• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 7 Series Unusably Bad - Help?

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I already have one LSR subwoofer. I don't know how to use 2 though. Could you show and explain it to me?
The LSR310 sub has balanced stereo I/O that sums <80Hz to mono and high passes stereo to your monitors. To use 2 of them you could use the left side I/O of one to your left monitor and right side I/O of the other to the right monitor. In other words, stereo subs. If you want to eliminate the localization, get some shorter speaker stands or cut down your existing ones and put them on top of each sub to hold the monitors. You'd want to secure the monitors to the stands in some fashion so vibration from the subs doesn't topple them. Make sure your input gains on each sub match whatever gain setting you're using on each monitor and don't use the XLF settings on the subs.

An alternate method would be to add a miniDSP 2x4 Balanced with a power supply, Phoenix to XLR cable set, and a UMIK-1 measurement mic. Then you'd have full bass management/room EQ capabilities as long as you have a laptop or PC to set the device up. It's advisable to separate the subs from the monitors for best placement in the room if you're wanting smooth and accurate bass.

OP
S

SadMonster

1 Typical TV, mine does allow it though.
2 I would expect the aTV to send 5.1 to the TV via HDMI if the TV say's it can decode 5.1, then the TV to downmix to 2.0. You might be able to control what it does, if so try getting the aTV to do the the downmix.
3 Can you change to a stereo soundtrack when streaming movies? You can in Netflix.

I actually just can't get audio out of Disney plus period if I don't enable the downmixing option in Apple TV. My TV has no audio options for optical out.

EDIT: actually changing from "auto" to "PCM" whatever that is seems to get me audio without enabling downmixing in Apple TV

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LSR310 sub has balanced stereo I/O that sums <80Hz to mono and high passes stereo to your monitors.
Are you sure it high passes the signal to the monitors? or only low-passes part of the signal to the sub?
If yes, what slope?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything below 80Hz mono to the sub and above 80Hz to left/right monitors. Slope is 24dB per octave active crossover.
I have a pair of 305p mk2 and am hesitating to add the 310S because I've read (here, maybe) someone complaining that the sound wasn't as clear with the sub so I thought perhaps there was no high pass. I'm a bit surprised about the 24dB/oct though (instead of 12dB/oct): it is pretty great.

Would you advise me to put a sub?

OP
S

SadMonster

Can anyone here tell me what "Q" I should use and at what frequency when programming my own subsonic filter?

Currently trying -12DB at 20hz with a Q of 16DB

Last edited:

Kouioui

Forum Donor
The 310S is part the JBL's 3 series monitor lineup so it's a perfect match to 305/306/308s. I use the first gen 305s with one 310S and will be adding a second one in the near future. I don't know who told you the sound wasn't clear. If anything, removing 80Hz and below from the 305s cleans them up to a large degree. It's always a good thing to add a measurement mic and use room EQ, especially if all your audio is PC based like mine so you can use REW and Equalizer APO. Once the entire system is EQ'd properly with a 1dB/octave slope house curve you won't believe how clear everything sounds and how high you can push the volume when nearfield listening.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 310S is part the JBL's 3 series monitor lineup so it's a perfect match to 305/306/308s. I use the first gen 305s with one 310S and will be adding a second one in the near future. I don't know who told you the sound wasn't clear. If anything, removing 80Hz and below from the 305s cleans them up to a large degree. It's always a good thing to add a measurement mic and use room EQ, especially if all your audio is PC based like mine so you can use REW and Equalizer APO. Once the entire system is EQ'd properly with a 1dB/octave slope house curve you won't believe how clear everything sounds and how high you can push the volume when nearfield listening.
Yeah, reading that the sound wasn't as clear with the sub was a bit weird. That left me with a few hypothesis:
a) Adding the sub activated room modes that weren't as pronounced before.
b) There was no high-pass filter.
c) The crossover slope was no more than 12dB/octave.

One more question: can the sub be placed in a corner of the room? 80 Hz seems high enough for the sub to produce 160 Hz content with only 24 dB of attenutation.

OP
S

SadMonster

Yeah, reading that the sound wasn't as clear with the sub was a bit weird. That left me with a few hypothesis:
a) Adding the sub activated room modes that weren't as pronounced before.
b) There was no high-pass filter.
c) The crossover slope was no more than 12dB/octave.

One more question: can the sub be placed in a corner of the room? 80 Hz seems high enough for the sub to produce 160 Hz content with only 24 dB of attenutation.

1. This depends on location of sub but it's definitely possible
2. There is a high pass filter at 80hz, I wish it were adjustable

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I can't give you a definitive answer to that until I add my 2nd sub as I have my 310S placed between my 305s at the moment. I plan on putting them in opposite corners of a rectangular shaped room at first but will try opposite mid-walls also. I'd like to add the miniDSP 2x4 Balanced to the setup as the bass management options like delay and summing to mono for both subs sounds appealing. I can choose my own crossover frequencies also. Theoretically, once everything is EQ'd correctly and most of the nulls and peaks below 200Hz are minimized I shouldn't be able to localize either sub.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't give you a definitive answer to that until I add my 2nd sub as I have my 310S placed between my 305s at the moment. I plan on putting them in opposite corners of a rectangular shaped room at first but will try opposite mid-walls also. I'd like to add the miniDSP 2x4 Balanced to the setup as the bass management options like delay and summing to mono for both subs sounds appealing. I can choose my own crossover frequencies also. Theoretically, once everything is EQ'd correctly and most of the nulls and peaks below 200Hz are minimized I shouldn't be able to localize either sub.
I would have bought that 2x4 Balanced already if it was not so ugly and if it didn't have those phoenix connectors.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone here tell me what "Q" I should use and at what frequency when programming my own subsonic filter?

Currently trying -12DB at 20hz with a Q of 16DB
I don't understand that way of expressing Q, is this a parametric filter you are creating?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand that way of expressing Q, is this a parametric filter you are creating?
A Q is also needed when you want to implement some LS or HS filters in RePhase. Default is 0.707.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Q is also needed when you want to implement some LS or HS filters in RePhase. Default is 0.707.
And for a subsonic filter I think q=5 would work well with a high pass, but not for a parametric filter, as it's too sharp and the low end recovers.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a pair of 305p mk2 and am hesitating to add the 310S because I've read (here, maybe) someone complaining that the sound wasn't as clear with the sub so I thought perhaps there was no high pass. I'm a bit surprised about the 24dB/oct though (instead of 12dB/oct): it is pretty great.

The 310s can be had so cheap it's downright foolish not to buy a second one if you have the $250 they typically go for on the used market. Made a huge difference for me .

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 310s can be had so cheap it's downright foolish not to buy a second one if you have the $250 they typically go for on the used market. Made a huge difference for me .
The room I have them in is very small though: 7m².

Kouioui

Forum Donor
The room I have them in is very small though: 7m².
Two will help you smooth those room modes more, especially if you're in a square room. Four would be ideal according to Dr Toole but I'm just looking to tame a rectangular room. Paid $242 for my 310S last year from Amazon Warehouse and it arrived and functions as new. I have a camelcamelcamel price alert at $250 waiting for my 2nd.

Top Bottom