• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 review by Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Member @gnarly doubts JBL 4367 are measurably better than RCF 9 series:

That plot clearly show RCF 945 (the most expensive model in 9 series) has much worse frequency response than JBL 4367 .
If that's the Linear preset for the ART945, then it's somewhat rougher than I would have expected. Maybe it's the Boost setting..???
I also see it doesn't have a bank of onboard EQs, which i found surprising. Never really looked at this box before, until trying to point out a low cost, but quality, CD over 15".

At any rate, i wouldn't call it 'much worse' .. and it is only a $2000 box....complete with amplification and processing.

If we really want to compare frequency response of more fully priced alternatives, I'd suggest two i'm more familiar with...the longstanding Meyer UPA-1p, and the newer X-40 which is its replacement. Both are self-powered, analog active, bi-amped boxes. Top drawer drivers, electronics, and craftmanship. Meyer is reputed to buy a bunch of JBL CD's to pass/fail them for their products. Certainly more R&D went into them than the JBL studio box. And a pair can be had for around half the price of a pair of 4367s.

Look, i'm getting off this wagon now...and hope i haven't offended anyone including you.
I really do think the pricing is kinda unjustified....but that's just me....Ok?

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After all this unnecessarily salty debate a few weeks ago, where Sean Olive himself told us, it was only a naive number with its constrained dimensionality, I must say: I do miss the score.

@hardisj @MZKM @Maiky76, can we have it? :p

P.S., this message board is missing the essential, because nicely suggestive ‘pleading eyes’ smiley.

399811AA-C5A2-4C2E-9F1B-6A96A1CACDB0.jpeg

fineMen

Major Contributor
What error ... it transforms the wavefront from the CD to work on the WG.
I've seen the Diff/Drive drivers discussed by JBL themselves, in a 'white paper'. First of all, these guys are honest, and I appreciate it so much. Result was, DD is good for "umpf" but doesn't improve on mids and/or intermodulation. At least according to their own presentation. I didn't have DD drivers at hand yet, though. Shall I? XBL I have, problem is the suspension. Otherwise the XBL meet highest expectations perfectly, copper in the motor and so on. Huge excursion, but then Doppler.

I do not like the looks of xxxx. I would rather take a cinema speaker, as it is designed not to be seen. But taste cannot be disputed. Except ...

I think it is time for JBL to invent something new.

Vladimir Filevski

Discussion was about other theme, please read the posts from the beginning.
I use equalizers routinely in all of my professional loudspeaker setups.

tuga

Major Contributor
I agree, but on-axis is the most important part - when it sucks, nothing will help. Off-axis measurements, directivity plots, etc. are on page 5:
https://www.rcf.it/en/products/product-detail/art-945-a
(click on Downloads, specheet-eng)

The RCF FR plot has quite a bit of smoothing but it doesn't "suck" (and the broad dip at 1.5kHz will sound perceptually pleasing to more than a few listeners):

v3Mwesm.png

I couldn't overlay the DI because @hardisj 's plot is missing an equivalent scale. But neither speaker looks particularly stellar in that parameter...

ypF4Hji.png

Last edited:

changer

I couldn't overlay the DI because @hardisj 's plot is missing an equivalent scale.
DI is always beginning at 0 dB where the speaker is radiating omnidirectional, this is why there is no separate scale needed, just use the intervals of the SPL chart. 4367 is reaching a DI of about 14 dB in the high frequencies.

tuga

Major Contributor
DI is always beginning at 0 dB where the speaker is radiating omnidirectional, this is why there is no separate scale needed, just use the intervals of the SPL chart. 4367 is reaching a DI of about 14 dB in the high frequencies.

Thanks. If I understood correctly it should be something like this:

Edit: overlay corrected, see below

Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

The RCF FR plot has quite a bit of smoothing but it doesn't "suck" (and the broad dip at 1.5kHz will sound perceptually pleasing to more than a few listeners):
OK, but 4367 curve is undeniable flatter and much more extended at lower frequencies, with nicely gentler slope (RCF 945-A drops like a stone below 70 Hz).
Remind you, the (false) corollary was "JBL 4367 is not measurable better than RCF 945, although RCF 945 is a fraction of the price":
Yes, the 4367 has good drivers, but i doubt they are measurably better than say in RCF's 9 series boxes....for a fraction of the price.
So, still there is no competitor with lower cost, comparable measurements and good/acceptable/tolerable visual appearance. Just look at the RCF 945-A with those handles...
Edit: Don't get me wrong - RCF 945 has typical pro look, nicely executed. But placing such a pair of pro boxes would be coyote-ugly in a living room would be double-coyote-ugly.

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
... such pro boxes would be coyote-ugly in a living room.
.. but still not that much as the 4367 with its gauche plastic bulk of arbritary, yet exaggerated, but conflicting color, shape, texture elements.

What do You think, we as the wealthy demographic considering the 4387 (silly numbers) as a reasonable purchase, expect to be pleased with? Isn't a dedicated p/a speaker more lofty, fitting our new york appartment better!

Of course the JBL technology is en par with the competition, but discussing the aesthetics is a quite steep slippery slope ...

fluid

Of course there are such live/install pro loudspeakers.
But...
Have you ever seen how they look??? Would you ever, and I mean EVER, place such ugliness in your living room?
Of course, there are exceptions, like pro loudspeakers for clubs - they are sexy... but overly large and impossible to fit in a normal room.
It's understandable that you wouldn't want a pro looking speaker in your living room, but to add some context to gnarly's position (I hope he doesn't mind) here is his latest speaker setup, almost JBL blue :)

Attachments

• syn10T spread.jpg
    syn10T spread.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom