• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R6 meta Measurements and Review

AudioScience Enthusiast

Just got my R6 Meta.

While it's wide directionality is impressive, but for some reasons, I am not getting any additional low frequency performance (rated at 65Hz@-3dB) compared to the Polk Reserve R350 (rated at 75Hz@-3dB) that it replaces.

Especially during dialog, it's missing the vibration of the human voice's lower registers.

Does anyone know what is the appropriate way to give the R6 Meta some boost when outputting human voices. I can think of:

1. Go to my Dirac Live AVR to bump up R6 Meta curve in the low frequencies zone?

2. Make the Crossover of center channel lower?

3. Both of the above?

4. Something else?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got my R6 Meta.

While it's wide directionality is impressive, but for some reasons, I am not getting any additional low frequency performance (rated at 65Hz@-3dB) compared to the Polk Reserve R350 (rated at 75Hz@-3dB) that it replaces.

Especially during dialog, it's missing the vibration of the human voice's lower registers.

Does anyone know what is the appropriate way to give the R6 Meta some boost when outputting human voices. I can think of:

1. Go to my Dirac Live AVR to bump up R6 Meta curve in the low frequencies zone?

3. Both of the above?

4. Something else?
I don't use DIRAC so don't know how you can configure that. But if you want more low end extension on your speaker then I'd put in a Low Shelf parametric filter of +5dB just before the speaker start to roll off. So with your 65Hz@-3dB (roll off), then I'd put in something like Low Shelf at 100Hz, +5dB, Q0.707. So you're basically just artificially lowering the roll off point of the speaker. That would give you a slightly boosted response at 100Hz, more so than normal, but any RoomEQ you do on top of that would bring that back down to your target. So with that filter in place you should get another 20Hz more low bass extension judging by the slope of the roll-off:
index.php

However, how come you're saying your KEF R6 is rated at -3dB at 65Hz, because in the above graph you can see that it's already at -6dB at 70Hz - in reality 65Hz is at -30dB! Either way, if you add in a +5dB Low Shelf Filter then you'll get another 20Hz more bass extension based on that slow and consistent roll off (well just under an extra 20Hz actually).

Last edited:

exm

Just got my R6 Meta.

3. Both of the above?

4. Something else?
I assume you reran Dirac RoomEQ?

AudioScience Enthusiast

I don't use DIRAC so don't know how you can configure that. But if you want more low end extension on your speaker then I'd put in a Low Shelf parametric filter of +5dB just before the speaker start to roll off. So with your 65Hz@-3dB (roll off), then I'd put in something like Low Shelf at 100Hz, +5dB, Q0.707.
Dirac doesn't have "low shelf" function but I can edit the Center Channel "target curve" for R6 Meta to achieve the same effect that you suggested! Thanks.
So you're basically just artificially lowering the roll off point of the speaker. That would give you a slightly boosted response at 100Hz, more so than normal, but any RoomEQ you do on top of that would bring that back down to your target. So with that filter in place you should get another 20Hz more low bass extension judging by the slope of the roll-off:
Logically yes, the Low Shelf will delay the roll off, but Dirac "recommends" 100Hz crossover based on the capability of R6 Meta, so I will be testing a non-recommended crossover of 50Hz or even lower to see if the Center Channel will output the effects of the Low Shelf and still integrate well with the rest of the channels (Front, Surround, Heights) all set to 100Hz crossover.

index.php

However, how come you're saying your KEF R6 is rated at -3dB at 65Hz, because in the above graph you can see that it's already at -6dB at 70Hz - in reality 65Hz is at -30dB!
Thanks for quoting the graph! I mentioned R6 Meta rated at -3dB at 65Hz, because that's what their marketing says on KEF's page:
1706067917317.png

I am actually surprised by the correct measurement that it does roll off much earlier and is frequency response at 65Hz is much lower than the stated -3dB.

AudioScience Enthusiast

I assume you reran Dirac RoomEQ?
I tweaked Dirac's target curve, will be testing the "Low Shelf" effects at different crossover for R6 Meta (eg. 50Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz) to see when the boost is most audible and if it still integrates well.

Since this is listening test, I will need some time but for sure I will report back!

exm

I tweaked Dirac's target curve, will be testing the "Low Shelf" effects at different crossover for R6 Meta (eg. 50Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz) to see when the boost is most audible and if it still integrates well.

Since this is listening test, I will need some time but for sure I will report back!

You definitely need to rerun RoomEQ to properly EQ your new speaker!

AudioScience Enthusiast

You definitely need to rerun RoomEQ to properly EQ your new speaker!

If you are asking if I have run Dirac Live room EQ after my center channel was replaced with R6 Meta, then yes I have run it, that’s when I was surprised its low frequency performance was not as advertised by KEF.

After a “Low Shelf” was applied to the target curve, the low frequencies have improved but not the best possible yet.

