• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tower Speaker position impact on the frequency response

Peupeut

Hello to everyone,

After months of heavy renovation/transformation of the house, I am now available to play and enjoy with my system. I have read a lot of wonderful informations on this site, and also oriented my material selection based on the reviews performed here and your comments.

I will use the opportunity to post something to warmly thanks @abdo123 @ririt @peng @VintageFlanker for their writing and explanation and particularly @OCA for his videos: as I am using Denon material in a Mac environment, millions thanks for your methodology to retrieve frequency response of the speaker for Audyssey App and load it into REW.

I have installed a 7.2.4 system, and I am enjoying myself trying to EQ all this the best way (again, thank you for all the material I found here to play).

The funny thing is in my mind, I am playing for months to EQ the 4 surrounds and the 4 Atmos in ceiling the best way I can, thinking my configuration of the 2 fronts is stable, even I have room mode polluting the low end, with the coverage of the 2 subs, honestly the response is quite good.

But as I was comparing the best speakers position for my surrounds and playing EQ for my ceiling speakers, I noted changes in the frequency responses from my towers (Focal Aria 948). I was surprised because I did not introduced new furnitures in my room, or even thought I did not move the tower speakers .... Curtains are always in the same position...

Checking last month photos of the house, i noticed few centimeters (less than 5... 2 inches for US reader..) variation of the position of the speakers from the wall or the TV. Maybe due to cleaning... I made 3 calibrations with different surrounds positions in June, July and August last summer. By chance I kept those measurements in the Audyssey App.

I attached the response in this post for the Front Left and the Front Right. I do not have such variation for the Center speaker, the response is the same for the 3 calibrations.
I will also attach a picture of the installation.

Just for you to understand: each of the curve is a time aligned/vector averaged of the 8 Audyssey captures, and each of the calibration have been done with a similar positioning on my couch (well...at least in my mind...). The response is not EQ (obviously when you will see it....;)), don't bother on the SPL value, I use the "perfect speaker extractor" from OCA to get the curves. Smoothing is 1/48.

I am sharing this with you just to have your thinking about this, but I will continue to play and move the material. Honestly it is a lot of fun :D

Attachments

• Front Left.jpg
    Front Left.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Front Right.jpg
    Front Right.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • tempImageZr4cR5.png
    tempImageZr4cR5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Top Bottom