• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you like your music?

How loud do you like your music?

• Under 70dB

Votes: 59 20.3%
  • Around 75dB

Votes: 104 35.9%
  • Around 80dB

Votes: 72 24.8%
  • Around 85dB

Votes: 35 12.1%
  • Around 90dB

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • It has to be over 90dB to enjoy

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters

killdozzer

Major Contributor
  • I'm interested in how loud you enjoy your music. For this purpose I propose A weighted, slow SPL measuring.
  • I'm also proposing a clean, well produced song that is not bass heavy to avoid subjective impressions of low frequencies (Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan).
  • Since music material varies in dB, I propose you start the SPL meter mid-song to avoid the gadget taking the silence before the song into account.
  • You can put dips and peaks into the comment. In the poll, you should enter average SPL. This is one more reason why I propose a song - to avoid having additional variations due to different material.
  • Sources, mastering, edition etc. shouldn't play a major role here. You should just turn it up the way you like it and then measure.
  • The question is about enjoying loud music, not how much you can put up with for a short period of time. It is about SPL you'd enjoy for at least the length of an album.
  • Not all smartphones are reliable, but some are. If you could just enter whether you took measures with a phone, that would be fine.
  • This is about the amount of loudness you like, so imagine you live on a prairie with no neighbors. It's about what you enjoy, not what is allowed.
  • Feel free to add numbers for movies and TV in the comments.

One other thing I almost forgot. It has to be at your listening position. If you're further away from the speakers, you'll need to go louder in order to get what you like at your sitting place, but I'm interested in what reaches you, what you actually hear.

**What motivated me; I've seen people throwing around numbers like 90-96dB and even higher, yet, nearing 80dB average is simply too much for me. I wanted to see the real-world numbers.

Last edited:
OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I did use Hey Nineteen and got 76dB on average (71-81dB dips and peaks) using Decibel X on a Xiaomi phone with a calibrated mic. I used several other apps to see if there are some significant variations, but after calibration, there were none. I measured A-weighted / slow. The loudness was at the top end of what I enjoy when I want to crank it up.

Being in a small (22 sq meters / 237sq feet), untreated listening room (treatments are in the near future), it IS possible I'd go higher in a well treated room.

I do visit some concerts, but I often find them too loud. When I attend chamber music or small club bands, they are usually not louder than what I get at home.

I tried several other songs just to test it, like heavy metal for distortion, again, I did enjoy average of 76dB.

Sokel

Master Contributor
As a lot of people are REW users here it's handy to measure with the SPL meter (after calibrating it of course) and also see the results with the logger included in the same tool.
(as I did on the other thread)

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have measured in the past and about 80 dBA average is around where I like more enthusiastic listening. More than that and it starts to bother my ears, and is more than I would be comfortable with for any sort of length of time.

My brother is one of those "max SPL" folks. I would say well north of 95 dBA for sure, and that's an average value. Drove my old man nuts when we were kids since he would literally pop the window panes in his room playing Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. He used to build the worst speakers out of large PA drivers and horns, and I still have a few of his full-range car audio amps that I fixed, naturally from them overheating. Not from driving subs, but just from them being pushed so hard and so far into clipping driving huge speakers in the back of his car. To say he has presbycusis now is an understatement since everything is just treble after he adjusts the controls.

Scytales

Forum Donor
  • I'm interested in how loud you enjoy your music. For this purpose I propose A weighted, slow SPL measuring.
  • I'm also proposing a clean, well produced song that is not bass heavy to avoid subjective impressions of low frequencies (Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan).
  • Since music material varies in dB, I propose you start the SPL meter mid-song to avoid the gadget taking the silence before the song into account.
  • You can put dips and peaks into the comment. In the poll, you should enter average SPL. This is one more reason why I propose a song - to avoid having additional variations due to different material.
  • Sources, mastering, edition etc. shouldn't play a major role here. You should just turn it up the way you like it and then measure.
  • The question is about enjoying loud music, not how much you can put up with for a short period of time. It is about SPL you'd enjoy for at least the length of an album.
  • Not all smartphones are reliable, but some are. If you could just enter whether you took measures with a phone, that would be fine.
  • This is about the amount of loudness you like, so imagine you live on a prairie with no neighbors. It's about what you enjoy, not what is allowed.
  • Feel free to add numbers for movies and TV in the comments.

