• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element II DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Mumstead

I shut mine off the same way I think and thought I had touched the power button. So maybe something is going on here.

John said that the problem is that the power/input button is permanently engaged so unexpected presses are being registered when the gain button is pressed. Because of this sometimes pressing the gain button changes inputs or powers the unit off instead of just toggling gain.

D

Deleted member 4360

John said that the problem is that the power/input button is permanently engaged so unexpected presses are being registered when the gain button is pressed. Because of this sometimes pressing the gain button changes inputs or powers the unit off instead of just toggling gain.

"John said that the problem..."

I disagree and do not think there's a problem. I just received mine and it works fine. I've had no problems turning it on and off or adjusting the gain. I also find it easy to quickly rest your palm on the volume knob and press either button.

A/B comparing to my Atom and Khadas Tone Board reveals that I can't hear the difference (a good thing). Why did I buy it? Easy. I love good industrial design and wanted that volume knob. Hey, what can I say, I also like old school shutter speed dials too...

D

Deleted member 4360

What did you like about it to select it over DX7 Pro, etc.?

I'll tell you mine: it performs, it's well made, its design and ergonomics, it's simple, it uses a 4-layer PCB, it uses high quality BOM parts, it's made in the USA, it's supported by quick-responding people who actually designed the product, and it will last for years. If I have a problem, I know I'll have it back within days. Good luck with Topping or SMSL and the others.... the cost of shipping it back to China, in many cases, will be more than the product + it'll be gone for at least a month.

And warranty? 2 Years. The others? Essentially, the warranty is over once the Amazon return window closes (ok, that's pushing it but it's nearly the truth for reals)...

splattened

Forum Donor
"John said that the problem..."

I disagree and do not think there's a problem. I just received mine and it works fine.

That's John from JDS Labs. @Mumstead updated their original post with more details:

Update: John From JDS replied to my support request just a few minutes after I sent it (on a Saturday afternoon no less). I Indeed have a defective unit and it is being replaced. He said that they had a few units that had similar issues but thought that they were all found in Q/C. If anybody else has similar trouble just let them know.

So yes, it was exhibiting a known potential problem that was missed in QC and the unit is being replaced. If your unit is working correctly, then great.

Mumstead

I'll tell you mine: it performs, it's well made, its design and ergonomics, it's simple, it uses a 4-layer PCB, it uses high quality BOM parts, it's made in the USA, it's supported by quick-responding people who actually designed the product, and it will last for years. If I have a problem, I know I'll have it back within days. Good luck with Topping or SMSL and the others.... the cost of shipping it back to China, in many cases, will be more than the product + it'll be gone for at least a month.

And warranty? 2 Years. The others? Essentially, the warranty is over once the Amazon return window closes (ok, that's pushing it but it's nearly the truth for reals)...

If you read my original post on the bottom of page two you will see that there is a problem with my particular unit, confirmed by John at JDS. There is not a problem with all of them. Mine just slipped through QC. There is already a replacement on the way (JDS Customer support rocks!). The Element II is a beautiful unit and sounds great, indistinguishable from my Atom/D50s stack. I love it. I was just unlucky enough to get a defective one.

D

Deleted member 4360

I see. My apologies if it came across wrong. I was referring to the design choice of locating the buttons on the back and how they work. I think the clean front looks great. I hope you enjoy yours. Great company and product.

D

Deleted member 4360

If you read my original post on the bottom of page two you will see that there is a problem with my particular unit, confirmed by John at JDS. There is not a problem with all of them. Mine just slipped through QC. There is already a replacement on the way (JDS Customer support rocks!). The Element II is a beautiful unit and sounds great, indistinguishable from my Atom/D50s stack. I love it. I was just unlucky enough to get a defective one.

Ha - my “old” configuration too except with the Khadas tone board - just wanted simple - I can’t tell the difference but the can tell the difference when changing the volume- what a knob!

Mumstead

I see. My apologies if it came across wrong. I was referring to the design choice of locating the buttons on the back and how they work. I think the clean front looks great. I hope you enjoy yours. Great company and product.

I have no problem with the switches on the back either. I too love the clean aesthetic and actually prefer it. My desk is very minimal so the Element looks great. My initial frustration was that I couldn't figure out how the buttons were supposed to work. The gain switch was randomly changing inputs and truing the unit off when I pressed it! It was perplexing until John explained what was going on.

D

Deleted member 4360

I have no problem with the switches on the back either. I too love the clean aesthetic and actually prefer it. My desk is very minimal so the Element looks great. My initial frustration was that I couldn't figure out how the buttons were supposed to work. The gain switch was randomly changing inputs and truing the unit off when I pressed it! It was perplexing until John explained what was going on.

You're going to like yours - I've had mine since yesterday to replace my Atom. First, the volume control is so simple but makes such a huge difference - it has so much play with that big wheel that it allows you adjust in smaller increments - makes me NOT switch to high gain at all. Also, the headphone amp has such control over the drivers that you can feel the "tightness" in the bass - something Musical Fidelity amps always did well with stereo systems. The DAC sounds great - numbers are beyond what you'll hear and it's the headphone amp that makes the difference. Feels faster too with the integration of DAC and amp but that's probably my imagination...

Zerviscos

So basically the Element II is the El Amp II and El DAC II combined, and the only thing that was lost was a separate aluminum body and coax and s/pdif digital inputs from the DAC right? Everything else is the same?

Looking to replace my G109A amp, and get the A50/D50s stack or probably the El Stack, but if the Element II is already the El stack, it might be my other option as well.

Last edited:

Mumstead

So basically the Element II is the El Amp II and El DAC II combined, and the only thing that was lost was a separate aluminum body and coax and s/pdif digital inputs from the DAC right? Everything else is the same?

Looking to replace my G109A amp, and get the A50/D50s stack or probably the El Stack, but if the Element II is already the El stack, it might be my other option as well.

On their blog John from JDS says that if you don't need the extra inputs that you should get the Element II over the stack as they are essentially the same otherwise. I highly recommend it.

EJMick

Hi Amir- I have the JDS O2+ODAC combo; would the Element II be a worthy upgrade?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Amir- I have the JDS O2+ODAC combo; would the Element II be a worthy upgrade?
Unless the ODAC is poorly made (I'm not familiar with it) you won't hear any difference. But you might appreciate the looks and features.

Stevo

Hi Amirm,

Is the Element II an overkill for the HD 6XX? or is it better getting the atom amp + el dac for $250.

Thanks,
Steven

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Just copped this. It looks great, performs well, and is easy to set-up and use. I've heard many good things about this volume knob.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
of course you guys know there is the usual very small potmeter connected to that big volknob.. right ?

Top Bottom