• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interested to see how NAD T778 measures and performs

tparm

Forum Donor
Not trying to go off topic, but this discussion does bring something that has been in the back of my mind for a while, is the whole dual-sub overblown? I have a large u-shaped sectional while it will be (once moved in) set primarily focused on the MLP, it's often just me listening to music and when we watch movies its me and girlfriend sitting in the center of the sofa. Only occasionally do I have a party to watch a game or an office movie day. I have two Monolith 15s budgeted so its not a big deal, but the set up would be so much easier with just one sub.

I will use crawl+ REW to determine locations and at this point Dirac in my 850 (processor/receiver subject to change). Boot this post off here if not appropriate but I'd like you all to chime in if you feel so led.....

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not trying to go off topic, but this discussion does bring something that has been in the back of my mind for a while, is the whole dual-sub overblown? I have a large u-shaped sectional while it will be (once moved in) set primarily focused on the MLP, it's often just me listening to music and when we watch movies its me and girlfriend sitting in the center of the sofa. Only occasionally do I have a party to watch a game or an office movie day. I have two Monolith 15s budgeted so its not a big deal, but the set up would be so much easier with just one sub.

I will use crawl+ REW to determine locations and at this point Dirac in my 850 (processor/receiver subject to change). Boot this post off here if not appropriate but I'd like you all to chime in if you feel so led.....

A single sub is in most cases a bad idea (unless you're doing a very near field setup for one listening location). Two subs at the right locations from a single output will be a huge improvement.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Likely, but Dirac's multisub optimizer does it automatically for 150 bucks extra. You decide if it's worth your time and effort doing it manually with a miniDSP 2x4 or similar.

Ok, I may have misunderstood. Assuming the T778 will never have independent sub outputs but NAD will offer the single sub Bass Control upgrade for it down the road, would the mini-dsp be of benefit?

markus

Ok, I may have misunderstood. Assuming the T778 will never have independent sub outputs but NAD will offer the single sub Bass Control upgrade for it down the road, would the mini-dsp be of benefit?

Depends on the acoustical situation in your room and what your optimization goal is. Multiple seats, single seat, max. output, smoothness, variance? In any case most users don't have the knowledge to do a proper manual optimization even when equipped with tools like REW, MSO and a miniDSP 2x4.

markus

Lonestar1027

Forum Donor
That's great news. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would imply that we should see some pretty impressive measurements once my unit arrives? I've never heard any HypeX amps, but it seems like they have performed very well in the past.

markus

That's great news. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would imply that we should see some pretty impressive measurements once my unit arrives? I've never heard any HypeX amps, but it seems like they have performed very well in the past.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Those UcD's are a 20 years old design from Bruno Putzeys.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
A quick google search shows that the UCD102 is used in the NAD C368 and C388.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
In this extensive german T778 review there are problems with Dirac and frustrations over impossibilities in the settings/menu. Power rating is confirmed as stated by NAD.

With translated subs it's pretty informative.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Any news on the ASR test of this unit?

Lonestar1027

Forum Donor
Unfortunately not really - I'm still in a holding pattern. My dealer said he expects the next shipment to arrive by mid July, but NAD is saying that they aren't shipping again until September. Not really sure who to trust on this one. I'd love to buy from a dealer that has a unit in stock, but I got a great deal on this and nobody is able to match it. I live close to Amir and it'll be tested before I even set it up at my place. Sorry for the delay, I'm not stoked about it either.

3dbinCanada

More interesting then SINAD is to see if NAD is still haunted by QC problems and premature component failure.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Unfortunately not really - I'm still in a holding pattern. My dealer said he expects the next shipment to arrive by mid July, but NAD is saying that they aren't shipping again until September. Not really sure who to trust on this one. I'd love to buy from a dealer that has a unit in stock, but I got a great deal on this and nobody is able to match it. I live close to Amir and it'll be tested before I even set it up at my place. Sorry for the delay, I'm not stoked about it either.

For what it’s worth, it sure looked like Safe and Sound had some to order, as of last night. There wasn’t the usual “call for availability” tag or anything like that.

Last edited:

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Just did a quick perusal of some other discussion forum for owners of this model. It sounds like it's still bedeviled by bugs, unfortunately. NAD would appear to be shipping replacement units quite a bit from the sound of things. Such a bummer.

zelig

Forum Donor
Just did a quick perusal of some other discussion forum for owners of this model. It sounds like it's still bedeviled by bugs, unfortunately. NAD would appear to be shipping replacement units quite a bit from the sound of things. Such a bummer.
Where I'm from 'nad means testicle. That should tell you everything you need to know about this brand. Nad bugs... never a good thing no matter how you look at it.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

starfly

Forum Donor
This unit using Hypex amps doesn't really mean that much if the DAC + pre-amp stage is terrible. And I'm most interested in that piece, how does the DAC + pre-amp stage perform on this unit. I'd still like to have an all-in-one pre-amp with Dirac and good streaming software to go along with my separate Purifi power-amp. But we'll see how the measurements pan-out.

Top Bottom