• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element II DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Digital volume controls reduce resolution at lower volume settings because they reduce volume by shortening the digital word length. A professional recording engineer confirmed this to me. This is the real reason digital masters are 24 bits or more, to give 'headroom' for EQ and other signal processing and have at least 16 bit range in the end result. Give me analog-domain volume control every time.
I learn something new everyday when browsing these forums!

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Digital volume controls reduce resolution at lower volume settings because they reduce volume by shortening the digital word length. A professional recording engineer confirmed this to me. This is the real reason digital masters are 24 bits or more, to give 'headroom' for EQ and other signal processing and have at least 16 bit range in the end result. Give me analog-domain volume control every time.
The lower the listening volume, the fewer bits you need for transparent playback.
16 bits of resolution is sufficient for reference level playback. At lower volume, you can get away with a lower bit depth.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could the Element II be used as just an amp with the signal being fed by another DAC/AMP like the Qudelix? Could the signal bypass the internal DAC? The reason to do this would be to use the PEQ on the Qudelix. Otherwise, would I need to use something like USB Audio Player PRO for PEQ on Samsung phone as streaming source?

ScofieldKid

Could the Element II be used as just an amp with the signal being fed by another DAC/AMP like the Qudelix? Could the signal bypass the internal DAC? The reason to do this would be to use the PEQ on the Qudelix. Otherwise, would I need to use something like USB Audio Player PRO for PEQ on Samsung phone as streaming source?
From the blog, it looks like "preamp mode" selects the rca inputs, and the chart they show says they are variable output in the Element II, which is a change from the Element. But I would assume that only the ALPS volume knob is in-line at that point, so I wouldn't call it an "amp" at that point. Appears to be a passive preamp in that mode... You could verify directly with JDS support.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From John at JDS:
Yes, this is possible. If you have not yet purchased Element II, it makes more sense to choose EL Amp II, since you would be bypassing the DAC of Element II anyway:
https://jdslabs.com/product/el-amp-ii/

You may connect the 3.5mm Unbalanced output of your DAC to the RCA Inputs of EL Amp II (or Element II).

Let me know if you need more help.

Best regards,

John Seaber

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Planning on picking up some DCA Aeon RT's in a month or so, and was looking at the element II as a strong contender to pair with. However, today I read the review for the K5 pro, and at the $150 price point, could pick up a BTR5 ($110) as well, AND a HART balanced 2.5 cable for the Aeon RT's at the same cost of the Element II.

I love the idea of JDS labs, and their stellar support, but seems the Fiio/Hart package would offer a LOT more flexibility with the Aeon RT's.

Thoughts?

ishouldbeking

Planning on picking up some DCA Aeon RT's in a month or so, and was looking at the element II as a strong contender to pair with. However, today I read the review for the K5 pro, and at the $150 price point, could pick up a BTR5 ($110) as well, AND a HART balanced 2.5 cable for the Aeon RT's at the same cost of the Element II.

I love the idea of JDS labs, and their stellar support, but seems the Fiio/Hart package would offer a LOT more flexibility with the Aeon RT's.

Thoughts?
I think it really depends what you're looking for. The Element II is a great desktop all-in-one unit, but it's not the absolute pinnacle of performance (which isn't really as important as people make it out to be). What matters most is that you get something audibly transparent, with the specific features you need (ins and outs you need, available power for your headphones, whether you need a preamp out for powered monitors, bluetooth, etc.) with the level of reliability and/or customer support that works for you, and of course within your budget. JDS is fantastic on the support side (better than anyone in this price range, without question), and the reliability seems to be quite good; my JDS Atom Amp has held up quite well despite the lightweight build. But you can certainly get more flexibility and even technically better performance at a lower price, whether that's by going with an Atom Amp & DAC or any of the other popular budget stacks. All are cheaper than the Element II; honestly the most distinguishing features of the Element are the sharp industrial design (it's a beautiful chunk of carved metal with a glorious knob) and the top notch customer service. But you're paying quite a bit more for that fancy case than you would if you just want functionality and features.

If you're considering the BTR5, I'd just suggest you take a long hard look at the Qudelix 5k, which (IMO) has an even better feature set for the same price. Mine has been fantastic, to the point where I now use it as a dedicated USB DAC feeding my Atom Amp, and I have access to the same exact EQ profiles for all my headphones whether I'm at my desktop, out on the town, watching TV via bluetooth... Besides the headphones themselves, using EQ properly will make the biggest difference in your listening experience, and I love the way the Qudelix app integrates these features into an exquisitely designed app.

My recommendation is to get a JDS Atom Amp (assuming you can live with the lightweight plastic build), get the Qudelix 5K to use as a dedicated USB DAC and as a bluetooth device for portable use, and just get a normal non-fancy balanced cable for much less money. You'll get zero sonic improvement from a Hart cable, even if it's built well and looks nice. If you really want a dedicated standalone DAC, grab the Atom DAC and be done with it. Good luck!

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
I think it really depends what you're looking for. The Element II is a great desktop all-in-one unit, but it's not the absolute pinnacle of performance (which isn't really as important as people make it out to be). What matters most is that you get something audibly transparent, with the specific features you need (ins and outs you need, available power for your headphones, whether you need a preamp out for powered monitors, bluetooth, etc.) with the level of reliability and/or customer support that works for you, and of course within your budget. JDS is fantastic on the support side (better than anyone in this price range, without question), and the reliability seems to be quite good; my JDS Atom Amp has held up quite well despite the lightweight build. But you can certainly get more flexibility and even technically better performance at a lower price, whether that's by going with an Atom Amp & DAC or any of the other popular budget stacks. All are cheaper than the Element II; honestly the most distinguishing features of the Element are the sharp industrial design (it's a beautiful chunk of carved metal with a glorious knob) and the top notch customer service. But you're paying quite a bit more for that fancy case than you would if you just want functionality and features.

