• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R6 meta Measurements and Review

KING DRANZER

R6 Meta is looking better than R3 Meta for HT. But costs a lot more. So yeah. Have to take that into consideration.

Now wait is for KEF R2 Meta. Hope review of it drops soon. I guess very few are interested in it.

jackocleebrown

Technical Expert
Audio Company
@davidbosch @jackocleebrown

Hello gentlemen, If you could kindly entertain this small question I have over this design I would really appreciate it.

Is there a reason why you guys didn’t go for a higher crossover between the uni-q and the midwoofers? An amateur like me is under the impression that a crossover at 700Hz instead of 500Hz would yield a smoother horizontal directivity. Thank you!
Hi Abdo123,

The midwoofer horizontal spacing causes the horizontal directivity to narrow relatively low in frequency. If you compare the normalised directivity contours provided by @Nuyes you can see that the horizontal -3dB width drops below +-50deg at 300Hz, whereas vertically it's above +-50deg all the way up to 1000Hz. 500Hz crossover gives a good compromise between getting reasonable horizontal responses at least out to +-60deg while not requiring too much MF power or displacement so that compression and distortion isn't compromised. If we push the crossover frequency higher than this the horizontal responses would get worse, but the MF driver would be really cruising and could be played extremely loud without any sweat (but then the LF section couldn't keep up with it anyhow).

Hope that makes sense, let me know if I've not addressed the question you were answering!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Abdo123,

The midwoofer horizontal spacing causes the horizontal directivity to narrow relatively low in frequency. If you compare the normalised directivity contours provided by @Nuyes you can see that the horizontal -3dB width drops below +-50deg at 300Hz, whereas vertically it's above +-50deg all the way up to 1000Hz. 500Hz crossover gives a good compromise between getting reasonable horizontal responses at least out to +-60deg while not requiring too much MF power or displacement so that compression and distortion isn't compromised. If we push the crossover frequency higher than this the horizontal responses would get worse, but the MF driver would be really cruising and could be played extremely loud without any sweat (but then the LF section couldn't keep up with it anyhow).

Hope that makes sense, let me know if I've not addressed the question you were answering!

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

Currently I'm weighing the pros and cons of the KEF R2 meta and the KEF R6 meta, I like the slightly improved horizontal radiation due to the smaller driver spacing of the R2, but at the same time I question whether I might regret not getting the speaker that can get louder.

Could you share the conditions you guys use to measure your 'Maximum Output' specification? If you could do me one better and tell me how much linear excursion I should expect out of these bass drivers then I would probably become a customer way faster than I expected.

KING DRANZER

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

Currently I'm weighing the pros and cons of the KEF R2 meta and the KEF R6 meta, I like the slightly improved horizontal radiation due to the smaller driver spacing of the R2, but at the same time I question whether I might regret not getting the speaker that can get louder.

Could you share the conditions you guys use to measure your 'Maximum Output' specification? If you could do me one better and tell me how much linear excursion I should expect out of these bass drivers then I would probably become a customer way faster than I expected.
I would seriously like to know the difference between R2 Meta and R6 Meta. How much difference is there. In dynamics imaging and accuracy. I guess Dynamics gonna take a huge hit. But how much difference is there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Polar plot

09.png

That 'polar plot' resolution (data points) is shockingly bad. It's absolute garbage. Nowhere near enough data points or steps IMO.

seanhyatt

Hi, again.

This time, it's KEF's R6 meta.

View attachment 299594

Impedance
View attachment 299595View attachment 299596

Frequency Response
View attachment 299597
It's pretty flat except for some of the HF above 10 kHz.
The bass extension is 70.7 Hz (-6 dB) with -14dB/oct slope.

Nearfield Measurements

View attachment 299598

Directivity
View attachment 299599View attachment 299600View attachment 299601
View attachment 299602
Overall, it's a very smooth and well-controlled Directivity.

Beamwidth

View attachment 299603View attachment 299604

Narrowest around 5 kHz.
However, this is only a marginal difference that only appears when strictly compared to Reference 2 meta.

Polar plot

View attachment 299605
Due to the chunky mass of these speakers and the horizontally placed units, you can see that most of the sound is only radiating forward.

View attachment 299606
Beautiful attenuation all around, and uniformly controlled HF directivity.

Total Harmonic Distortion

View attachment 299607View attachment 299608
Very POWERFUL and CLEAN!

EHID

View attachment 299609
(If you're curious about EHID, here's a link to learn more.)

Again, this shows very clean THD measurement data.

95dB SPL@1m

View attachment 299610View attachment 299611

EHID
View attachment 299612

WHAT!!?

I'm honestly a little shocked by this one.

