• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you High-pass the KEF R2c meta?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing low frequency output of the meta version would be similar to the non-meta version.

It's around -20 dB at 30Hz so we're looking at an in-room output of 86dB at 30 Hz if we take the 96dB trend line.

Kef%20R2c_Compression.png

Distortion at 96dB at 30 Hz seems to be just around 10%, which is really the maximum someone should aim at for low frequencies.

Kef%20R2c%20Center%20Channel%20Harmonic%20Distortion%2096dB%20%40%201m.png

The idea is to pick a correct compromise of directivity (the 5.25 inch woofers will match the directivity of the 5 inch midwoofer better than the 6.5 inch woofers of the R6 meta) but also keep output and extension in mind for Dirac's new Active room correction that will inevitably end up in my room at some point.

What do you think? Should i go for the KEF R6 even though my listening levels will hover around 80-85 db 90% of the time? Or is that overkill? I'm sitting around 2 meters away from my speakers.

Curvature

Major Contributor
The center handles most of the main content in multichannel. I would go for the R6 Meta for that reason alone.

Highpassing depends on your bass management setup, but I'd likely do it anyway. In any case you can test this by ear.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The center handles most of the main content in multichannel. I would go for the R6 Meta for that reason alone.

Highpassing depends on your bass management setup, but I'd likely do it anyway. In any case you can test this by ear.

If i'm highpassing them then the difference between them should be moot for my distances (i'm fine with a single 5.25 inch atm with an aggressive high-pass for example)

I'm mainly looking for a center that i won't be high-passing for Dirac ART. but don't want to overkill it.

Curvature

Major Contributor
You're in philosophical territory. Overkill is reasonable, within limits:)

That said I don't think twin 5" woofers on the R2C really encroach on subs.

quattro98

Forum Donor
My personal preference is to use the subwoofers for bass. I'm not very sophisticated in my thinking. I just ask myself, for a 50 Hz signal, I have the option to use small drivers (5", 6", 7", etc.) or large drivers (9", 12", 15", etc.). Having speakers for the LCR that allow for a fairly low crossover of ≤80 Hz makes sense to me as well, so I don't want a very small speaker in those locations.

Between the R2 & R6, I'd get the R6 and have a less distortion above the chosen crossover frequency. You can also probably choose a lower frequency if desired (preference, ART, or some other reason).

exm

Lots of people are missing something with the usage of subs and size of drivers. The crossover of these centers between LF and MF is (I believe 400 or 450Hz). If you cross them in your receiver/processor at 80Hz? 100H? 120Hz? You still would have to deal with the 80/100/120 - 400Hz range with the LF drivers. That's a crucial range. I rather have 2x6" take care of these in your center compared to 2x5.25". So even if you have 1-2 capable subs: will you cross your center at 400Hz? If not, the size of the drivers matters.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I asked this question on an other thread m:
Could you use three R6 or R2 placed horizontally under a 100” TV rather than two on the side?
If you have experience please chime in!

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I went for the R2 Meta for the following pragmatic reasons:
1) It fits in my tv unit.
2) The R2C was no longer available.
3) It was cheaper.

Note: I think the distortion might be a bit lower on the R2 Meta vs the R2C.

I don't currently have any plans to use Dirac or Dirac ART so I am quite happy to cross to subs at 80Hz.

If the R6 had fitted in my tv unit I probably would have bought that as it wasn't much more expensive. (I still would have crossed to subs at 80 Hz though).

where do you browse for refurbished units by the way?

If you go to the Kef website, they have menu options for "Certified Refurbished" and "Last Chance". I bought the last set of R7's in walnut from there when they released the Meta version.

Last edited:

-Matt-

Your question raises a good point about ART:

Unless all of your speakers are low distortion over full range, ART could be introducing a lot of unwanted distortion by sending deep bass to speakers that aren't well suited to generating those frequencies.

-Matt-

I asked this question on an other thread m:
Could you use three R6 or R2 placed horizontally under a 100” TV rather than two on the side?
If you have experience please chime in!

Not experience but..
Yes, in theory you could.
But this design of speaker actually works better on its side! (When at ear level).

Having two woofers either side of the coaxial mid+tweeter compromises the horizontal directivity slightly, compared to the vertical. (Although, in reality, there isn't much in it). When you put the speaker on its side, the measured vertical directivity of the speaker (which should be a bit better) is what controls how the sound spreads out horizontally into the room (which is usually what you care about most).

When you mount the speaker below the tv (and probably below ear level) it could actually be good to have it horizontal, as the better vertical directivity helps to make it less sensitive to ear height.

So, if all three speakers will be below the tv and below ear level having them horizontal could be good. It would likely be even better to have the L&R mounted vertically and at ear level on either side of the tv (as is usually seen).

Last edited:

-Matt-

Note: I think the distortion might be a bit lower on the R2 Meta vs the R2C.

In Kef's white paper for the Meta series they show the slight improvement in distortion (for the R11) with the introduction of Meta:

1000025847.jpg

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-r-series-with-mat-white-paper.43946/

Having two woofers either side of the coaxial mid+tweeter compromises the horizontal directivity slightly, compared to the vertical. (Although, in reality, there isn't much in it).

Here from the review of the R6 Meta are the horizontal and vertical directivity plots:

Horizontal:
1000025849.jpg

Vertical:
1000025851.jpg

The review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/would-you-high-pass-the-kef-r2c-meta.46106/

Top Bottom