• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative to Wharfdale Linton

robh

I'm with the OP. I'd love to buy a retro looking pair of speakers similar to the Lintons, but without the rear port. Or at least have another choice besides the KLH 5.

Something similar to old Boston A120 or A150's.

raindance

Major Contributor
I'm with the OP. I'd love to buy a retro looking pair of speakers similar to the Lintons, but without the rear port. Or at least have another choice besides the KLH 5.

Something similar to old Boston A120 or A150's.
People were very fond of those sealed box designs back in the day even though they had awful directivity errors and sounded completely different in every room you tried them in.

Nowadays there are a couple of sealed box speakers out there, such as the NHT Classic Three (not sure if you can buy them new though). But the Wharfedale 220 I suggested earlier is designed to be close to the wall and is cheap.

Hydraglow

I bought some port plugs from AliExpress that fit the Linton's ports perfectly! They have a bunch of different sizes so they can be bought for pretty much any speaker. I then did some REW measurements with both ports open, outside ports plugged, inside ports plugged, and sealed. With one port plugged, I got increased bass extension under 30hz and a reduction above 30hz, very closely mimicking the measurements I achieved with the 8" Bronze 100 bookshelf speaker. With both sealed, the bass becomes too deficient. I'd say give the port plugging a shot first!

Miniyouuuu

I bought some port plugs from AliExpress that fit the Linton's ports perfectly! They have a bunch of different sizes so they can be bought for pretty much any speaker. I then did some REW measurements with both ports open, outside ports plugged, inside ports plugged, and sealed. With one port plugged, I got increased bass extension under 30hz and a reduction above 30hz, very closely mimicking the measurements I achieved with the 8" Bronze 100 bookshelf speaker. With both sealed, the bass becomes too deficient. I'd say give the port plugging a shot first!
Same experience here. Just one port sealed helped to reduce 5dB excess in 46hz but having +3dB in 30hz.
Sealing both ports on the Lintons made them dull.

MrOtto

Do you have an url to this item on Aliexpress?

Hydraglow

Here's my Linton measurements with/without the plugs from 20-100hz. Ignore my room null around 55-60hz. Test tone was 75db.
Do you have an url to this item on Aliexpress?
Sure thing! I bought these ones here in the 58mm size. They fit perfectly, nice and snug.

Attachments

• Linton plugs.jpg
    Linton plugs.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 117
Top Bottom