Prepare to be amazed.
Let me make it clear again.

View attachment 299621

I can't believe this..

95dB SPL....!

I opened the Klippel project file to double-check that the measurements were done correctly.
And soon, I had no choice but to accept the reality.

This is the insane Loudspeaker...

Multitone test

View attachment 299613View attachment 299614

Again, very clean.
Compared to the Reference 2 meta, it is slightly higher around 1 kHz.

80Hz~
View attachment 299615

Multitone test(with multiple output levels)

View attachment 299616View attachment 299617

I don't know what the hell is going on with this.

The output has increased to 96dB, but the percentage of MDs within 100-300Hz is still the same.
It hasn't increased at all.

What a beast the 6.5" woofer in the R6 meta is...

Compression test
View attachment 299618
We do see some weakness between 100 and 200Hz, but overall it's a strong performer.

View attachment 299619
This speaker was specifically tested to 102dB SPL.

Grill test

View attachment 299620

My personal opinion.

Without a doubt, one of the best speakers out there.
Due to its size and weight class, comparisons to the Reference 2 meta are inevitable, and LF and Directivity are clear wins for the Reference 2 meta.

But if you're willing to compromise with your wallet, you'll be hard pressed to find a center speaker as good as this one.

Now, let's talk about something non-performance related.

I measured both R3 meta and R6 meta.
The owners of these speakers sent them to my studio via pre-order from a distributor.
However, I have returned and exchanged them three times: twice for the R3 meta and once for the R6 meta.

This was due to poor cosmetics.

It was a combination of bad paint and dented units.

There's no denying KEF's design capabilities and that the design is great.
However, having experienced everything from the LS50 to the Reference series, the failure rate of this meta-series is a far cry from what KEF has done in the past.

I don't know if there has been a change in process, but I fervently hope that this has improved“However, I have returned and exchanged them three times: twice for the R3 meta and once for the R6 meta.”
“However, I have returned and exchanged them three times: twice for the R3 meta and once for the R6 meta.”

I had the same issue with my R11 non metas. I stated a thread about it.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Seems like the whole new R meta series is taking the speaker world by storm!

All of them, 3, 6 and even 8 (limitations considered) are really well designed.

Now I just miss a subwoofer that moves a dual opposed 10 or 12 inch woofer... ;)

Mario Sanchez

What can I say? Can't really nitpick even if I try, except a tiiiiiny thing...
It appears that hor. beamwidth around 2KHz widens quite a bit in both the Reference 2 meta and the R6 meta, and the contour shows a bit of anomaly between there and 6 or 7KHz. This might have something to do with the dimension and geometry of the box? I guess my ears were right when I equalized the R6M for flat LW and felt a tad too much "bite" in some vocals, probably too much energy radiated into the room there when tuned that way. I ended up leaving the 2-3Khz area alone.
I'm not much for looks, if rounding over the corners helps dampen that widening, then I'll start asking my local woodworkers...

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears that hor. beamwidth around 2KHz widens quite a bit in both the Reference 2 meta and the R6 meta, and the contour shows a bit of anomaly between there and 6 or 7KHz. This might have something to do with the dimension and geometry of the box? I guess my ears were right when I equalized the R6M for flat LW and felt a tad too much "bite" in some vocals, probably too much energy radiated into the room there when tuned that way. I ended up leaving the 2-3Khz area alone.
I'm not much for looks, if rounding over the corners helps dampen that widening, then I'll start asking my local woodworkers...
check the response i received a few posts ago. it's not about the rounding over (the shadow flare fixes that).

windwolf447

On the R6 Meta polar, the widening around the 2kHz (I probably would say from 1k to 3kHz) area is mainly to do with the crossover transition from the dual woofers to the mid-range. If you have to design a speaker that fits between the bottom of the TV and the top of the TV cabinet, with some decent LF output capability, the dual woofer layout is probably the only way to go. But because of the distance between the woofers, they will start to beam inevitably quite early in the frequency range, resulting in this sort of narrow beamwidth area from 400Hz to 1000Hz crossing over to the midrange. During the design of the R2c and R6c Meta, this is one of the tricky things to deal with when balancing the system. Yes we could cross it much lower before the beaming happens, but then we will run into the mid-range power handling/distortion issue, which is very important for a home theater center channel (And Jack has mentioned what would happen if crossing higher). It took us quite a few iterations and lots of listening sessions till we settle on the current design.

