• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element II DAC and Headphone Amp Review

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I'm using the Element 2 now. It is superb. I love the way it looks on my desktop. The volume knob is fun to play with but the real attraction is how powerful this amp is. While it may not be top of the class in measurements, subjectively it is all I want from a DAC/amp combo.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't be worried about ordering a Topping product as they make some excellent gear, but I would have much more confidence in JDS aftersales support.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I'd feel better about Topping if there weren't tons of reports of failures.
Just ordered an Element II.

Topping accidentally sending me the wrong unit is actually what made me go to JDS labs. I have purchased a Topping D70 since, but it was thru Drop, where I was certain there would be some kind of quality assurance to make sure I was sent the right package. But JDS Labs customer support can't be beat. They let me know that there was a typo on my engraving and fixed it before they sent it to me.

Darwin

I wouldn't be worried about ordering a Topping product as they make some excellent gear, but I would have much more confidence in JDS aftersales support.

Anywhere you find suer review of Topping products like Amazon or Drop you see lots of complaints about dead out of the box units or units that die pretty quickly. It's more than anecdotal at the scale of thecomplaints. Topping has a quality control problem.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Anywhere you find suer review of Topping products like Amazon or Drop you see lots of complaints about dead out of the box until air units that dies pretty quickly. It' mroe than anecdotal at the same of the complaints. Topping has a quality control problem.
Note that Topping manufactures on a much langer scale. Unhappy customers are more likely to post about their experience online than those without any problem. So going by what you see online isn't necessarily an objective approach. Almost all electronic items will have a small chance of arriving DOA.

I won't argue JDS labs customer support is worth their price premium though :)! Only happy experiences with them.

Last edited:

Darwin

Topping accidentally sending me the wrong unit is actually what made me go to JDS labs. I have purchased a Topping D70 since, but it was thru Drop, where I was certain there would be some kind of quality assurance to make sure I was sent the right package. But JDS Labs customer support can't be beat. They let me know that there was a typo on my engraving and fixed it before they sent it to me.

They accidentally sent me the wrong unit too.

Darwin

Note that Topping manufactures on a much langer scale. Unhappy customers are more likely to post about their experience online than those without any problem. So going by what you see online isn't necessarily an objective approach. Almost all electronic items will have a small chance of arriving DOA.
I won't argue JDS labs customer support is worth their price premium though :)! Only happy experiences with them.

I'm well aware that complaints get magnified but this is beyond the normal level of that from what I have seen.
Agree on JDS and they deserve my business. My Element II arrives tomorrow :)

Darwin

I was waiting for this to upgrade but even my current combo ATOM / D50s is a better overall setup for LESS $$. Easy pass...I just wish the Atom had an ON/OFF button.

Why do you think it is better?

lyons238

I just ordered a JDS Labs Element II. I think overall as a package it's better than any combination with the Atom and many other options out there. Can't beat it for the money. The only thing I'd get over it is a RME ADI-2 with a THX 789. But honestly, I love JDS Labs products and John is super cool.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that you are getting a nice metal case with attractive industrial design, a SOTA performing headphone amplifier with bags of power and a good DAC which will be audibly transparent from a company with a great reputation for service and standing behind its products I think this is very well priced. I intend buying one when they reach our shores and using my Atom just for the office and travelling. Actually I am completely satisfied with the performance of the Atom but I like the design and casing of the Element.

Veri

Master Contributor

Darwin

Yeah I dunno, just wanting something better than a printer cable.
Damn this sound good....listening to one song after another. I guess I can work anytime...:)
IMG_0274.jpg

Mumstead

Got mine today. Love it. Love the sound and the look and I care about how things look.
I'm using this USC-C to USB-B cable since I am using a USB-C Mac. They do include a very nice USB cable with the Element.
I'm using them with brand new HD6XX headphones that I just took out of the box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQPDRLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using the exact same cable with mine except I got black. It only costs $15 so it is not a crazy expensive audiophile cable. I think it's inteded more for pro audio use. I got it mainly for aesthetics and because John said in the blog that they got more consistent measurements when they use a usb cable with a ferrite core. The included cable is nice and has a core but this one looks better on my desk and does not have permanent bends in it.

D

Deleted member 12290

I have a keen interest in purchasing the Element II. Can someone please confirm or provide input as to the performance via the outputs? I am more interested in the DACs performance as 90% of my listening is with my powered speakers. I use iem's or a B&O H7, so high power from amp is not a concern or need for me. Thanks in advance.

Darwin

I'm using the exact same cable with mine except I got black. It only costs $15 so it is not a crazy expensive audiophile cable. I think it's inteded more for pro audio use. I got it mainly for aesthetics and because John said in the blog that they got more consistent measurements when they use a usb cable with a ferrite core. The included cable is nice and has a core but this one looks better on my desk and does not have permanent bends in it.

It's working well. As you say the USB cable included with the Element II also has a ferrite core. Loving the Element II, listening to it now. I can see where people says it's about $50 too much but splitting hairs for me since I like everything else about this unit and glad I bought it. I also think people are making too much of measurements that aren't audible.

Darwin

I need powered speakers for my desk to connect to the Element II. Any suggestions?

Darwin

I see. My apologies if it came across wrong. I was referring to the design choice of locating the buttons on the back and how they work. I think the clean front looks great. I hope you enjoy yours. Great company and product.

Yeah I prefer the front too. It's not exactly a hardship to reach around back.

Top Bottom