• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 or R5 or R7 or even R11 (Meta?)

Lutyn87

Hey, everybody,

my current setup consists of a Lyngdrof TDAI 1120, KEF R3 and REL HT/1508.
So far this setup has been in a small room (acoustically treated) where it has worked perfectly.
Unfortunately I had to move this setup to the living room which is much larger, L-shaped and not acoustically treated.
After recalibrating RoomPerfect, the sound is still good but I feel that the fullness has faded a bit. Therefore I would like to ask you whether to replace the existing R3? And if so, with what? R5? R7? R11? Meta yes/no? Subwoofer yes/no? Lyngdorf yes/no?
The setup is mainly for watching TV and movies, but if I'm at home alone I like to listen to my favorite music nice and loud.

Thanks for any help.
Lukas

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Would be nice if you could confirm this with a measurement.

A simple EQ adjustment may be all you need if you knew which one.
Yes. FR response old room at LP vs new room at LP (listening position).

…. And if EQ doesn’t help you have better insight whether to just buy another sub to fix it or if to go to larger mains or both. You at least are spending the money effectively and not randomly.

98pm89

I have R5 metas and needed to add a subwoofer since it wasn't producing the low end as well. Adding a sub has made them a lot more enjoyable.

MarkS

Major Contributor
First try the tone controls on the Lyngdorf, which you can adjust in real time via the web interface. Try a mild bass boost (a few dB). Play with the hinge frequency.

You could also try changing the crossover set-up to the sub. In the larger room you could try a higher crossover point.

The Lyngdorf also has even more flexible EQ options via "Voicings". Try some of the built-in ones. You could also make a custom one, but it's hard to know what to try without measurements.

regan

Umik 1, Dirac Live and Bass Control and you're done.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin reviewed R3 non-meta here, but he didn't report 'response linearity' graph to see how the speaker handles changes in dynamics.

But Erin reviewed the R3 meta here, and we can see the response linearity (so we can extrapolate to the previous R3 non-meta):
Kef%20R3%20Meta%20%28Ported%29_Compression.png

As you can see, the speaker starts doing the funky chicken dance below approx 80hz.

This is why you need subwoofer (preferably dual subs) when paired with Kef R3 meta or R3 non-meta.

Here's Kef Reference 1 meta, just for comparison:
Kef%20Reference%201%20Meta_Compression.png

It's able to keep up with frequencies up to 40hz without a sweat...even at loud volumes!

Here's Kef R5 non-meta:
Kef%20R5_Compression.png

Much better handling than Kef R3 meta/non-meta bookshelf.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Erin reviewed R3 non-meta here, but he didn't report 'response linearity' graph to see how the speaker handles changes in dynamics.

But Erin reviewed the R3 meta here, and we can see the response linearity (so we can extrapolate to the previous R3 non-meta):
Kef%20R3%20Meta%20%28Ported%29_Compression.png

As you can see, the speaker starts doing the funky chicken dance below approx 80hz.

This is why you need subwoofer (preferably dual subs) when paired with Kef R3 meta or R3 non-meta.

Here's Kef Reference 1 meta, just for comparison:
Kef%20Reference%201%20Meta_Compression.png

It's able to keep up with frequencies up to 40hz without a sweat...even at loud volumes!

Here's Kef R5 non-meta:
Kef%20R5_Compression.png

Much better handling than Kef R3 meta/non-meta bookshelf.
Nice. Thx.

Top Bottom