• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2.1 AMP & Speakers for PC

laserloui

Hi there!

I would love to get a decent 2.1 stereo setup for my PC. I am not gonna buy a Logitech or Bose 2.1 System but would rather have something that delivers better sound.
I only have 1 source, being my PC. So a really good USB connection would be appreciated.

Do i only need an AMP? Or do i need a DAC as well? I would prefer having 1 box to connect my speakers/sub/headphones with and be done with it.

Regarding the sub. I heard its important to be able to set the crossover frequency. So i guess i would need a sub where i set it to 80/150hz right? Because most AMPs only have sub-out. Or how does this work?

Finding the right AMP is my priority right now, but of course i am also looking for decent 3-5inch speakers (should be small for my desktop) as well as a sub.

So far i've found following AMPs:
- SMSL AL200 (no sub-out. can i connect it with L/R chinch to sub that has crossover control?)
- SMSL DL200 (same as AL200)
- SABAJ A30a (a bit pricy and not available in black) xD
- Marantz PM6007 (has no USB - could i connect with something else?)
- Nubert nuConnect ampX (pricy.... but would it be worth it for USB usage?)

My price calculation:
- AMP: 500€
- Speakers: 300€ each
- Sub: 400€

So in total i am looking at 1500€.

A cheaper alternative would be to just buy a decent set of active speakers that have AMP/DAC included. Would this be the better choice for my simple requirement? If so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would prefer having 1 box to connect my speakers/sub/headphones with and be done with it.

Regarding the sub. I heard its important to be able to set the crossover frequency. So i guess i would need a sub where i set it to 80/150hz right? Because most AMPs only have sub-out. Or how does this work?
For a setup with Active sub and Passive mains, the Sabaj A30a would be ideal in that you can properly low-pass the sub and high-pass the mains and configure the crossover point between them:
20220930114315121512.jpeg

However, there's no Headphone Amp included so you'd have to buy that separately.

Alternatively, you could buy a DAC+Headphone Amp AIO (DX1, DX3Pro+, M300 SE, DL200), then couple that with a subwoofer with built-in crossover and active studio monitors.

OP
L

laserloui

For a setup with Active sub and Passive mains, the Sabaj A30a would be ideal in that you can properly low-pass the sub and high-pass the mains and configure the crossover point between them:
View attachment 304731

However, there's no Headphone Amp included so you'd have to buy that separately.

Alternatively, you could buy a DAC+Headphone Amp AIO (DX1, DX3Pro+, M300 SE, DL200), then couple that with a subwoofer with built-in crossover and active studio monitors.

I actually already have a DAC (Steinberg UR22 MKII) with Studio Headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250Ohm).
But then i would need active speakers right? Would that be so bad? Sound Quality with such a setup would be far better than any Bose Companion 50 thingy or so?
I mostly listen to Spotify or to Youtube on my PC.

Do you have any recommendations regarding the Active Speakers / Sub?
I wouldn't mind buying a 200-400€ AMP/DAC solution... that way i could get passive speakers (which is better longterm right?)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Me, I would go for a pair of studio monitors and a sub, it's an easy setup.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But the Steinberg has no AMP so i could only get active speakers right? With active sub and passive speakers hooked up to the Steinberg DAC... would that work?
Which one is it?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry... misstyped. Steinberg is pure DAC...
The UR22 MKII is among other things, a DAC and Headphone Amp.
You could use it for headphones and for outputting sound to an active sub + active speakers.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Buy genelec or Neumann speakers and add a subwoofer later :) if you are not professional music mixing or something important you will probably be fine without subwoofer

Top Bottom