• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The PC computer industry has firmware down good. No reason they can't poach some software personnel. :D
Yes, I think I've posted before that the main issue is that these brands are not software companies.

I'm afraid even at these levels the attitude is that the device is a disposable product which will be obsolete by the time it's produced and will be replaced with the next version as soon as they figure out how to sell "voice of Satan" speakers and convince people to start drilling holes in their floors as well as their ceilings.

Unfortunately the days of nearly any technology being "built to last" or be "trouble free" are long over. Even the most disastrous AVR/PrePro is a bit more reliable than every other release of the iPhone. Heck, I've had my car for less than a year (and it cost almost 10X as much as the SDP-55) and it's already had 3 firmware updates, two recalls, and still has a few features that are "eventually going to get worked out"... and it's a collaboration between Toyota and BMW - so it's not like you can write it off to a lack of capital or experience. :rolleyes:

Really depends on the market you are looking at. When you buy PC hardware you generally just get a product that works and lasts. My current PC is 9 years old and I only replaced the GPU to get a faster one. It just works. My android phone also has less bugs than these processors.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I know. It was a typo I fixed.

Sorry, I can't decipher your message. I don't have any Dante DAC to test with. Time has nothing to do with it. Nor the complexity. If you are offering a Dante DAC and can do so immediately before I have to return the unit to its owner, I can test with it. Otherwise, no I can't buy that hardware myself just for this one instance.
OK, many Dante devices are bidirectional but I see from the "feature" pages that they talk about "routing AV signal over the network" I missed that, I think you are right, for some reason, I tought this was a "dante DAC" Still the manual is not as clear, but yes It could be out only.

Last edited:

jomark911

I would never expect a colossal group of companies like HARMAN share and use ARCAM's platform , just because they own it.
Actually I would expect Harman to evolve their own platform and give it to their daughter companies to use.
It's disappointing.

audioBliss

It seems that if you know what you are doing with Audissey and Dirac then the difference can be minimal.
Denon stays winning
Just how much better is Dirac over Auddysey?

There is a reason why $20 000 Datasat processors use Dirac and why most of the AV community has a big interest in finding a good Dirac equipped AVR that does not cost $20000. Lets just put it that way.

High end audio is like cosmetics for women with low self esteem

im embarrassed to tell my friends what I’ve paid for my stuff over the years ..thankfully I’ve snapped out of it and realised it’s a scam

many thanks to charlatans like the evil Mark Levinson who managed to convince us of the need for high end audio

when the likes of Sansui, Fisher , the old Marantz and pioneer from Japan was producing fantastic sounding audio equipment that everyone could afford.
the pricier the gear , the more issues In many cases.

$20,000 Datasat, $30,000 Trinnov , $20,000 Lyngdorf , $30,000 Pass amps

May they all rot in hell

A.West

Forum Donor
There is a reason why $20 000 Datasat processors use Dirac and why most of the AV community has a big interest in finding a good Dirac equipped AVR that does not cost $20000. Lets just put it that way.
That isn't much of an answer. Because the difference could be more about luxury branding than delivered audio improvement. Blind testing of Dirac vs Audyssey would be a more difficult but more useful audio science endeavor for more people than distortion testing I suspect.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again Amir. Quick question, so far you have measured 5 to 6 AVPs, do you (or anyone..) have any >11 channels capable AVP/C in mind that you think will likely beat the AVR-X8500H in preamp mode?

I mean in terms of not just SINAD at 2V preamp output, but also in IMD, linearity, DR, SNR. SINAD vs freq, and 32 tones test that as far as I know are important for transparency.

I know that would be a moot point as the chance of you getting such a potential winner is probably near 0 anyway.:D I am just curious if you know of any such potential candidate(s).

audioBliss

That isn't much of an answer. Because the difference could be more about luxury branding than delivered audio improvement. Blind testing of Dirac vs Audyssey would be a more difficult but more useful audio science endeavor for more people than distortion testing I suspect.

Sure, that’s a good point. Even though it’s subjective I think every comparison enthusiasts have done over the years has favoured Dirac.

The impulse correction that Dirac does is the real deal and personally at least it’s the first room correction I’ve used that I can not only live with but sounds better.

But it’s the same type of argument I guess so people will have to make up their own minds.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will someone please explain to me why dynamic range is so fetishized in audiophile circles?

audioBliss

Will someone please explain to me why dynamic range is so fetishized in audiophile circles?

When you hear it you will know. It’s just that most people don’t get to because their audio setup is not capable enough. Most normal hi-fi systems are not capable of true life like dynamic range. And with system I mean everything including the room.

With low dynamic range there is less difference in loudness between different sounds in the recording. Take a normal pop music recording. It will have something like 3dB dynamic range. That means that on average the difference in level will be 3dB. I.e. a drum for instance might only be 3dB louder than the person singing in the song. This means that when you increase the volume the lyrics will be extremely loud while the drums still sound like someone is banging on a tin can - most recordings are like this. Very flat and loud recordings that sound horrible on capable sound systems. Usually they actually compress it so much that when something powerful in the song comes along the sound has so little breathing room that it actually clips the signal and you get distorsion.

