• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R6 meta Measurements and Review

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think I understand what you are referring to but doubt that simply lowering the x-over frequency between bass and midrange could cure that. And even if so, it would come at a cost ...

The biggest impact of a lower crossover point would be higher load for the MF driver. Even if you invest extra money into increased excursion and power handling you'd end up with a higher moving mass. And the Uni-Q will work the better, the lower the cone excursion.

I still agree. It's why I went for this setup:

View attachment 301627

LS50 Meta with stereo Lyngdorf BW-2 subs, crossed at 200 Hz LR4 by the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. Sounds great to my ears. It better should, list price (including stands) is actually even a tiny bit above LS60 Wireless. There are some cons but of course also a number of pros compared to LS60.

However, the biggest con of both setups is that neither will allow the integration of a KEF R6 Meta, which is the topic of this thread. I feel guilty.

@Descartes: Sorry, I can't. I'm living over here. You are more likely to find the solution than I am. Shipping costs for speakers will render any import attempts pointless.

I do the same thing but in my opinion 200Hz is overkill and not necessary for the LS50's. I'm in a condo so I can't crank mine but I find at the typical listening levels up to 85db around 10 feet away, a 100Hz 2nd order high pass is enough for my levels. If you listen louder you may need to go up to 120-150Hz 2nd order but I don't see a need to go any higher. If you exclusively use 4th order high pass slope, 120Hz is the absolute highest I would ever go due to subwoofer localization and the fact that 120Hz 4th order is already overkill for distortion. At these lower crossover points, you could integrate an R6 no problem.

As far as a 3-way and lower crossover points of course that would make a better point source, because frequencies above 200Hz are directional and below that not so much. Listening to the R11 is the easiest way to tell since it has dual woofers flanking the UniQ, it's more like a wall of sound instead of a point-source like the LS50. I'm not saying there aren't benefits to the 3-way, I just prefer the LS50 with multiple subwoofers. Oh and my setup for reference:

20211116_220249.jpg

geox

Listening to the R11 is the easiest way to tell since it has dual woofers flanking the UniQ, it's more like a wall of sound instead of a point-source like the LS50
for movies, wall of sound may be preferable to point source. Kef R2c may be the cheapest way to get there

aarons915

Forum Donor
for movies, wall of sound may be preferable to point source. Kef R2c may be the cheapest way to get there

For sure I could see some people liking that sound but the point-source nature of the LS50 is the sound I prefer for music. I agree using R2c or R6c as LCR would be a great LCR option.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
To me the nice trade is the R7 with dual subs cross at 80hz? something very easy to do

The r7 sounds like the sound from the uniq is coming from the center, the W-UNIQ-W doesnt not sound like a wall like the r11 and doesnt sound like the r3 too

Are '' horizontal sweet spot '' is kind of good, im not movie fan btw

The sound kind of does not change, no matter too much where i have the head. I had the R300 ah the UNIQ sound clearly sound on the top and the woofer from the below with the r7, sound like the woofers are hugging the UNIQ in all directions

Last edited:

soerenssen

I asked the dealer about matching the R6 Meta as center with my Reference 3 Meta speakers and they don't recommend it. They obviously recommended going with the Reference 2 or 4, for a better match.

- aluminium drive units are the exact same size on both
- crossover frequencies of the R6 Meta are 500 Hz and 2.4 kHz
- crossover frequencies of the Reference 3 Meta are 450 Hz and 2.1 kHz

What do you think? Would it be that bad of a combination?

aarons915

Forum Donor
I asked the dealer about matching the R6 Meta as center with my Reference 3 Meta speakers and they don't recommend it. They obviously recommended going with the Reference 2 or 4, for a better match.

They don't recommend it because they'll make less money mostly, the R6 meta measures very similarly but of course visually it doesn't quite match and the build quality won't be as high. You'll have to decide if it's worth paying more for the reference.

quattro98

Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the back panel of the R6 Meta & R2 Meta is like? Where are the crossovers mounted and how thick is the material? I am considering wall mounting these as surrounds.

These are mounts I am considering:

soerenssen

Does anyone know what the back panel of the R6 Meta & R2 Meta is like? Where are the crossovers mounted and how thick is the material? I am considering wall mounting these as surrounds.

These are mounts I am considering:
R6 Meta (cm, not inch!):

20230815_181557.jpg

Descartes

Major Contributor

You can always try the R6 and if you don’t like it upgrade to the reference

soerenssen

You can always try the R6 and if you don’t like it upgrade to the reference

I'm having some clarity issues with the R6, sometimes I have to turn on subtitles to understand speech.
I have a Denon x4800h now, I'm using its internal amps to power all the 5 KEFs, including the R6 center. Previously I had an external stereo amp connected to the pre-outs of the Denon to drive the FR/FL, the center had slightly better clarity back then. Could be because the Denon had to drive only the center and the surrounds.
I am wondering if it's because of the lack of external amplification currently or there are other factors (DAC quality, etc.).

