• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

A.West

Forum Donor
So... money in AVRs/Pro buys features, robustness, etc.. but cleanest signal isn't guaranteed.

Nothing really new.
Not really robust. Firmware glitches, weird behavior. At least the high volume consumer electronics seem to not freeze, not have problems programming room correction routines. High prices and low volumes seems not to fund big budgets for programmers and robust software. I would worry about this turning into a white elephant product in a couple of years.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review, I wasn't expecting any miracles anyway ;)

@amirm how about Lyngdorf :)

PeteL

Major Contributor
@amirm

It's Dante, not Dente.

You really don't have to do this, I do realise that you have a new product to test everyday, but at least theoretically you should have at least the "possibility" to test it. This could be interesting for some of us, since I haven't seen a Dante digital interface actually measured. A combination of the Dante Controller, and the Dante virtual soundcard, make this possible, but Yes I know, not as straight forward as sending a signal from the APx555 so I'm just trowing it out there if it's of interest to you. If so, you can message me for help, it'll be my pleasure, just saying.
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-controller

Last edited:

Noah Katz

Does Dirac even do 15.1? On their website I only see it mentioning 7.1.2.

Yes, e.g. Monoprice HTP-1

I also see it uses Harman‘s own 16ch upmixer, I wonder how that compares to the Dolby/DTS counterparts.

So far, not so good according to reports at AVS forum.

It's Dante, not Dente

Darn I thought we had something we could sink our teeth into.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Arcam's response to this was that I had created a "ground loop" with my HTPC. Never mind that there is no mains frequency peak that would indicate a ground loop. The noise is broadband and encompasses a range up to a few hundred hertz.

Same DAC, one with transformer-coupled coax output (Musiland), one where SPDIF is just 2 pins from the motherboard (Realtek)

ljm-cs4398-spdif-noise2.png

wwenze

Major Contributor
- Blinking sample rate at low levels/muted!
- Seems to not operate below - 90 dBFS (15 bits)

Note how Coax did much worse here. The reason is that the device seems to mute its output with signal below -90 dBFS. It would flash the sample rate on the display. I reported this to Arcam as well with no response.

Finally, jitter and noise is very bad on Coax input:

Wow, that is weird.

Why would an SPDIF receiver go into mute with a signal below -90dBFS, since the BMC signal always exists? I know some Realtek drivers like to cut the signal entirely but that's the source's problem.

However that jitter graph with spikes at -90dB may be a hint. Since we know with biphase mark code a digital silence is just a constant 10101010 = just the clock signal. And this thing has a jitter at -90dB. Meaning the amount of jitter this thing produces is enough to make a digital silent signal into a digital not-silent signal. However since digital silence = clock, this also makes the signal into a not-clock which means the SPDIF locking is ruined. When the source is producing a digital not-silence, the BMC is less periodic and becomes less affected by the jitter (probably from a periodic source).

ADD: It might be fun to test those SPDIF improvement snake oils since we have a real jitter problem on our hands.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forget due to both having edits and there being fixed and whatnot, but does the Emotiva RMC-1 for $5000 offer anything over the Monoprice for $4000 (at say 3Vrms and lower; no amp needs more than that to my knowledge)?

It’s the other way around: for $500 less (net) HTP-1 offers Dirac Live Bass Control and Auro over RMC-1. HTP-1 may have superior PEQ functionality as well - I stopped following RMC development long ago. Auro stereo upmix is a necessary but not sufficient feature for me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm

It's Dante, not Dente.
I know. It was a typo I fixed.

You really don't have to do this, I do realise that you have a new product to test everyday, but at least theoretically you should have at least the "possibility" to test it. This could be interesting for some of us, since I haven't seen a Dante digital interface actually measured. A combination of the Dante Controller, and the Dante virtual soundcard, make this possible, but Yes I know, not as straight forward as sending a signal from the APx555 so I'm just trowing it out there if it's of interest to you. If so, you can message me for help, it'll be my pleasure, just saying.
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-controller
Sorry, I can't decipher your message. I don't have any Dante DAC to test with. Time has nothing to do with it. Nor the complexity. If you are offering a Dante DAC and can do so immediately before I have to return the unit to its owner, I can test with it. Otherwise, no I can't buy that hardware myself just for this one instance.