With high dynamic range recordings there might be something like 30dB difference between sounds. That means that when something really powerful happens in the music, that is aloud to have the freedom to play at that level. In practice what that means is that when a kick-drum goes off the whole room might shake and you will feel a chest impact at the same time as the lyrics in the song will be at a comfortable level. Recordings like this you usually have to turn the volume up quite a bit more than the compressed recordings - for some reason people have an issue with turning the volume knob on their amplifier.

The "problem" when you have a high dynamic range recording like this but try and play it through a BT speakers or small earbuds or in an environment like a car where the background noise level is around 70dB you will have to turn the music up quite a lot for the song to be heard and then when the powerful sections of the song kick in you might damage the speakers and in general in might be annoying to the listener. Basically dynamic compression might be useful when you have a high noise floor in the listening environment or just want all sounds to sound equally as loud regardless if it's a cannon going off or someone speaking in a normal tone. They will basically be treated as equally loud on compressed recordings. I.e. good for background music and the like.

But for audiophiles who have dedicated rooms with low noise floor and powerful speakers songs with high dynamic range will sound so much cleaner, powerful and life like and bring you so much closer to the music. The music will sound a lot closer to as it does in real life. This is why it's important to have as low of a noise floor as possible in the room as well as acoustically treat it properly as this in practice basically increases the dynamic range even more and you don't have to turn it up as much as in a high noise environment.

I understand where the compression is coming from but they have taken it to a level now where it's just ridiculous. In the age of digital it should be easy enough to have different versions available depending upon the use case. Why enthusiasts are fed up with the low dynamic range stuff is that when they finally have all their awesome gear they find that most music sounds just as flat as with the lesser gear and that's cause the recording is flat.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you hear it you will know. It’s just that most people don’t get to because their audio setup is not capable enough. Most normal hi-fi systems are not capable of true life like dynamic range. And with system I mean everything including the room.

I have heard it and I don't particularly like it. Most moves have way too much dynamic range.

Also, I mostly listen with headphones and they don't have the limited SPL of bookshelf systems I assume you're talking about

audioBliss

The dark side of dynamic range is that you need way more capable speakers than you think(most speakers start sound harsh even on moderate volume levels) but maybe most of all you need a very, very good room. In badly treated rooms the sound lingers for way too long and there are typically peaks in the bass that are very overbearing as well. When the sound does not die off fast in the room the sound becomes very overbearing. Also in places like movie theaters they play movies way, way too loud in a lot of places and on speakers that are distorting even on a lot lower volume levels. Distortion = harsh, overbearing sound that is like knifes in the ears.

When you have very capable speakers they pump in a lot of energy into the room and most people don't have dedicated, treated rooms which is why room correction like Dirac is important so that at least the bass, impulse response, speakers levels, crossover regions(yes you will need multiple subwoofers) and so on are correct.

So even if it takes a lot to get it to sound right isn't that really what this hobby is about? It does take quite a bit of effort but if the goal is to have life like sound with 3D imaging it takes some effort. For background music none of this stuff is needed. I guess that's why so few are into the hobby because for 99% of people out there background music is what they are after or basically just want to hear clearly what they are saying in the music/movie. And for that you don't need more than a soundbar or a bluetooth speaker.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Why thank you.
I think you really missed my point. All of them. Don’t assume I don’t know about setting up a dedicated home theatre or have not done so.
Im not talking about what home theatre enthusiasts aspire to. I’m talking about what movie producers aspire to. And commercial theatre aspire to. They are the limiting case.
I don’t dispute there is a quest for excellence in movie production. I am always amazed by the extraordinary levels of dedication and technical ability one sees. But they are directed at a different goal. Massive dynamic range is fine, but isn’t an end goal. Nor does it guarantee a reasonable final distortion free result. For music the dynamic range is what is natural. It can be huge, and live music can have extraordinary dynamic range. Usually never captured in available recordings
I attend a lot of live music. Even under lockdown two concerts this weekend. In a few minutes a world class string quartet in one of the best venues in existence for chamber music. There is no sound system on the planet that can get close. Still.
My point is that movie production technology is not directed at this, and other immersive technologies that might have helped have been stillborn.
This leaves a gap in requirements for AVRs.

This is still very ignorant of the state of the art in movie/tv content and based on some outdated notion of what the audio in movie making is aimed at. Movie audio doesn't degrade audio or aim for less because it will be played in movie theaters. For a long time, it has been limited by bandwidth/storage/transmission fighting for space with video content. But that is no longer true and just like music audio recording, the master that is created is aimed at as high a fidelity - dynamic range, tonal balance, imaging - as any music recording. What happens later depends on what media it gets into. When you buy a blu-ray of a movie with lossless, uncompressed audio, one excepts no less than buying an audio stream/disc. So, the views above are based on a very false and parochial premise.

