• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDR-35 AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 183 63.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 90 31.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

mv038856

8306E82D-C2BF-4056-BDF4-B4D631F00B6C.jpeg
Wouldn’t the 2V preamp output voltage issue just mean to use the SDR-35/38 with an amplifier that is more sensitive. My Bryston amplifiers, e.g. have a switch for the input sensitivity, 1V, 2V or 4V. Problem solved. ;-)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 226016Wouldn’t the 2V preamp output voltage issue just mean to use the SDR-35/38 with an amplifier that is more sensitive. My Bryston amplifiers, e.g. have a switch for the input sensitivity, 1V, 2V or 4V. Problem solved. ;-)
Maybe. I am almost certain that your amp performs better at lower (eg 2 or 4V) input sensitivity. ;-)

Mine certainly do.

D

Deleted member 50971

View attachment 226016Wouldn’t the 2V preamp output voltage issue just mean to use the SDR-35/38 with an amplifier that is more sensitive. My Bryston amplifiers, e.g. have a switch for the input sensitivity, 1V, 2V or 4V. Problem solved. ;-)
In a perfect world all amplifiers would have that, but most don’t. What would that do to some of the specifications of the amplifier?

SEKLEM

I think my 20 year old mid range Yamaha RX-V659 performs better in noise and power and I paid 60 bucks for it.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That’s the truth… Denon almost has the market cornered, and maybe one or two more companies, but literally that’s it in the low priced to mid priced region. I would love for Denon to bring an AVP back, they used to make a beauty. I have all outboard amplification, and really need XLR out. But please Denon don’t forget to us an XLR input… and keep it balanced internally.
I'd love something very bare bones: room EQ, Atmos and DTS, 11+ channels (any XLR assignable to LFE), connections for sources and no streaming elements (I can add an Nvidia Shield or any other streamer myself). Give me a contained size and a SINAD of 100 db and I'll be golden!

Yes, it's the MX100, but over here it's 7 grand and that's way overpriced. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are there many device that can feed an attenuated digital signal over Toslink?
Device? It is your content that does that. Any fade to digital silence would get truncated that way.

D

Deleted member 50971

I'd love something very bare bones: room EQ, Atmos and DTS, 11+ channels (any XLR assignable to LFE), connections for sources and no streaming elements (I can add an Nvidia Shield or any other streamer myself). Give me a contained size and a SINAD of 100 db and I'll be golden!

Yes, it's the MX100, but over here it's 7 grand and that's way overpriced. :D
Hi, I was looking at the MX 100 the other day, beautiful looking piece of gear. Interestingly there was not a single analog input on it. I don’t know the price here in the states, but I don’t believe it’s inexpensive.

Mcintosh headquarters is less than an hour away from me I always thought it would be interesting to do the tour of their plant. If they still do that with this Covid thing going on.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
To be fair, you don't need analog inputs anymore. There are a gazillon vynil digital preamps and I don't see any of us playing cassettes or reel to reel...

D

Deleted member 50971

To be fair, you don't need analog inputs anymore. There are a gazillon vynil digital preamps and I don't see any of us playing cassettes or reel to reel...
Very true, and I use the Parks Puffin almost exclusively for vinyl.

Have you ever seen any reviews with measurements for the MX 100?

Interestingly it comes with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 room correction.

PeteL

Major Contributor
A Gazillion? I only heard of the Puffin to be honest and it's four times the price of a Schiit Mani. Could you point to a few?

D

Deleted member 50971

Pro-Ject makes one with optical out, and I know there are a couple others.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
A Gazillion? I only heard of the Puffin to be honest and it's four times the price of a Schiit Mani. Could you point to a few?
Top of my head, NAD and Rega make one to USB. Pro Ject and McIntosh make them on optical.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Very true, and I use the Parks Puffin almost exclusively for vinyl.

Have you ever seen any reviews with measurements for the MX 100?

Interestingly it comes with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 room correction.
Reviews sure, but I don't trust them. For the EQ, we have plenty of experienced Audyssey users over here that can help quite a lot. It is also strange that Mac has not given the option to upgrade to MultEQ X for the 100 and the 123.

Mac claims noise above 100db, but considering the THD, running numbers from official specs, it should be around 72 db SINAD (poor performance). Still, I'd rather trust a fellow member measuring than any infomercial on the net.

D

Deleted member 50971

Reviews sure, but I don't trust them. For the EQ, we have plenty of experienced Audyssey users over here that can help quite a lot. It is also strange that Mac has not given the option to upgrade to MultEQ X for the 100 and the 123.

Mac claims noise above 100db, but considering the THD, running numbers from official specs, it should be around 72 db SINAD (poor performance). Still, I'd rather trust a fellow member measuring than any infomercial on the net.
Thanks, I just did a quick check on their website and they are saying this is .005 THD I have a little bit of experience with Audyssey, not much but I’m wondering if Audyssey’s app will work with the Mac? I’d be surprised if it did. From what I hear with the app, that room correction is very respectable. Unfortunately my preamp is too old for the app.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It will not. The app works for Sound United (Denon and Marantz) gear.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like there is a pattern of avr manufacturers specing high gain amp sections and low voltage output DAC sections. These don't seem well matched with external components when trying to use preouts or subwoofer outputs. Any idea why manufacturers are choosing this type of low gain DAC/high gain amp?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like there is a pattern of avr manufacturers specing high gain amp sections and low voltage output DAC sections. These don't seem well matched with external components when trying to use preouts or subwoofer outputs. Any idea why manufacturers are choosing this type of low gain DAC/high gain amp?
I think an awfull lot of these use boards from the same few OEM's and these boards uses chips from even fever manufacturers , the licensing mess is so prohibitive , that no one dares the risk of developing their own design from ground up anymore , roi is very unsure on that , they all seems to put makeup on the same pig ?

Top Bottom