• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lack of 2.1 support is grinding my gears

boxerfan88

I solved the 2.1 problem by using the Topping DM7 (8ch DAC).

Crossover is done digitally in foobar2000, then 2.1 signals are pumped to the DM7.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
2.1 is very niche I guess. most people buying a subwoofer are installing muti-channel.
studio-subwoofers have bass management for 2.1 but they are overpriced

cpachris

Nah, I had one and moved to a minidsp solution which is way better. Digital signal from streamer goes to minidsp SHD studio and digital out goes to Okto DAC8 pro, cheaper, much better(noise and distortion) and way more flexible.

I also have a cheaper version on this for my living room system, streamer digital out to nanodigi to two cheap but high performing SMSL DACs.

fine tuning of delay for multiple subs is essential.

Interesting device. I was assuming that OP was seeking a solution that didn't require changing out other components...but if you are not already married to a nice two channel DAC that you already own...this device seems interesting. It would also solve the "perceived" problem I have of using a miniDSP further down the signal chain where the idea of converting your analog signal back to digital for the DSP and then back to analog again...just seems unnatural.

Are you using a preamplifier in this setup? If so, are you running the main outputs to a preamplifier (assuming a 2-channel based on discussion) but taking the bass outputs directly to a subwoofer(s) and bypassing the preamplifer? In a setup like this...how do you utilize the subs for other inputs (CD, turntable, etc.)?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting device. I was assuming that OP was seeking a solution that didn't require changing out other components...but if you are not already married to a nice two channel DAC that you already own...this device seems interesting. It would also solve the "perceived" problem I have of using a miniDSP further down the signal chain where the idea of converting your analog signal back to digital for the DSP and then back to analog again...just seems unnatural.

Are you using a preamplifier in this setup? If so, are you running the main outputs to a preamplifier (assuming a 2-channel based on discussion) but taking the bass outputs directly to a subwoofer(s) and bypassing the preamplifer? In a setup like this...how do you utilize the subs for other inputs (CD, turntable, etc.)?
No pre amps in any system. All systems are detailed in the links in my signature. The SHD has multiple inputs as does the Yamaha steamer .

melomane13

Camilladsp, raspberrypi, 8 channels usb sound card and you have the perfect preamplifier streamer , crossover , equalizer, convolver, remote command in the same small box for peanuts.

Top Bottom