Everything that applies to great music-only reproduction helps audio in a movie. But the requirements are actually in addition to that in HT. There are several reasons for this. For example,
1. The audio that is being captured is more often than not sounds that most people hear on a regular basis. The pots and pans, the man on the street speaking, the ambience of a bar, the creaking floorboards, etc. For that experience to sound natural and real, it has to be captured and played back as accurately as possible because it is easier for the human ear to detect (from familiarity) any failings there. One may not be directly listening directly to whether a creaking floorboard sounds natural, but I can assure you that an experience that makes it as real as if it was coming from your own house makes a huge difference. This has implications from recording to reproduction. The production is aimed at capturing that - not where it will be played just as music recordings aren't based on whether it will played in a high-end system or an iPod.

2. The surround experience goes far beyond anything music has done so far and places great demands on both recording and reproduction. The holy grail of HT audio is that 3-D holographic image that places the audience right in the scene. The fact that one is watching video and therefore is less aware of or requires less than the audio is based on a false premise that human perception is limited to only one thing at a time.

Some examples of fantastic recordings (I am happy to post clips of this if people are interested):
The opening scene of the movie Dunkirk. Watch it with audio turned off and the video is quite simple really and will look like a cartoon of not much happening. But add the audio with a high dynamic range and a natural capture of the gun shots (dynamic range, fast response, etc) that ring out in contrast with the pedestrian but well-captured sounds of "normalcy" before it (with all of its nuances captured which would even allow knowledgeable people to figure out what kind of a rifle it came out of let alone distinguish a rifle from a pistol) and the surround mix for situational context and the whole scene transforms into that gripping depiction of reality/danger more so than the video itself. It has very little to do with just loudness as some people might think.

Or for an even more pedestrian example, take the opening scene of the remake of A Star is Born from the stage performance to the cab scene following it. A compressed, down-mixed 2 channel audio will convey that sound fine but listen to the lossless format on a well set up and tuned surround system, it will be the difference between watching a music video on YouTube and getting what the director intended. To get you close to the character (whose psychological transformation is one of the main points of the movie) as much as the camera focusing on him does. You feel right on stage as the band or the character himself would hear and feel and the contrast from that performance to the sounds inside the cab is the striking difference between the public and the private life of the character well-captured in the audio.

And you need a great system to accurately reproduce that intent while you can get away with a lot less. But that is the same in music too.

None of the all-in-one AVRs can still do that because they are compromised designs with amps fighting for the same current capability, cramped quarters competing for resources and design trade-offs, etc. This is one main reason for getting a pre/pro and selecting the rest of the chain to get to that holy grail arrangement, not any more "quixotic" than the pursuit of perfect reproduction in audio.

Not all movie/tv audio is great reproduction but not all music reproduction is great either. But we judge our equipment based on how it can reproduce the best recorded/engineered content and the latter is not any more/less constrained than the best audio recordings.

There is probably as much good HT audio recordings as there are contemporary audio recordings so let us stop with those false premises.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
We've found the perfect application for all of those jitter-reduction devices.

index.php

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But for audiophiles who have dedicated rooms with low noise floor

I think this is a key point that are often forgotten. Just curious, what would consider "low noise floor", what is yours if you don't mind sharing. I posted mine (REW FR 20-20000 Hz) a couple of time.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Looking @ this versus the Denon 8500 which includes all the amplification and we can get for roughly half price of the JBL SSP's MSRP ... plus Auro 3D inside the machine as an extra bonus, ... one has a free thought on what direction he could go and not even blinking twice.

That's what I like about music and films ... the processing ritual to emotional and financial satisfaction. My way of saying, who else.

No need to read this; it's not part of the deal included with the JBL ...
https://neilpatel.com/blog/5-psychological-studies/

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One suspects that the elephant in the room for home theatre is that for the most part the source material is way worse in quality than these AVRs. Movies do not aspire to ultimate audio quality. They have a very different remit. Moreover, most people only ever watch most movies once. Everyone has some favourites, but even then, the number of times they are watched is way lower than a favourite piece of music is listened to. People are just not as critical of movies. The experience in most commercial theatres is poor, and altogether too much in the way of modern movie sound is geared towards spectacle, not quality. This is a low bar for an AVR.
Now if you want, or expect, a high quality musical experience from your AVR, things have a long way to go. On just about every front. So far HT technology has made little useful progress in helping us recieve a quality immersive musical experience. Which is a great shame.
Interesting how people can have such different opinions. The only thing I agree with is the relatively poor audio quality in movie theaters in the theaters I have watched a movie in (Usually to loud for my taste)

nm4711

On the website they state in the features list, that they use a 9028 Pro with -120 dB THD+N. But in the Specs they state -100 dB THD+N. Advertising with the DACs specs, while knowing that your product isn't even close to it. :facepalm:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Simple but sincere question - who the hell buys these things? What is the target market?
The feature set (high channel count, balanced outputs, dante networking), and the pricing, suggest that it's aimed at AV installations in corporate environment, not really for home use. I don't see rack ears tough, which is weird.

Top Bottom