• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Most test records sweeps are recorded without RIAA, or the with RIAA only below 1000hz. So recording flat gives the actual cartridge response ,- and not the cartridge + RIAA amp combined.
So, the CA TRS1007 is not recorded with RIAA?

JP

Major Contributor
They have turnover.

mackat

Forum Donor
Technics EPC-205C-IIL

Original stylus, unknown hours of use, cantilever slightly off-center:

Technics EPC-205C-IIL_1.5 g_~180 pF_47k Ω_CA-TRS-1007 #1 - Side B_norm1_1_17 Beta.png

JICO SAS with very little use, secured with Blu-Tack, as without it is slightly loose:

Technics EPC-205C-IIL SAS_1.5 g_~180 pF_47k Ω_CA-TRS-1007 #1 - Side B_norm1_1_17 Beta.png

mackat

Forum Donor
The technics performance is a bit disappointing - that high end droop should be fixable with loading adjustment...
I have a feeling that at least some of that may have to do with the specific stylus example I have. It may not have been kept in the best environmental conditions in Japan.

At some point, I will pick up an NOS EPS-205EX and measure it.

Additionally, the EPC-205C-IIL model is very low inductance (40 mH)/impedance, as far as I understand to be relatively immune to loading variables.

205CII_s&L-1.jpg

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Col. Panic

I've attached the code here - just change the extension from ".txt." to ".py". (It looks like the this form doesn't let you upload .py files.) It's just a few tweaks and point solution for this specific task. If there's interest I can modify it to accept an arbitrary number of files and plot them against each other. Let me know if folks would find that useful.
After another evening's work, I wasn't able to make much improvement on the the Rainer response. I can minimize cross-talk adjusting azimuth, which lands me just about where I started. For the frequency response dip between 5 and 10 kHz, I can make up about 0.5 dB with my preamp's maximum capacitive load of 200 pF, but it's a drop in the bucket on the 2 dB problem. I've attached my some documentation on my process in case it's useful to anyone or if anyone has any advice. For now, I think it's as good as I can get it and will slap an EQ on it to fix what's left.

Thanks all, for your help so far!

Attachments

• Turntable Calibration.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 36

mackat

Forum Donor
Denon DL-103

This one I purchased new in 2020. It shouldn't have more than 30 or so hours of use, I believe. I wonder what's behind the glitch at ~11k. It is repeatable.

Denon DL-103_2.5 g_~180 pF_1k Ω_CA-TRS-1007 #1 - Side B_norm1_1_17 Beta.png

Top Bottom