• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element II DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Darwin

Hi Amirm,

Is the Element II an overkill for the HD 6XX? or is it better getting the atom amp + el dac for $250.

Thanks,
Steven

Not at all. Thats what I'm using. The HD6XX love the amp. Amir is using the HD650 which is the same headphone as the HD6XX.

Darwin

I sent John an e-mail asking if they can make a USB-C to USB-B cable for all the people with USB-C Macs. He replied in 15 minutes that they would look into it. On a Saturday morning...

D

Deleted member 12290

I have a keen interest in purchasing the Element II. Can someone please confirm or provide input as to the performance via the outputs? I am more interested in the DACs performance as 90% of my listening is with my powered speakers. I use iem's or a B&O H7, so high power from amp is not a concern or need for me. Thanks in advance.

Is know one using the outputs for powered speakers?? I would like to know how the DAC performs, as that is my main usage.

Shameless

Is know one using the outputs for powered speakers?? I would like to know how the DAC performs, as that is my main usage.

Having used several DACs in the 100-250$ range, I honestly can't tell the difference between one or the other... Which is why I "settled" on the Element II. Needed an all in one with pre-outs that measures well and looks gorgeous! Enter JDS Element II !!!
I use it with powered speakers, Vanatoo Transparent Zero, and compared to the stock DAC in the T0 again, I can't really tell the difference, it's as clean as my ears can tell. It sounds great as far as I'm concerned! But I use it for convenience more than anything else, I wanted to control bnoth headphones and speakers from the same knob (and a mighty knob it is!)!

D

Deleted member 12290

Thank you for the input. I do appreciate the comments. I am currently using a dragon fly black and sounds pretty good to my ears. I can relate to what your saying. I am not sure I will be able to hear much difference. I rarely listen to my iems or HP. So not a big deal to unplug my speakers and plug in an iem. BTW I have a pair of Emotiva bi amped speakers which sound good to me. I do listen to mostly amazon HD music and other hi res That I buy off of HD tracks. The amp side of the Element II would be overkill for my iems and B&O HP. It sure looks slick though. I am just too leary of many Chifi products.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the input. I do appreciate the comments. I am currently using a dragon fly black and sounds pretty good to my ears. I can relate to what your saying. I am not sure I will be able to hear much difference. I rarely listen to my iems or HP. So not a big deal to unplug my speakers and plug in an iem. BTW I have a pair of Emotiva bi amped speakers which sound good to me. I do listen to mostly amazon HD music and other hi res That I buy off of HD tracks. The amp side of the Element II would be overkill for my iems and B&O HP. It sure looks slick though. I am just too leary of many Chifi products.
Are you referring to the JDS Element II as ChiFi? JDS products are made in the U.S.A.

https://jdslabs.com/
MADE IN AMERICA
We design, manufacture, and ship from our 8000 ft2 facility just east of St. Louis, MO.

D

Deleted member 12290

No I was not. I am well aware of them being made in the US. I inadvertently ran the sentences together and it could have been understood as such.

jae

Major Contributor
I've only ever DIY'd most of my audio equipment, but for the last few years I have been using a Woo Audio WA7. I no longer have that unit accessible to me and have been looking to buy a new AMP/dac. Are there any integrated DAC/amp combos similar to the Element II in performance under $600-800? What about around that price point but with separate units? I'm interested in testing a solid state design and have been eyeing this Element II since it came out with the positive review.

I've been looking into the topping stuff as well but have no experience with the chinese stuff. What about the DX7 pro?

Edit: Driving HD650/HD660s, and I will likely be getting some Audeze product in the near future. Integrated power supply a bonus.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
DX7 Pro is great also.
How come you don't want the Element II?

There is also the DX3Pro.

jae

Major Contributor
DX7 Pro is great also.
How come you don't want the Element II?
There is also the DX3Pro.