KEW

Forum Donor
Too bad pro-audio does not do multi-channel reproduction on a home scale.
Glitchy hardware is not tolerated when you have a mob audience waiting!
I was hoping to see better from JBL!

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One could have both - I have the 8 channel miniDsp that has Dirac. A Denon AVR pre-outs into the miniDsp DDRC-88A would be a relatively cheap, two-box option but won't get you 16 channels (can get close if you use two miniDsp units) I guess.
Would sure like it if someone sent a DDRC-88A in for testing by Amir.

Vasr

Major Contributor
One could have both - I have the 8 channel miniDsp that has Dirac. A Denon AVR pre-outs into the miniDsp DDRC-88A would be a relatively cheap, two-box option but won't get you 16 channels (can get close if you use two miniDsp units) I guess.

You would introduce an extra analog to digital and digital to analog conversion and limit EQ processing to 48k sampling rate in the DDRC. Have no idea what the maximum sampling rate is in the Dirac-enabled pre/pros but in theory Dirac can do up to 196k. It is limited by the processing power within these units.

Vasr

Major Contributor
The bipolar panther debuts!

The Monoprice HTP-1 subjective evaluation really looks unfair compared to this.

What is the relationship between JBL and Lexicon branding within Harman?

Arcam's response to this was that I had created a "ground loop" with my HTPC. Never mind that there is no mains frequency peak that would indicate a ground loop. The noise is broadband and encompasses a range up to a few hundred hertz. They said that they test using a portable HDMI signal generator that is operated on batteries. Naturally that device is generating a cleaner source than my PC. I explained to them that consumers don't use portable HDMI generators as their source and that they need to design their equipment so that it is immune to vagaries of HDMI. They did not respond. And here we are with the JBL version doing exactly the same thing.
Not to defend Arcam at all but most consumers in its target segment don't attach HDMI from PCs to the unit either. This hypothetical argument can be put to rest (for the testing process only) by lifting the electrical ground of the PC temporarily and checking if the noise persists. There doesn't need to be a mains peak dominant or even present in a "ground loop" issues. If it does persist, as I suspect it will, then it would confirm that is not the issue rather than leave open plausible deniability for Arcam/Harman.

As I have posted before, the mass-market AVRs have mastered HDMI processing better than anybody else for a "just works" reputation. HTP-1 seems to be the only one outside of that group which seems to be doing fine with its MDS HDMI boards - presumably because of the great care ATI puts into its QC.

I am not in the target market for Pre/Pros, but I would definitely recommend the HTP-1 over any of these.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Thanks for reviewing this @amirm this was the AVP I was sure was going to be the replacement for my 8801A... now I can just get the HTP-1 and rest easy knowing that I not only have an extra $2K in my pocket... but I'm not missing out on better performance nor reliability. The Dante option was somewhat compelling from the spec sheet, but if I'm honest, wasn't ever likely to actually be implemented in my theater anyway.

So sad that the "budget" category processors (Emotiva, Monoprice) are leading the class in performance - with performance that isn't stellar by any stretch at that. :confused:

digicidal

Major Contributor
The bipolar panther debuts!
The Monoprice HTP-1 subjective evaluation really looks unfair compared to this.
I am not in the target market for Pre/Pros, but I would definitely recommend the HTP-1 over any of these.

I completely agree with this, although if there is a defense to be made for Amir's selection on that one... it's that there weren't enough samples available at the time to easily conclude that it actually was a relatively great performer in it's class. No matter how much you see the diminishing returns of price and/or brand identity, it's still easy to tell yourself "surely you get something better for twice the price..." The reality seems to almost be the complete opposite in fact.

Top Bottom