If you're considering the BTR5, I'd just suggest you take a long hard look at the Qudelix 5k, which (IMO) has an even better feature set for the same price. Mine has been fantastic, to the point where I now use it as a dedicated USB DAC feeding my Atom Amp, and I have access to the same exact EQ profiles for all my headphones whether I'm at my desktop, out on the town, watching TV via bluetooth... Besides the headphones themselves, using EQ properly will make the biggest difference in your listening experience, and I love the way the Qudelix app integrates these features into an exquisitely designed app.

My recommendation is to get a JDS Atom Amp (assuming you can live with the lightweight plastic build), get the Qudelix 5K to use as a dedicated USB DAC and as a bluetooth device for portable use, and just get a normal non-fancy balanced cable for much less money. You'll get zero sonic improvement from a Hart cable, even if it's built well and looks nice. If you really want a dedicated standalone DAC, grab the Atom DAC and be done with it. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply -- I'm going to take the convo over here as to not clutter this thread. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/gear-advice.22829/#post-760008

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Stealthy work desktop setup.

IMG_2454.JPG

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Really nice, I wish I knew about all this stuff back when I worked in an office. I listened to about 1000 hours of music through realtek integrated audio through my tower....

Even onboard audio has come a long way! but hard telling how much I damaged my hearing blaring my old Radio Shack Optimus headphones through my onboard AC97 audio when I was a teenager.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Even onboard audio has come a long way! but hard telling how much I damaged my hearing blaring my old Radio Shack Optimus headphones through my onboard AC97 audio when I was a teenager.
Yea AC97... that was a fun time. I had a Mad Dog predator with the CMedia 8738 and then later an 8768 that had the hardware acceleration! I remember using things like Kernel Streaming and ASIO to offload audio processing to save CPU power haha
They also were a major upgrade from the AC97 on my motherboard...

fuzzydunlop

Hi guys I'm torn between Topping ex5 and element II for HD800s...I do find element II a much more attractive unit but ex5 seems to be the best bang for your buck. Any advice is appreciated thanks in advance!

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Hi guys I'm torn between Topping ex5 and element II for HD800s...I do find element II a much more attractive unit but ex5 seems to be the best bang for your buck. Any advice is appreciated thanks in advance!

I have owned several Topping products and they measure very well and are nice and compact, but the fit and Finish of the Element 2 is superior (Subjectively) I think its a nicer product (That knob is wonderful) I actually got rid of my A50S/D50S stack, I could not tell an audible difference between it or the Element 2, and I do not regret doing so, despite the fact I know the stack measured objectively better. The DAC in the Topping EX5 is likely technically superior, but id argue that is not going to make any difference, its all in the amp, and looks like the Element 2 produces slightly more power from Amir's testing. I am looking forward to the third iteration. Another option is the Schiit Hel, which might be a better value and offer similar performance. Not sure what benefits the balanced output is going to offer in this case.

Last edited:

fuzzydunlop

I have owned several Topping products and they measure very well and are nice and compact, but the fit and Finish of the Element 2 is superior (Subjectively) I think its a nicer product (That knob is wonderful) I actually got rid of my A50S/D50S stack, I could not tell an audible difference between it or the Element 2, and I do not regret doing so, despite the fact I know the stack measured objectively better. The DAC in the Topping EX5 is likely technically superior, but id argue that is not going to make any difference, its all in the amp, and looks like the Element 2 produces slightly more power from Amir's testing. I am looking forward to the third iteration. Another option is the Schiit Hel, which might be a better value and offer similar performance. Not sure what benefits the balanced output is going to offer in this case.
Wow thanks a bunch Rayman for the thorough reply! That's all I wanted to hear really... I think I was already falling hard for the big knob boi before posting and just looking for some external validation haha. Will order the element 2 when they are on black friday sale--thanks again!!

OneManArmy

Wow thanks a bunch Rayman for the thorough reply! That's all I wanted to hear really... I think I was already falling hard for the big knob boi before posting and just looking for some external validation haha. Will order the element 2 when they are on black friday sale--thanks again!!
There will be no black friday sale from JDS Labs this year. I asked and got an answer from John Seaber. So I ordered my Element II immediately. It will arrive on tuesday.

fuzzydunlop

There will be no black friday sale from JDS Labs this year. I asked and got an answer from John Seaber. So I ordered my Element II immediately. It will arrive on tuesday.
Oh man bummer...Thanks for the heads up though just got mine too:D

Mindhead1

I picked up an Element II last June from the refurb products for $350. The device has been great. It looks good on my desk and sounds even better. It feeds my the Audyssey LES speakers on my desk and helped me find an appreciation for a headphone I had given up on the DT 990 600. Prior to the Element II, the DT 990 never sounded right to me from my Aune X7S or DarkVoice 336se. The bass was muddy and the treble too sharp. With the Element II the bass is more controlled and the treble tamed. I can listen to the 990 all day with no fatigue.

As for my other headphones, the 6xx, 4xx, 177x Go and Meze 99 they all sound excellent with the Element II. If you want a nice looking AIO unit for your desk that delivers in terms of power and sound the Element II is a winner.

Bernard23

I'm thinking of changing my marantz HD DAC1 to one of these, partly because the Marantz is so big, and partly because the slight hum And relay clicks are irritating. The reviews (of the Marantz) are mostly subjective, so only a rough guide to what it's absolute performance is. I have to scratch the JDS itch, so will get one and compare them sonically.
Like a few posts in this thread, I'm put off with topping and smsl by the questionable reliability and the effective absence of any warranty after the amazon return window expires; I've already had fingers burnt buying audio from China that didn't last as long as it should.

Top Bottom