• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It all seems to be working so far! Can load up the filter bank with 8ch XO configs and all is good.

Next up, revisit rePhase and roll correction into the XO's. Thanks!

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mitchco (and anyone else interested) I've updated my guide for active XO and convolution in my signature to include your great software since it's now out of beta and working so well.

Davide

I used to do this in HQ player. You can create xtalk cancellation filters for Roon as well. This convolver looks awesome.
I am ashamed, but I must admit that this is new to me.
I'm looking for some more information on the technique but I can't find anything specific.
To understand, it is a correction that is calculated based on what? Speaker measurement?
Do the various Acourate, Audiolense, etc., do something like this?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am ashamed, but I must admit that this is new to me.
I'm looking for some more information on the technique but I can't find anything specific.
To understand, it is a correction that is calculated based on what? Speaker measurement?
Do the various Acourate, Audiolense, etc., do something like this?

@mitchco has written a book and articles on this. If you are starting from scratch I would just use his service, he will walk you through how to do it

Davide

@mitchco
Does the host support MIDI controls?
I'm trying to insert the MIDI input object but nothing appears...

Zapuan

Hi @mitchco,
I've been using dirac live for 10 years in a symmetrical rectangular room with two Cerwin Vegas! XLS215 in the corners of the short side and sofa in the center of the room. I listen from PC with Windows 11, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 card and have always used Jriver, but in the last couple of years I switched to Tidal, I also listen from Youtube and sometimes from analogue sources connected to the Scarlett. The CVs are driven by a Yamaha P5000SA power amp.
I would like to switch to active multi-amp with XO on PC. I thought to use AL to generate the FIR filters and use your convolver.
In a first stage I would like to keep the room correction with Dirac Live.
How should I put the convolver in the chain?
Sorry for my bad english.

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
Hi @Zapuan, typically a virtual audio driver is used to loopback app specific and/or system wide audio into the convolver. E.g. VB Virtual Audio Cable on Windows (BlackHole on Mac and ALSA loopback on Linux).

Tidal app->VB VAC->DLP->HLC->8i6->amps->speakers.

You could use HLConvolverHost to host both DLP and HLC something like this:

DLP HLC.png

I did not have time to test this. Not sure how you would do the measurement side...

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Hi @mitchco,
I've been using dirac live for 10 years in a symmetrical rectangular room with two Cerwin Vegas! XLS215 in the corners of the short side and sofa in the center of the room. I listen from PC with Windows 11, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 card and have always used Jriver, but in the last couple of years I switched to Tidal, I also listen from Youtube and sometimes from analogue sources connected to the Scarlett. The CVs are driven by a Yamaha P5000SA power amp.
I would like to switch to active multi-amp with XO on PC. I thought to use AL to generate the FIR filters and use your convolver.
How should I put the convolver in the chain?
Sorry for my bad english.
Just wondering why you would have both Dirac and the convolver in the chain? Were you really planning to use both at the same time or just as a pass-through depending on which one was in use?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could use HLConvolverHost to host both DLP and HLC something like this:

How did you get DLP to show up in HLC? Windows only feature?

Juce seems to be very particular about what AU plugins it will allow on Mac.

Zapuan

Just wondering why you would have both Dirac and the convolver in the chain? Were you really planning to use both at the same time or just as a pass-through depending on which one was in use?
Because in a First step i think to use the convolver with fir filter to XO and linearize the CV, and Dirac to correct the room.
I know that mitchco use also the convolver for the room, but i don't sure to be able to do this with optimum result, and i still don't understand if the best is a single measure or a multi measure for correct the room.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BTW, welcome to ASR @Zapuan! Yes, you can insert a 2ch convolution filter in front of HLC that is strictly performing XO duties. I have a filter sets like that which helped work out the best XO scheme to begin with.

Audiolense and Accurate can include speaker and room correction directly into the XO but sometimes it's fun to see what other tools have to offer. I've played with 2ch Dirac filters along with my own created in REW & Rephase and it works well but probably not as well as full individual channel treatment.

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
How did you get DLP to show up in HLC? Windows only feature?

Juce seems to be very particular about what AU plugins it will allow on Mac.
Hi @DWPress as you may already know, AU plugins require code signing, notarization, compiled against Apple's hardened runtime, and tested on the target MacOS. Further complicated if running Apple Silicon, then the AU plugin must be recompiled to support. Then the AU plugin must be validated. One way to validate AU plugins is to use the command line tool auval. Another way is to use Apple's Logic Pro (90 day free trial) which has auvaltool built-in and won't load an AU plugin unless is passes validation.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mitchco I've used auval to double check plugins and though they pass Apples validation in Terminal they still won't load into anything Juce based on my M1. Plugins like Dirac should have no problem getting through. Same problem with my Intel 2018 Mac mini either running Mojave or Monterey. Any further tips to get plugins recognized?

I've a M2 on order with max RAM, still plying the slippery waters of new OS and hardware beta testing audio apps.

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
@DWPress in strict mode? Let's take this offline, you have my email address. Can you either send me an example AU plugin or point to a free trial of one of the plugins that won't load? I will run the host on my M1 in debug mode and see what error messages come up.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mitchco Dirac is a perfect example if you have it on your Mac. I'll look forward to hearing what you come up with either here or via email.

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
@DWPress don't have it for Mac... and sorry don't have time to signup, etc. Have you tried loading DLP AU in Logic Pro on M1?

PS. Let's take this offline please. Send me an email.

Top Bottom