• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kind of rant regarding what speakers to buy, environmentalism etc.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a physics degree - solid state, power conversion, photo-wells...

OP
R

rubenkemp

@rubenkemp - I thought this book had some interesting suggestions for minimising your environmental impact. Or you could read this article.

As mentioned on the first second page of this thread, I will not reproduce. George Carlin states the obvious. It is humanity that is doing this @Thunder22 . For me, saying 'we cannot change therefore we must not try to change' is the wrong kind of cynicism. Several of his claims are nonsensical, though of course it is comedy. He shows he has prepared this bit well, both in-depth and cadence wise, but I find it lacking in a conclusion. He lives therefore he speeds up the destruction of ecosystems, and there is nothing we can do about that?

@Wes I would if I could. I'm taking more a social science approach though. If the people are the problem, it is very difficult to combat them with thermodynamics and biochemistry (unless we indeed become robots, through genetic modification, like someone mentioned earlier). Meaningful social systemic change is equally as hard as creating a fully sustainable renewable way of producing electricity.

To get back to audio.

I have attached an image with the accompanying question regarding reflections. The wardrobe to the right is solid wood, the file cabinet to the left is steel. Should I be worried about reflections at an angle like that? I suppose the tweeter barely outputs sound that reaches them. Keep in mind that I have stands on the way. To give a sense of scale, the desk is 90cm deep (~2.95ft.), which I suspect to be the main culprit in issues related to future measurements.
a.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
use a pocket mirror to see if the reflections can be an issue; put it flush on the surface of the red thing and the brown cabinet; move so you can look in it from your listening position and see if the speaker is shown

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Humm, some people just seem dedicated to spoiling all the enjoyment of life and are hell bend on turning us all into little robots.
I drive a big, gas guzzling, pickup truck with a massive and safe steel frame under it. I eat at least one very large portion of beef every day. And thinking about my carbon footprint is the very last thing that comes to mind when picking my HiFi gear.
Go bother all those idiots polluting the world with trillions of plastic water bottles when the water coming out of the garden hose is just fine.
A million bottles a minute I understand
180622-plastic-waste-garbage-dump-ac-1017p_cb80269eb6bba7d31804e931aa559e86.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

C'mon maaan. . .

Just buy some carbon credits and all will be right with the environment.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sal needs a Tesla Truck

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Longshan

Buy used-problem solved.

I disagree with the strategy that says making different individual consumer choices is the way we're going to get through this crisis we've created. Without a larger change to the economic structure in which we live, we will not be able to solve our environmental problems.

I hope you get years of listening pleasure from whatever choice you make.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Longshan

I'm not sure if you got your own joke here, so forgive me if you did, but a Supertramp is literally an animal that can survive regardless of what happens to its environment (kind of).

We aren't Supertramps.

Pretty funny, especially if that was unintended.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Longshan

As mentioned on the first second page of this thread, I will not reproduce. George Carlin states the obvious. It is humanity that is doing this @Thunder22 . For me, saying 'we cannot change therefore we must not try to change' is the wrong kind of cynicism. Several of his claims are nonsensical, though of course it is comedy. He shows he has prepared this bit well, both in-depth and cadence wise, but I find it lacking in a conclusion. He lives therefore he speeds up the destruction of ecosystems, and there is nothing we can do about that?

@Wes I would if I could. I'm taking more a social science approach though. If the people are the problem, it is very difficult to combat them with thermodynamics and biochemistry (unless we indeed become robots, through genetic modification, like someone mentioned earlier). Meaningful social systemic change is equally as hard as creating a fully sustainable renewable way of producing electricity.

To get back to audio.

I have attached an image with the accompanying question regarding reflections. The wardrobe to the right is solid wood, the file cabinet to the left is steel. Should I be worried about reflections at an angle like that? I suppose the tweeter barely outputs sound that reaches them. Keep in mind that I have stands on the way. To give a sense of scale, the desk is 90cm deep (~2.95ft.), which I suspect to be the main culprit in issues related to future measurements.View attachment 121129

If you're going for accuracy, I would get some acoustic treatment for the room. If you aren't, I probably wouldn't worry about the cabinets too much. But I would angle the speakers towards your ear if your listening position is seated at the desk, meaning that they would be turned inwards. I'd also move them further apart. That means moving that external drive (or whatever) that I see on right, inwards.

Nice speakers.

Robh3606

If you use a clothes dryer, a dishwasher or own an SUV and leave your lights on stop that and purchase whatever you want!

Rob :)

OP
R

rubenkemp

If you use a clothes dryer, a dishwasher or own an SUV and leave your lights on stop that and purchase whatever you want!

Rob :)

Thanks Rob
Am still a mere student so none of those things apply, i'll make sure to leave the shower on cold as well :)

Top Bottom