the soul of the music energizing , that's all i can say .

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how loud is he ? he make have days feels depressed and wants it , quieter softer .
its like how loud is william shatner in star trek II ? i need him here to quote the dialog then i can re-eq the movie make it sound like the shat is in the room .

how loud miles davis ? good question ? sing like he does , you'd feel resonate inside your body . do that on loudspeakers is greatly amplified . fit bass shakers on your seat have them play full-range so they sound from 500Hz down to 20Hz below play miles davis on the speakers adjust the bass shakers level and EQ and sit back and feel it . feel the soul of the music energizing , that's all i can say .
I think you missed the point entirely.
Replying to the initial inquiry.

In casual listening to music I have an average of 78-82 dB, Slow C-Weighted calibrated UMIK on boom mic stand.

For general Tv consumption the average is slightly higher at 80-85 dB.

For Movies and popcorn time there is no average as the volume goes from whispers at 50 dB to Car crashes, explosions and metior strikes at 105 peaks and occasional bass hits peaks (18 - 80 hz) of 115 db. The overly high bass peaks are more than I thought I had dialed in for. Apparently over the years I have somehow??? Slowly bumped up the BASS!!! Having great powerful Subwoofers is a Blessing and a Curse…:eek: I must admit that I may have gotten carried away a bit. A good reminder of our nature to itch to crank up the volume.

Let the Shaming begin.
And I thought I was the only one. ;)

Andysu

Major Contributor
I think you missed the point entirely.

And I thought I was the only one. ;)
just listened to some and had played same videos and heard distortion in the recording listen right channel 7sec 8 sec i thought i had to realign my JBL HF horns

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not for me. You made a mistake. You put an end to laying/putting to rest.

It's either:
I hope this will put an end to Smartphone tests are not reliable belief.
or
I hope this will put Smartphone tests are not reliable belief to a rest.

There's no such idiom as "put an end /.../ to a rest". ;)
You miss the point while not knowing the language. Bravo!

What have you meant, BTW?

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
You miss the point while not knowing the language. Bravo!

What have you meant, BTW?
That was just for the laughs. I didn't know it'll get to you.

But, BTW, you're wrong. As the example you quoted clearly shows. Read it again. I know, I know... Doesn't feel nice to be corrected about you first language by someone who speaks it as his second! :D:D

Anyway, I was hoping you'd say:
What are you, commander in chief of the grammar police?

And then I'd say:
Deputy commander in chief!

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Here's a working proposition on how to go about this. I WILL need your help, though.

I'm thinking:
- the same song for everyone that doesn't have distortion and is not heavy in bass, since I also noticed I turn volume up for songs with no bass. Something like Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan - sounds clean and no heavy bass. (I know, some will find it boring and so do I quite frankly, but let's use it or you can come up with another title for everyone).

- I'm interested in how loud you still enjoy it, we're not talking about 10-15 sec cranking it up, at least half an hour of joyful listening

- I'm interested in music, not TV or movies, we can do a separate thread for those

- I can't stand pink noise, it's very unpleasant to me, I have a feeling people will never crank pink noise up as loud as some nice music, I don't know whether we can use it.

- music program has peaks and dips, I'm thinking about reading the average on the meter (they often show this value), if it's the same song, average should be fair, if you agree to this, the poll would have one single number as in; aprox. 75dB, aprox. 80dB and so on (tell me if you think this is wrong)

- there's no right here, I was just amazed reading some members saying they go over 90dB and I wanted to compare and see if they really withstand such loudness since I couldn't

- sure, hearing is different, but I am interested in how loud does it for you, again, there's no right (and I'm not interested in reference), you should turn it up not looking at such trivialities as where the volume knob is or what do peak meters show, just turn it up at what you like and enjoy when it comes to loud and then let's see what it is

- now the weighting; I don't care much about neighbors or police, I'm interested in human perception of loud sound, whether you have neighbors or not, how loud is the sound in your room (by reading your posts, this seems to be A, right?), this is also why I asked about listening position bc big room, small room close to speaker, far from speaker... this things shouldn't matter, only the SPL that reaches you and makes impact on you.

- of course, it'll come out different in treated rooms and untreated, but this will simply show in results and members can point out in comments - I'm listening in a room that has no treatment or with some and so on

- small rooms with a lot of reinforcement and reflections also show on meter at your LP, right? they do add dBs - like a sub next to a large wall is +1,5dB - this would show in measurements, I hope... same thing like 2 or 4 speakers, they add a few dB and you can measure that

Feel free to suggest what I'm missing.
No one is opposing to anything written here? OK, this will be the blueprint for the poll.

AdamG

Forum Donor
10Hz sounds wrong... Can your system do 10Hz?
Some do. Mine does and lower actually. But Frequently is irrelevant if we’re to give you average spl of music. Music is dynamic and all you care about at the moment is loudness of your music right? I think we are making this more complicated than it need be. But it’s ASR and this is a predictable outcome. My recommendation is to keep it simple. As best you can. I also recommend a new thread in poll format.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Why not decide there is from now on?

That would surely put an end to the matter to a rest.
Agreed. Let’s just say for the poll purpose use whatever you have. If that is a phone app then getting your input is better than nothing. JMHO

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Probably because it's in the members area where it should not be.
That's not what I meant. It will be moved to General Audio, but I asked for a few advice before I move it. Since no advice came my way, I'll do it as I proposed.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I put up the poll:

You're all welcome! I'd like to hear your opinion.

Top Bottom