One other thing I almost forgot. It has to be at your listening position. If you're further away from the speakers, you'll need to go louder in order to get what you like at your sitting place, but I'm interested in what reaches you, what you actually hear.

**What motivated me; I've seen people throwing around numbers like 90-96dB and even higher, yet, nearing 80dB average is simply too much for me. I wanted to see the real-world numbers.
AMHA, you should also specify the position, distance and height of the SPL-meter from the speakers to get meaningful data.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Too small of a sample, but it's tilting my way. I mean, to lower levels. I thought it would be only me on the lower side.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
IPhone: SPLnFFT App. dB A weighted/slow
Centered at 8' from speakers, head level.

It depends a lot on musical genre and especially recording quality.
I won't crank up a poor recording or on certain genres.

Checked the "Around 90 dB" box.

Song used during measurement: Travis Larson - Axe To Grind

Cars-N-Cans

It depends a lot on musical genre and especially recording quality.
I won't crank up a poor recording or on certain genres.
That is a good point. The type of music definitely factors in. I would say it may be better to use the proposed Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen more as a reference to find something similar spectrally in one's own library that is enjoyable and use that for the reference when recording the SPL levels after choosing a suitable volume. If you are just listening to something analytically then you are unlikely to have the volume any higher than necessary to hear all of the content.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I measured it a while ago with rew and an UMIK-1 microphone and mostly are between 65dB and 85dB, depending on the mood, music style and so. I sit about 2,5 a 3m (8-10ft) from my speakers. Both my speakers in the main setup are diy and build to get over 102dB/2.83v/1m on low power. So i have headroom.

95dB like some claim here, is down here in Belgium the max level of nightclubs, the belgian norm is 95 dB(A)LAeq,15min and "LAmax,slow 102 dB(A" (constant 95dB, peaks to 102dB). At home these levels are crazy loud, and if you got neigbours, they surely will call the police down here when doing this levels at night, even in a freestanding house.

Dal1as

I believe people like myself who use subs with a bass curve may skew above 90 db easilly in this test. I'll have to check when I get home.

I've done this in the past with similar music and the kick drum peaks were over 100db while the majority of the material was probably around 70 to 85.

hege

Forum Donor
I believe people like myself who use subs with a bass curve may skew above 90 db easilly in this test. I'll have to check when I get home.

I've done this in the past with similar music and the kick drum peaks were over 100db while the majority of the material was probably around 70 to 85.

This thread asks specifically to measure in A-weighting (slow average, not peak), which mostly ignores bass. This way there is less variables.

I would guess most answering 90dB+ are probably not using A-weighting, or did not read the "It is about SPL you'd enjoy for at least the length of an album." line. I answered 85dB, even though I can sometimes enjoy much louder for a while.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
As instructed by OP,"Hey Nineteen" dbA slow at my comfortable listening level at MLP.
REW's logger and go:

rest.PNG

logger.PNG

Can someone please explain why LZpeak (largest absolute sample value) goes up there at 109dbZ?

Last edited:

Cars-N-Cans

Can someone please explain why LZpeak (largest absolute sample value) goes up there at 109dbZ?
What happens if you reset it? The song is fairly repetitive so the peak value should be similar once reset. As for the timing, that is roughly where the main bass line starts after the intro, so I would assume this also corresponds to the peak value. Edit: Taking a closer look its around 15s in. There are some drums there right after that, so I assume thats probably what was recorded as the peak dBZ value:

Sokel

Master Contributor
What happens if you reset it? The song is fairly repetitive so the peak value should be similar once reset. As for the timing, that is roughly where the main bass line starts after the intro, so I would assume this also corresponds to the peak value. Edit: Taking a closer look its around 15s in. There are some drums there right after that, so I assume thats probably what was recorded as the peak dBZ value:
Ok did a little test.
I gave it time to see what it does at silence at first,about a minute and then started playing it.
At around 2.30 of the logger I cranked it a little louder and same at 4.00 and then lower it again.
See what happens:

logger 2.PNG

Dal1as

This thread asks specifically to measure in A-weighting (slow average, not peak), which mostly ignores bass. This way there is less variables.

I would guess most answering 90dB+ are probably not using A-weighting, or did not read the "It is about SPL you'd enjoy for at least the length of an album." line. I answered 85dB, even though I can sometimes enjoy much louder for a while.
Aye. My bad. My brain skipped right over the a weighting. Yeah continual 90 db plus with a weighting would be ear bleeding.

Top Bottom