So I still need to test if a low crossover of 50hz or 100hz works better by doing some listening tests. Also I plan on using UMIk 1 to get some REW graphs to compare the effects of Low Shelf at different crossovers points

Gorth33

Hello

I tried Kef R2C last year to match with my Kef Reference 3 front speakers.
I didn’t keep it a long time because i wasn’t satisfied with it.I felt that male voices seemed like they stay inside the box. As they were muffled.
Do you feel the same issue with the R6 Meta as a center channel ?

Last edited:

exm

Hello

I tried Kef R2C last year to match with my Kef Reference 3 front speakers.
I didn’t keep it a long time because i wasn’t satisfied with it.I felt that male voices seemed like they stay inside the box. As they were muffled.
Do you feel the same issue with the R6 Meta as a center channel ?

Did you try the Kef R2 Meta or the non-Meta R2c?

Is the Reference 2 Meta in your budget?

Gorth33

Did you try the Kef R2 Meta or the non-Meta R2c?

Is the Reference 2 Meta in your budget?
I tried the Non-Meta R2C.
I'm looking for the R6-Meta that’s why I wish to know if it have the same issue.

Last edited:

exm

I tried the Non-Meta R2C.
I'm looking for the R6-Meta that’s why I wish to know if it have the same issue.

My mains are Reference 5s NM. I used to have the older Reference 204/2c previously. I tried:
- R2c NM
- R6 Meta
- Reference 4 NM
- Reference 2 Meta (my current center)

I found the R6 Meta definitely to open up more than the R2c NM, and obviously the larger woofers allow a comfortable 80Hz crossover, but the Reference centers really opened up another dimension. So yes, the R6 Meta is better, but you might want to save some money for the Reference 2 Meta (good dealers will give you a decent discount off MSRP).

Can you demo the R6 Meta? I know crutchfield allows this for example. What's your processor?

Gorth33

My mains are Reference 5s NM. I used to have the older Reference 204/2c previously. I tried:
- R2c NM
- R6 Meta
- Reference 4 NM
- Reference 2 Meta (my current center)

I found the R6 Meta definitely to open up more than the R2c NM, and obviously the larger woofers allow a comfortable 80Hz crossover, but the Reference centers really opened up another dimension. So yes, the R6 Meta is better, but you might want to save some money for the Reference 2 Meta (good dealers will give you a decent discount off MSRP).

Can you demo the R6 Meta? I know crutchfield allows this for example. What's your processor?
Thanks for your reply.
I Dreams to have Reference 2.But i cannot find a used one to have decent price.
I'm living in France and it is difficult to have discount.And to demo with crutchfield.
I can have around 100/150€ discount on the R6-Meta but no more.

In your opinion the R6-Meta does not have this "Muffled sound" issue the R2C NM have?

My AVR is Denon 4500H

exm

Thanks for your reply.
I'm living in France and it is difficult to have discount.And to demo with crutchfield.

In your opinion the R6-Meta does not have this "Muffled sound" issue the R2C NM have?

My AVR is Denon 4500H

I'm a bit surprised that the R2c has a muffled sound. I wonder if that's an EQ issue? Either way, the R6 Meta is a definite improvement, and if you can afford it, it will be a much better pair with your Reference 3 speakers.

Gorth33

I'm a bit surprised that the R2c has a muffled sound. I wonder if that's an EQ issue? Either way, the R6 Meta is a definite improvement, and if you can afford it, it will be a much better pair with your Reference 3 speakers.
Thank you.
I feel the muffled sound with male voices at some frequencies.
It’s like the sound is retained, in the box I don’t have this issue with my actual center channel.

SharinganUser

Thanks for your reply.

My AVR is Denon 4500H
You have no issues driving these speakers with your 4500??

AudioScience Enthusiast

After struggling with R6 Meta for a bit, as suggested by some forum members, I added a Low Shelf and found the ideal XO of 50Hz using Dirac Live, now it is finally living up to its promise as the most amazing center channel ever made for mortals (aside from the Reference).

Vocals are being delivered in such clarity (female) and weight (male) across multiple seating locations, it's simply incredible. After struggling with my home theatre sound for 20 years, now it's Done done.

So glad I did not cheap out on R2 or other center channels.

Gorth33

After struggling with R6 Meta for a bit, as suggested by some forum members, I added a Low Shelf and found the ideal XO of 50Hz using Dirac Live, now it is finally living up to its promise as the most amazing center channel ever made for mortals (aside from the Reference).

Vocals are being delivered in such clarity (female) and weight (male) across multiple seating locations, it's simply incredible. After struggling with my home theatre sound for 20 years, now it's Done done.

So glad I did not cheap out on R2 or other center channels.
Great!
But why didn’t you let the sub plays these frequencies to get the weight you need?

Top Bottom