It's not that I don't want it, just exploring my options before pulling the trigger on the purchase! It's actually my first choice which is why I'm posting in this thread. I'm a bit out of the loop as far as modern products go so just exploring if there's anything out there similar to the element II, dx7 pro, etc. that measure up well.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It's not that I don't want it, just exploring my options before pulling the trigger on the purchase! It's actually my first choice which is why I'm posting in this thread. I'm a bit out of the loop as far as modern products go so just exploring if there's anything out there similar to the element II, dx7 pro, etc. that measure up well.
There are many other things. Like THX AAA 789 Amp paired with like a D70 or a D90. Also SMSL SP200 (which also has balanced stuff).
Then there are the Geshelli products (although I don't think their balanced stuff is out yet).
If you don't care about balanced (which is fine since its mostly useless anyway) then there are Geshelli Amps & Dac, the JDS Atom...

EJMick

I've only ever DIY'd most of my audio equipment, but for the last few years I have been using a Woo Audio WA7. I no longer have that unit accessible to me and have been looking to buy a new AMP/dac. Are there any integrated DAC/amp combos similar to the Element II in performance under $600-800? What about around that price point but with separate units? I'm interested in testing a solid state design and have been eyeing this Element II since it came out with the positive review.

I've been looking into the topping stuff as well but have no experience with the chinese stuff. What about the DX7 pro?

Edit: Driving HD650/HD660s, and I will likely be getting some Audeze product in the near future. Integrated power supply a bonus.

I went with the Monolith 124459 Amp/DAC with THX; around $500---love it.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Having owned the Element II for several months now I am so happy with my purchase. As much as I love my D70/THX combo, it takes up a HUGE footprint on my office desk; add headphones to that and it's more an entertainment center than an office space. I still want to listen to music while I work so having the Element in it's small little package was a no brainer. This thing packs a punch! John and the JDS team have come a long way from their Objective2 days, and the Element feels like the culmination of that. As far as sound quality, the Element II is excellent. I feel like I am getting the same quality as my D70/THX combo, even though it has less inputs/outputs. It is nice switching to my A2+ speakers at the press of a button. Running Qobuz in Hi-Res, you are set. And yes, the Volume knob is fun. ^_^ Currently listening to Fear Inoculum (Qobuz 24/96) with the new revised HD600 (My favorite headphone) and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Right now I've narrowed it down to the Element II or the Topping DX7 Pro! Still deciding on what I want but I'm leaning towards the element

Asylum Seeker

I was an early devotee of JDS Labs. I purchased their C5 and C421 portable amps, back in the days when NwAvGuy was still around. They have now eschewed, surrendered the portable, mobile segment. I have eschewed, vacated the tabletop, non-mobile segment. China gets most all of my money now.

Last edited:

idiomatically

I am a big fan of JDS Labs, great customer service and easy to talk to. I will upgrade my Element to the Element 2 in due course. I use the El Dac 2 with my Elac Navis loudspeakers and Roon streaming endpoint and absolutely love the experience it gives me.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Are there any integrated DAC/amp combos similar to the Element II in performance under $600-800?

Worth taking a look at the Sabaj D5 (US ~$460). The D5's DAC portion measures slightly better but the differences wouldn't be audible. The amp section of the D5 is not quite as powerful as the Element II, although I imagine you can compensate for most of that difference by using the XLR (balanced) headphone jack. The D5 also has balanced (XLR) outs and a remote if those things are of any value to you.

Reactions: Tks

jae

Major Contributor
Worth taking a look at the Sabaj D5 (US ~$460). The D5's DAC portion measures slightly better but the differences wouldn't be audible. The amp section of the D5 is not quite as powerful as the Element II, although I imagine you can compensate for most of that difference by using the XLR (balanced) headphone jack. The D5 also has balanced (XLR) outs and a remote if those things are of any value to you.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did look into the Sabaj, but decided on the topping over it because of features like wireless, larger/easier to read screen, and the additional power. I prefer the look of the topping unit as well, but might have to look at the D5 again

Top Bottom