• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 2 meta Measurements and Review.

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Hello, long time no see!
I'm back with a center speaker from the KEF's Reference Series.

I took pictures when I was measuring it, but the pictures provided by the manufacturer are cleaner, so I'm posting it here.

00.png

Impedance

01.png

02.png

Along with a smooth phase response, the linearity is not significantly distorted even at higher power (2.83 V).

Frequency Response

03.png

It has a largely flat FR characteristic, with a bass extension at about 49.3 Hz (-6 dB).
The bass roll-off falls on a gentle slope of about -14 dB/oct.

Thanks to the gentle slope, we can expect a beneficial room gain.

Nearfield Measurements
04.png

Directivity
05.png

06.png

07.png
08.png

As is typical of KEF, it has fantastic directivity controls.
The horizontally placed units make it difficult to achieve uniform horizontal orientation, but KEF has managed to overcome this.

The asymmetry in vertical directivity in the highs after 10kHz is probably due to...

lemon.png

....the orientation of this lemon squeezer.

Beamwidth

09.png

10.png

An even, smooth, controlled beamweed gives us peace of mind.
Thank you, KEF! :)

Polar plot
11.png

Due to the chunky mass of these speakers and the horizontally placed units, you can see that most of the sound is only radiating forward.

12.png

The polar plot of this speaker's vertical plane is closest to what I personally expect an ideal speaker to look like.

I love it.

Total Harmonic Distortion
13.png

14.png

Superclean.

The amount of distortion was so small that we had to increase the y-axis scale.

Equivalent Harmonic Input Distortion at 85dB SPL@1m

15.png

EHID may be new to some of you.

It corrects for the linear distortion of the measurement system (speaker-room-microphone) and provides THD related data as a result.

This allows you to measure THD free from the effects of the room, and it is very accurate.

However, due to the limitations of the method, it has the following constraints

1.It cannot see below F0 of the loudspeaker frequency response.

2.Linear distortions in the speaker itself, such as split vibration of the diaphragm or front baffle response, are also ignored, so it cannot be used for HF measurements.

Therefore, I only used 80 to 500 Hz for this measurement.

Anyway...

The performance is incredible!
Even at 80Hz, the THD is no more than 0.5%.

95dB SPL@1m

16.png

17.png

18.png

Even with the output cranked up to 95dB SPL, there's quite a bit of defense against distortion.

This guy still has plenty of room to spare.

Multitone test
19.png

20.png

It doesn't even achieve a maximum of -35dB.
It hits -45 to 50 dB in almost all areas.
Again, that's tremendous performance.

21.png

I remeasured using only measurement signals above 80 Hz.
(The speaker and microphone positions are fixed, and this is all automated).

Interestingly, despite being a closed speaker, the MD was reduced in the HF as well as the LF.

I don't know why.

Multitone test(with multiple output levels)

22.png

23.png

Again, SuperClean.

Even at 96dB SPL@1m, it's only -35dB.

That's phenomenal for a 6.5-inch loudspeaker with bandwidth down to about 50Hz in a closed construction.

Compression test

24.png

Center speakers are often used in movie or gaming setups.

As such, they need to be able to handle momentary peaks.
If you want to see the limits of this loudspeaker, you might want to ruin your ears before you do.

HF -2dB knob

25.png

On the back of this speaker was a knob to attenuate the HF by -2dB.

And I measured the impact of that.

My personal opinion.

Given its beautiful appearance, ample bandwidth and performance, and neatly controlled directivity, I think this is one of the best center speakers out there.

Last edited:

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It should deliver at this price point and it obviously does. Interesting enough, KEF is advertising it in Germany for "people with small listening rooms" :oops:

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course not.

Our au pair from Germany thinks “everything in Australia is huge”

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As good as it gets! Thanks for the review, excellent job.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
With Reference 2 Meta already being state of the art, what does Reference 4 Meta get you, seeing that the compression test is already flawless?

It's nice to know you're getting your money's worth even if you're getting the smaller center channel.

It would be nice to see Kef R6 Meta next (similar driver setup, 1" tweeter, 5" midrange, 2x6.5" woofers).

Thanks for the review @Nuyes and thanks for Kef for their engineering.

Don't stop testing Kef speakers! ;)

Last edited:

sifi36

With Reference 2 Meta already being state of the art, what does Reference 4 Meta get you, seeing that the compression test is already flawless?

It's nice to know you're getting your money's worth even if you're getting the smaller center channel.

It would be nice to see Kef R6 Meta next (similar driver setup, 1" tweeter, 5" midrange, 2x6.5" woofers).

Looking at KEF’s website, it’s 2.5dB greater peak output, 2 dB greater sensitivity, another 100W of power handling and an F3 of 58Hz rather than 80Hz. Given the performance on display in this thread, I can’t see the Reference 4 Meta being necessary unless your listening distance is over 4m.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer

I have already measured the R6 meta and have the data.

See you soon :)

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Thank you very much for sharing those impressive measurements and also looking for new distortion metrics.
I recently completed Klippel Online Training 1-5 to get better at the measurements and data interpretation required for loudspeaker reviews.

EHID is one of the things I learned.

스크린샷 2023-07-17 오전 9.20.01.png
스크린샷 2023-07-17 오전 9.20.10.png

Linear distortion from speakers, microphones, and rooms manifests itself in the 2nd and 3rd harmonic components in the same way, and by correcting for this overlap, we can get THD related data that removes the effects of linear distortion (room).
This simplifies the interpretation of THD.

I am very excited to be able to share this with you.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer

I have already measured the R6 meta and have the data.

See you soon :)

I kept my word! :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently completed Klippel Online Training 1-5 to get better at the measurements and data interpretation required for loudspeaker reviews.

EHID is one of the things I learned.

View attachment 299567View attachment 299568

Linear distortion from speakers, microphones, and rooms manifests itself in the 2nd and 3rd harmonic components in the same way, and by correcting for this overlap, we can get THD related data that removes the effects of linear distortion (room).
This simplifies the interpretation of THD.

I am very excited to be able to share this with you.
Thank you very much for doing so!
@amirm, maybe this thorough review could be pinned to the review page?

Opal

If i have a subwoofer and listen to moderate volume, what are the reasons for me to still buy this over the R6 Meta? Hmm

Hart

I wonder if the Kef R200c will get you most of the way there for a lot less money?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

I can’t say I’m familiar with the concept of characteristic harmonic distortion, what is its practical meaning? It seems to be way lower than “classic” harmonic distortion. In the two plots above at 100Hz, for example, the THD is about 2% while the CHD is only about 0.37%. A missed marketing opportunity for manufacturers?

Top Bottom