Roundover of the cabinet edge doesn't help with this issue, but it helps reduce diffraction. Saying that, for a round-over to be really effective one would need a radius at least bigger than 1/4 of the wavelength of the frequency at which the diffraction happens. The wider/bigger the baffle the lower the diffraction ripple starts to happen. So if you have to do that on the R6 Meta you will end up cutting away part of the woofer which is not advisable :). We have the shadow flare which helps with this issue a bit, and certainly we have taken this issue into account during the balancing.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@davidbosch @jackocleebrown

Hello gentlemen, If you could kindly entertain this small question I have over this design I would really appreciate it.

Is there a reason why you guys didn’t go for a higher crossover between the uni-q and the midwoofers? An amateur like me is under the impression that a crossover at 700Hz instead of 500Hz would yield a smoother horizontal directivity. Thank you!

In addition to what @jackocleebrown said, I personally think the midwoofer in 3-way KEFs should be crossed as low as possible to preserve the point-source effect they are known for. When I was carefully A/Bing the R3 to the LS50, the LS50 created a "point-source" quality much more convincingly. Of course this is a tradeoff for the 3-way being able to play louder with more bass. I think a 3-way with an LS50 midwoofer crossed over around 150-200Hz would be a very interesting speaker.

Mario Sanchez

On the R6 Meta polar, the widening around the 2kHz (I probably would say from 1k to 3kHz) area is mainly to do with the crossover transition from the dual woofers to the mid-range. If you have to design a speaker that fits between the bottom of the TV and the top of the TV cabinet, with some decent LF output capability, the dual woofer layout is probably the only way to go. But because of the distance between the woofers, they will start to beam inevitably quite early in the frequency range, resulting in this sort of narrow beamwidth area from 400Hz to 1000Hz crossing over to the midrange. During the design of the R2c and R6c Meta, this is one of the tricky things to deal with when balancing the system. Yes we could cross it much lower before the beaming happens, but then we will run into the mid-range power handling/distortion issue, which is very important for a home theater center channel (And Jack has mentioned what would happen if crossing higher). It took us quite a few iterations and lots of listening sessions till we settle on the current design.

Roundover of the cabinet edge doesn't help with this issue, but it helps reduce diffraction. Saying that, for a round-over to be really effective one would need a radius at least bigger than 1/4 of the wavelength of the frequency at which the diffraction happens. The wider/bigger the baffle the lower the diffraction ripple starts to happen. So if you have to do that on the R6 Meta you will end up cutting away part of the woofer which is not advisable :). We have the shadow flare which helps with this issue a bit, and certainly we have taken this issue into account during the balancing.
Thank you for that information, at least now I won't be voiding my warranty for no gain:D

Vacceo

Major Contributor

Bring back the shape of the old KEF IQ series with the last two decades of improvement! :)

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it a good idea to combine this with a pair of Reference 3 Meta for LCR?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Great measurements ! Thank you
Killer value but I still think having another R3 as centre speaker in vertical is a better deal
The issue is KEF will not sell a single R3 Meta

harkpabst

Where is over here? Not in the US
Just tap on the username and the pop-up profile will tell you where "over here" is :) And I can confirm the fact that single R3s are available overhere. :D

Once you enter your own location, this trick will work for yourself as well.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Just tap on the username and the pop-up profile will tell you where "over here" is :) And I can confirm the fact that single R3s are available overhere. :D

Once you enter your own location, this trick will work for yourself as well.
Please let me know a dealer that sells KEF R3 Single in the US?

harkpabst

In addition to what @jackocleebrown said, I personally think the midwoofer in 3-way KEFs should be crossed as low as possible to preserve the point-source effect they are known for. When I was carefully A/Bing the R3 to the LS50, the LS50 created a "point-source" quality much more convincingly.
I think I understand what you are referring to but doubt that simply lowering the x-over frequency between bass and midrange could cure that. And even if so, it would come at a cost ...

Of course this is a tradeoff for the 3-way being able to play louder with more bass.
The biggest impact of a lower crossover point would be higher load for the MF driver. Even if you invest extra money into increased excursion and power handling you'd end up with a higher moving mass. And the Uni-Q will work the better, the lower the cone excursion.

I think a 3-way with an LS50 midwoofer crossed over around 150-200Hz would be a very interesting speaker.
I still agree. It's why I went for this setup:

LS50M_BW-2_1440x1920.jpg

LS50 Meta with stereo Lyngdorf BW-2 subs, crossed at 200 Hz LR4 by the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. Sounds great to my ears. It better should, list price (including stands) is actually even a tiny bit above LS60 Wireless. There are some cons but of course also a number of pros compared to LS60.

However, the biggest con of both setups is that neither will allow the integration of a KEF R6 Meta, which is the topic of this thread. I feel guilty.

@Descartes: Sorry, I can't. I'm living over here. You are more likely to find the solution than I am. Shipping costs for speakers will render any import attempts pointless.

Top Bottom