• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any way for me to do multichannel with DSP for cheap? Currently use CamillaDSP for 2.0

OfficialChill

So I have made some progress since my last thread here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pi-camilladsp-with-remote-functionality.49276

My current setup is Apple TV 4K (mainly for Plex and YouTube) --> LG C3 optical out --> Hifime UR23 --> Raspi 4B running CamillaDSP (and also shairport) --> SMSL M300SE --> 2 X Kali LP6v2

My brain is fried trying to work out if it's possible to get something that can support 4.1 or 5.1 with active speakers that isn't a $599 (MiniDSP Flex HT) or even $949 for the balanced version, or alternatively a Denon X3700H or Marantz 70S, but then I'd lose the DSP capability of CamillaDSP. I'm thinking about introducing surround channels to begin with.

The main issue is getting multichannel from the Apple TV, to the LG via HDMI, and then to the Raspi. Currently only PCM works and this is obviously limited to 2 channel. I'm not even sure there's a way around this - making me think my only options are getting some dedicated HTPC or biting the bullet with one of the above options. The MiniDSP dont even do decoding so my thinking is if I'm paying that much I may as well just go for an AVR.

What are your thoughts on this predicament?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you have a dedicated HTPC, I don't think you can beat the Flex HT or an AVR for multichannel.

Flex HT can easily be used with the LPCM HDMI output of the Apple TV. I believe the LG C3 has ARC/eARC so you should be able to use that to get the Apple TV audio into the Flex HT. Otherwise, a HDMI splitter upstream of the LG would work.

Advantage to an AVR is you can decode atmos from the Apple TV (in the form of LPCM + MAT) if you ever end up with height channels.

There are ways of getting multichannel into CamillaDSP from an AppleTV but they will all be lower quality and/or more expensive than a Flex HT / AVR, and definitely more complicated.

Michael

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you're trying to keep the price below the Flex HT you'd probably have to go for used multichannel interfaces with good linux support. That's a research project in itself, and may need some luck finding one at a good price. And that's after the problems already pointed out. About the only reason to do it this way is for the fun of taking on an impractical project.

OP
OfficialChill

OfficialChill

Yeah I think I've come to the conclusion that I'll just need to save for an X3800H; perhaps I could go for a cheaper AVR and get passives (maybe the Wharfedale 12.1 would be a suitable neutral option), but I'd lose the option of Dirac

cata02

I am facing the same problem.
The path I tried to take is finding SBC with support for HDMI (e)ARC; bought an orangepi and awaiting for proper kernel support, should happen soon with 6.7; though i am not clear if earc will be supported.

note that this will not enable decoding of object formats; i pesonally don't care ab them; i'd be happy with hdmi arc+cec 5.1.

Multi-channel output from a SBC can be done the cheapo way with multiple DACs with some potential sync problems - haven't tested.
Or usb based Digital out (minidsp has some product) or analog out - but they are not cheap afaik.

I am lately inclined towards marantz cinema 70 and if i get the orangepi idea functional, sell the marantz.
i'd like to love the minidsp route, but i read there's some risk the tv won't send decoded multi-channel on hdmi and that kills it; I should probably confirm this first.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Multi-channel output from a SBC can be done the cheapo way with multiple DACs with some potential sync problems - haven't tested.
Or usb based Digital out (minidsp has some product) or analog out - but they are not cheap afaik.
If you really enjoy all the time and effort trying to reinvent the wheel, no problem, go for it.
But any way you try do it "on the cheap" will bring with it loads of compromises and many times in the end
only dissatisfaction.
Just get the best AVR or Pre/Pro you can afford, new or used, and begin to enjoy all the fantastic surround
sound options available to you from 4.0 Quad to the latest Atmos recordings
JMHO

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I have made some progress since my last thread here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pi-camilladsp-with-remote-functionality.49276

My current setup is Apple TV 4K (mainly for Plex and YouTube) --> LG C3 optical out --> Hifime UR23 --> Raspi 4B running CamillaDSP (and also shairport) --> SMSL M300SE --> 2 X Kali LP6v2

My brain is fried trying to work out if it's possible to get something that can support 4.1 or 5.1 with active speakers that isn't a $599 (MiniDSP Flex HT) or even $949 for the balanced version, or alternatively a Denon X3700H or Marantz 70S, but then I'd lose the DSP capability of CamillaDSP. I'm thinking about introducing surround channels to begin with.

The main issue is getting multichannel from the Apple TV, to the LG via HDMI, and then to the Raspi. Currently only PCM works and this is obviously limited to 2 channel. I'm not even sure there's a way around this - making me think my only options are getting some dedicated HTPC or biting the bullet with one of the above options. The MiniDSP dont even do decoding so my thinking is if I'm paying that much I may as well just go for an AVR.

What are your thoughts on this predicament?
What are you using with Camilla? If it’s just EQ, then a Denon with MQX allows input from REW.

If you are using convolution you would have to go with a MiniDSP for a “boxed” solution.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you using with Camilla? If it’s just EQ, then a Denon with MQX allows input from REW.

If you are using convolution you would have to go with a MiniDSP for a “boxed” solution.
Also, if you just need PEQ or convolution for music, you can just do it in Roon. Any time you see Amir EQ a speaker in a review, that's what he's using.

Top Bottom