Descartes

Major Contributor
I'm having some clarity issues with the R6, sometimes I have to turn on subtitles to understand speech.
I have a Denon x4800h now, I'm using its internal amps to power all the 5 KEFs, including the R6 center. Previously I had an external stereo amp connected to the pre-outs of the Denon to drive the FR/FL, the center had slightly better clarity back then. Could be because the Denon had to drive only the center and the surrounds.
I am wondering if it's because of the lack of external amplification currently or there are other factors (DAC quality, etc.).
These AVR can’t drive 4 Ohm speakers very well!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Why the distortion is high? i said this because these has a huge roll off in their bass, i expected to be very very small distortion in that area
index.php

index.php

fineMen

Major Contributor
What a beast the 6.5" woofer in the R6 meta is...What a beast the 6.5" woofer in the R6 meta is..
Clearly, it compares well even to my 12" p/a drivers. Of course they will fall down the cliff at some point, but until that, what else to ask for?!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Clearly, it compares well even to my 12" p/a drivers. Of course they will fall down the cliff at some point, but until that, what else to ask for?!
i just a bit confused, because the R6 is tuned to <not make subbass> yet i found the bass distortion very similar if not equal to my R7
I guess, is the ports+bigger cabinet who gives that free bass
In my mind, i excepted to be lower to my R7

Descartes

Major Contributor
Hi, again. This time, it's KEF's R6 meta.
View attachment 299594

Impedance
View attachment 299595View attachment 299596

Frequency Response
View attachment 299597
It's pretty flat except for some of the HF above 10 kHz.
The bass extension is 70.7 Hz (-6 dB) with -14dB/oct slope.

Nearfield Measurements

View attachment 299598

Directivity
View attachment 299599View attachment 299600View attachment 299601
View attachment 299602
Overall, it's a very smooth and well-controlled Directivity.

Beamwidth

View attachment 299603View attachment 299604

Narrowest around 5 kHz.
However, this is only a marginal difference that only appears when strictly compared to Reference 2 meta.

Polar plot

View attachment 299605
Due to the chunky mass of these speakers and the horizontally placed units, you can see that most of the sound is only radiating forward.

View attachment 299606
Beautiful attenuation all around, and uniformly controlled HF directivity.

Total Harmonic Distortion

View attachment 299607View attachment 299608
Very POWERFUL and CLEAN!

EHID

View attachment 299609
(If you're curious about EHID, here's a link to learn more.)

Again, this shows very clean THD measurement data.

95dB SPL@1m

View attachment 299610View attachment 299611

EHID
View attachment 299612

WHAT!!?

I'm honestly a little shocked by this one.

Prepare to be amazed.
Let me make it clear again.

View attachment 299621

I can't believe this..

95dB SPL....!

I opened the Klippel project file to double-check that the measurements were done correctly.
And soon, I had no choice but to accept the reality.

This is the insane Loudspeaker...

Multitone test

View attachment 299613View attachment 299614

Again, very clean.
Compared to the Reference 2 meta, it is slightly higher around 1 kHz.

80Hz~
View attachment 299615

Multitone test(with multiple output levels)

View attachment 299616View attachment 299617

I don't know what the hell is going on with this.

The output has increased to 96dB, but the percentage of MDs within 100-300Hz is still the same.
It hasn't increased at all.

What a beast the 6.5" woofer in the R6 meta is...

Compression test
View attachment 299618
We do see some weakness between 100 and 200Hz, but overall it's a strong performer.

View attachment 299619
This speaker was specifically tested to 102dB SPL.

Grill test

View attachment 299620

My personal opinion.

Without a doubt, one of the best speakers out there.
Due to its size and weight class, comparisons to the Reference 2 meta are inevitable, and LF and Directivity are clear wins for the Reference 2 meta.

But if you're willing to compromise with your wallet, you'll be hard pressed to find a center speaker as good as this one.

Now, let's talk about something non-performance related.

I measured both R3 meta and R6 meta.
The owners of these speakers sent them to my studio via pre-order from a distributor.
However, I have returned and exchanged them three times: twice for the R3 meta and once for the R6 meta.

This was due to poor cosmetics.

It was a combination of bad paint and dented units.

There's no denying KEF's design capabilities and that the design is great.
However, having experienced everything from the LS50 to the Reference series, the failure rate of this meta-series is a far cry from what KEF has done in the past.

I don't know if there has been a change in process, but I fervently hope that this has improved.
Thank you for your review, I think a R6 is in my future. It’s too bad they don’t make it in blue like the R3 Meta they look sweet!

Top Bottom