• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lack of 2.1 support is grinding my gears

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
That doesn't fit with my anecdotal experience. Well positioned bad speakers in a good room can sound pretty good and badly positioned good speakers in a bad room are not always great.

It does fit in with my anecdotal experience, but there you go.

Your use of ‘can’ and ‘not always’ doesn’t actually conflict with mine, though.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
How many outputs does Wiim Mini have? So you would run monitors on Digital out and subwoofer on 3.5mm out on Wiim Mini?

Stop complaining about the price and just buy the Wiim Amp. Thread ended.

As I say, the whole purpose of the thread is to discuss the lack of options for 2.1, not to say that as soon as there’s one option the discussion is over.

I do find a few posts in the thread have started to be a little rude, bordering on aggressive.

Please keep it constructive.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I say, the whole purpose of the thread is to discuss the lack of options for 2.1, not to say that as soon as there’s one option the discussion is over.

I do find a few posts in the thread have started to be a little rude, bordering on aggressive.

Please keep it constructive.
That is my thought also.

BobbyTimmons

That was one of my issues. The other was cost.

But further, my objection - and I suppose this is the point of the thread - is that it should be unnecessary.

We have a forum here, we keep an eye on the measurements of DACs and amps because we want to see how well they perform. But then so many members end up driving speakers from AV amps because of their dsp functionality, ability to select crossovers, etc.

There appears to be a market out there for something like an AV amp, but 2.1 - indeed, Marantz and Denon have such units, but they measure appallingly.

Look at this :

Functionally, it’s exactly what we want apart from being 5.1 instead of 2.1, but it measures so poorly.

Then this:

Now there’s your 2.1, but again it’s woeful.

Similar story here:

I’m just noting the gap in the market.
While rightly critiqued from the engineering purist standpoint none of those issues mentioned in the reviews would have any audible influence on the sound quality from the consumer standpoint. They would be too small for you to notice any of those issues in a blind listening test unlike your room which has a huge effect on the sound quality.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
That was one of my issues. The other was cost.

But further, my objection - and I suppose this is the point of the thread - is that it should be unnecessary.

We have a forum here, we keep an eye on the measurements of DACs and amps because we want to see how well they perform. But then so many members end up driving speakers from AV amps because of their dsp functionality, ability to select crossovers, etc.

There appears to be a market out there for something like an AV amp, but 2.1 - indeed, Marantz and Denon have such units, but they measure appallingly.

Look at this :

Functionally, it’s exactly what we want apart from being 5.1 instead of 2.1, but it measures so poorly.

Then this:

Now there’s your 2.1, but again it’s woeful.

Similar story here:

I’m just noting the gap in the market.
There are such stuff,packing lots of functionality and as reliability is really important (as it includes levels,slopes,etc) it is better not to cut corners.
I firmly believe one gets what pays for in the long term.
Example:

nad-M66-Rear.jpeg

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
The market has 2 major segments, 2ch and multich. The only segment that I know of that really does 2.1 is the pc desktop segment. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of us cobbling together a serious 2.1 system.

popej

There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of us cobbling together a serious 2.1 system.
There is no problem with creating good 2.1 system based on AVR. Most probably it would be better, cheaper and more convenient than stacked stereo components.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
There is no problem with creating good 2.1 system based on AVR. Most probably it would be better, cheaper and more convenient than stacked stereo components.

There’s the rub. Audiophiles buying and using AV amps with 3, 5 or more channels of unwanted/unneeded amplification, and poorly measuring amps and DACs, all in a ‘full size’ configuration.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The market has 2 major segments, 2ch and multich. The only segment that I know of that really does 2.1 is the pc desktop segment. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of us cobbling together a serious 2.1 system.

So I suppose this takes us back to my original post.

Point 1 - The majority of speakers reviewed here by Amir and elsewhere by Erin & co. say “you’ll need a sub.”

Point 2 - ‘The PC desktop segment’ presumably includes all those people using the SMSL, Topping and Fosi Audio DACs and amps which have appeared over the last few years.

I’d say that a 2.1 set up is suitable/necessary for anyone into ‘serious hi-fi’ whose speakers don’t go low enough to not need a sub.

Which is the vast majority of us.

Just my opinion.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I use a Marantz m-cr610 in my kitchen. I use it with a pair of Technics sb-f3s and a B&W asw608 sub. The Marantz has several basic 2.1 EQ options and sounds very good to my ears. Can't remember the details of the options available but pretty sure they will be listed in the owners manual, which is easily downloaded.

popej

There’s the rub.
I know :)
I wouldn't buy AVR except I wanted room correction and at that time stereo with room correction was really rare and super expensive. Now we can get stereo receivers, which use AVR parts and offer similar features. But still price is not competitive.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I use a Marantz m-cr610 in my kitchen. I use it with a pair of Technics sb-f3s and a B&W asw608 sub. The Marantz has several basic 2.1 EQ options and sounds very good to my ears. Can't remember the details of the options available but pretty sure they will be listed in the owners manual, which is easily downloaded.

I’ve had a look at the manual, and can’t see any 2.1 options other than a sub out, though I may have missed something.

Many thanks.

Middle Earth

Also soundbars.
If your two channel amplifier has a sub - out or a coax out or a 3.5 mm plug out you can use a powered/active subwoofer. I am chaining 4 subs this way with external amps.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No worries. Not the most comprehensive options but simple and effective...Definitely better than nothing .

Think I use option 4 as the sb-f3s are bookshelves and sounded better to me with the small boost at 400Hz

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
It would be, but if this market were bigger, it should be even cheaper since 2.1 users don't need all the extra hardware.

LouB

There are such stuff,packing lots of functionality and as reliability is really important (as it includes levels,slopes,etc) it is better not to cut corners.
I firmly believe one gets what pays for in the long term.
Example:

View attachment 338844

Now that seems like a great choice, but at 5.5K it's something I can't afford. I do have a question on the Dirac Live Bass Control, is one of the DIRAC features act like a Hi/Low pass filter and prevent the low freq. from the mains ? My impending solution for better bass on the Marantz model 40n 2.1 channel amp is a 4K budget for better speakers probably something with a 12" woofer & no sub.
I have a very nice Paraidigm sub I quit using when I ditched the AVR amp for the Marantz. The sub was fantastic for movies used in a 5.1 set up but it just seems too much for 2 channel music & I prefer music only without the sub.
Next time I buy an amp I'm defiantly now more knowledgeable on what it will do. I thought the Model 40n had an actual Hi/low pass filter but the "bass filter" is strictly a cut off for sub output only.
Thanks

Top Bottom