• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting studio monitors (Kali LP6) to TV + rPi CamillaDSP with remote functionality

OfficialChill

Hi, I'm looking for a solution to connect my Kali LP6 to a TV with optical as well as my rPi CamillaDSP, and something that gives me remote control for volume. It seems like a DAC might be the cheapest way to do this, and I've been eyeing the SMSL M300 SE - it has balanced and a remote for $129. I'd likely need to buy some sort of TOSLINK to USB so my TV audio goes through the DSP first

My concerns are: I've seen people mention a sub could be connected to the M300 with 3.5mm to RCA, although this would be a bit crude since the speakers wouldnt be high passed. I currently don't have a sub but I'm just thinking about the future; I guess a studio sub like the Kali WS6.2 would negate this issue

The other is I've seen people mention digital volume attenuation vs preamp - the M300 is digital. Is this an issue in any way?

What other options do I have? I'm in the UK so from what I can see I would have to shell out for a miniDSP or an AVR with line level outputs; I would only be spending this much when I have the ability to add a sub and more channels

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
The other is I've seen people mention digital volume attenuation vs preamp - the M300 is digital. Is this an issue in any way?
Not really. There have been reports of the digital volume control inside DACs resetting to 100% due to a firmware bug, however, you can simply set up CamillaDSP so that 100% volume on the M300 SE is just loud enough.

Signal fidelity using digital volume control is certainly not an issue nowadays, as the DAC noise will be far below the ambient noise and Amp noise.

For the volume control, take a look at this thread, specifically the part with the FLIRC USB.
It allows you to keep using the standard TV remote for volume.

OP
OfficialChill

OfficialChill

Not really. There have been reports of the digital volume control inside DACs resetting to 100% due to a firmware bug, however, you can simply set up CamillaDSP so that 100% volume on the M300 SE is just loud enough.

Signal fidelity using digital volume control is certainly not an issue nowadays, as the DAC noise will be far below the ambient noise and Amp noise.

For the volume control, take a look at this thread, specifically the part with the FLIRC USB.
It allows you to keep using the standard TV remote for volume.

Thanks

To be fair that's the tutorial I followed when I set up my rPi. I'm wondering if there'd even be benefit to me getting an external DAC compared to my existing solution of a simple Apple type C dongle; I could simply just get the TOSLINK to USB and the FLIRC IR receiver. The type C only supports 48kHz so I have to do resampling, I wonder if this introduces delay. Also wonder if balanced outputs on the SMSL would give any benefit in terms of speaker hiss.

staticV3

Master Contributor

MCH

Major Contributor
Thanks

To be fair that's the tutorial I followed when I set up my rPi. I'm wondering if there'd even be benefit to me getting an external DAC compared to my existing solution of a simple Apple type C dongle; I could simply just get the TOSLINK to USB and the FLIRC IR receiver. The type C only supports 48kHz so I have to do resampling, I wonder if this introduces delay. Also wonder if balanced outputs on the SMSL would give any benefit in terms of speaker hiss.
In my opinion, if seeing the volume level on a display has any value to you (to me it does) then the smsl DAC option starts to make sense:
The Camilladsp tutorial includes as well an OLED display that works great, but if you start to do the maths (30 eur display, 20 eur flirc, an enclosure...) You start to approach the price of the DAC that gives you all that + balanced output + some resale value... my 0.02
PS: I would not worry much about delay if the aim is to watch tv.

OP
OfficialChill

OfficialChill

Here's the Toslink to USB that I'm using: https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/

FWIW, my TV (LG OLED E7) resamples all audio to 48kHz anyway when Toslink output is selected.

I think UR23 is the best option for me - pretty inexpensive. Regarding the resampling, I think it's Shairport that "outputs" 44.1kHz. I suppose if the TV outputs 48kHz then no resampling will be required

In my opinion, if seeing the volume level on a display has any value to you (to me it does) then the smsl DAC option starts to make sense:
The Camilladsp tutorial includes as well an OLED display that works great, but if you start to do the maths (30 eur display, 20 eur flirc, an enclosure...) You start to approach the price of the DAC that gives you all that + balanced output + some resale value... my 0.02
PS: I would not worry much about delay if the aim is to watch tv.

Yeah a display would be nice. The reports of it resetting to 100% volume are a bit concerning but if I can limit the volume in CamillaDSP then I guess that's taken care of

Top Bottom