• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element II DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Interesting. Wished to see at least coax input and expected toslink at least, but hey, what can you do with the limited space back there. Still, it looks friggin' amazing and the performance is good. Was going to stack this on top the 789 but thinkin' the ED2 is the better pick.
ED2?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi Amir
I have bought products from jdslabs and they are very nice people to deal with and good support. I have nothing against company at all. I am wondering why do you recommend JDS Labs Element II DAC
whereas you dont outright recommend old which has a slightly better performance as per your chart?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/music-hall-dac15-2-review.9681/
Regards
This is just a DAC for $200. Its an older product and it has much worse linearity. For $200 in a basic case with an old Design its hard to recommend, amir did suggest it; if you can find it used for a good price.
The JDS Element 2 looks very nice, has solid performance (better linearity vs the Music Hall) and is a new design.

Veri

Master Contributor
Indeed. The Music hall is not a bad product but nothing particularly different from other products that makes it a bargain or great deal.

dropbear

I like it, JDS did good here.

I mean, why not, US-made (unfortunately making it not so viable of an option for us in EU as the price here will climb quite high by the time some ), very attractive and sexy (a lot of people will be sold on the looks itself), has the output switch (albeit in the back, EL AMP would be nice to have it at the front button as DAC has input switching...here, I think click button on the knob could work for that) and is very well performing (a definite improvement compared to the old Element).

I could imagine myself preferring it to other Chinese champs such as D5, M500 or DX7 Pro as well, although being one of the heart over mind decisions.

And, now, I will hold out hope to see Asgard (with the DAC module), if for nothing else then to put those two US-made products against each other.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As just a DAC, my recommendation would not be strong for this product. It is its headphone amplifier combined with beautiful build that causes me to give it the recommendation.
It seems there is general agreement there is no audible difference expected between the top DACs, or even possibly between those in the Blue and Green categories. Is there a similar "rule of thumb" about how big a difference there needs to be in some key measurement for an expected audible difference between headphone amps?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Low noise is important for sensitive headphones. (50mV SINAD is an indicator)
Distortion numbers in the same ballpark as DACs.
A higher output voltage is important for higher impedance headphones.
A higher current capability is important for low impedance headphones.
A low output resistance may be of importance but depends on the used headphone.
Gain is important to get proper volume control (as to not end up in the bottom or upper range)

So because of the wide spread in headphone efficiencies and impedances different aspects are important for different headphones.

In general, the higher the output power capabilities and the lowest noise and distortion numbers as well as a low output resistance and preferably adjustable gain the more universal, and better the amp is.

MDrav

I was waiting for this to upgrade but even my current combo ATOM / D50s is a better overall setup for LESS $$. Easy pass...I just wish the Atom had an ON/OFF button.

ishouldbeking

No, the amps in RME ADI-2 DAC outperform the DAC to the point that relative to the line out, there is no difference and in the case of the IEM, its residual noise is even lower (and SNR higher) than that of the lowest output level for the line out.

However, in the more affordable end of things, this might be the first.

The other one that comes to mind, and which is on the more affordable side, is the Fiio K5 Pro. If memory serves, that one has a barely capable DAC (but apparently audibly transparent) with quite a bit of clean power on tap from the built-in amp.

D

Deleted member 4360

It seems there is general agreement there is no audible difference expected between the top DACs, or even possibly between those in the Blue and Green categories. Is there a similar "rule of thumb" about how big a difference there needs to be in some key measurement for an expected audible difference between headphone amps?

I doubt anyone could hear the difference between the blue and greens. I would imagine that what type of headphones you have and how "undamaged" your ears are would become significant factors. I know for me, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference even with the most transparent and low distorting headphones (just too many loud concerts back in the early 80's, years of sitting behind a drum kit, plus age).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the audible performance of the DAC will be transparent and entirely satisfactory. An appreciation of measurements and objective analysis should not blind people to the fact that further improvements beyond the point of being discernible maybe technically interesting and commendable but won't affect listening experience.

The headphone amplifier is excellent (well past the point of transparency and with a ton of power ), the DAC is fine, industrial design excellent and it is built from excellent feel materials. Add in a company offering excellent service and support and I really don't see how this can be criticised for being expensive. OK it is not the cheapest, but as an overall package it represents excellent value for money. Especially when you consider a lot of the stuff floating around out there costing $$$$$$$$s for mediocrity.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Power is what differentiates these amps. If they get distorted as you turn them up, it trumps all other measurements.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The dashboard is not normalized. Kinda tricks my mind.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think the volume control is just natural variation.....

Mumstead

Update: John From JDS replied to my support request just a few minutes after I sent it (on a Saturday afternoon no less). I Indeed have a defective unit and it is being replaced. He said that they had a few units that had similar issues but thought that they were all found in Q/C. If anybody else has similar trouble just let them know.

I got my Element II today and honestly I'm not very happy with it. It sounds great and there is nothing wrong with the performance but the UI is terrible. A device with only two buttons should not be this hard to figure out.
The power/input button does not click. You barely have to touch it and the inputs will change. It has such a hair trigger that I have changed inputs multiple times just by brushing it while trying to figure out how the gain button works.
The gain button is a whole other story. The button has a nice click when pressed so you at least know that you have pressed it (unlike the power button) the problem is I don't understand why it toggles the way that it does. I thought it would toggle between low and high gain but it doesn't. It seems to toggle between low and high gain as well as mute (or it could possibly be changing inputs) and sleep (At least I think it is sleep. The light turns off and the device disappears from Windows). It took me a while to figure it out but it seems to toggle modes in this pattern: Low gain --> Sleep --> Mute --> Sleep --> High Gain --> Sleep --> Mute --> Sleep --> Low Gain.
Maybe my unit is defective? I'm going to email their support to find out.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got my Element II today and honestly I'm not very happy with it. It sounds great and there is nothing wrong with the performance but the UI is terrible. A device with only two buttons should not be this hard to figure out.
What did you like about it to select it over DX7 Pro, etc.?

Mumstead

What did you like about it to select it over DX7 Pro, etc.?

It is $200 cheaper than the DX7 Pro and it has a fantastic amp. I have been searching for an affordable all in one DAC & Amp with an excellent amp and a transparent DAC. Most are just the opposite. A fantastic DAC with a good amp. The Element II is basically a transparent DAC coupled with an Atom amp in an attractive package. I know the Atom drives my HD800S very well so this will too and I no longer need two boxes on my desk.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The light turns off and the device disappears from Windows). It took me a while to figure it out but it seems to toggle modes in this pattern: Low gain --> Sleep --> Mute --> Sleep --> High Gain --> Sleep --> Mute --> Sleep --> Low Gain.
I shut mine off the same way I think and thought I had touched the power button. So maybe something is going on here.

Top Bottom