• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interested to see how NAD T778 measures and performs

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s usually the interest to show the lowest distortion, unless that’s way below the max power, which isn’t usually the case.

I don't understand what you mean, perhaps you can clarify.

tparm

Forum Donor
Neither Chris Eberle's review on Home Theater HiFi nor the Sound and Vision review include bench test results. Disappointing. Especially from Secrets.

tparm

Forum Donor
Looks like they are using the Hypex UCD102 for amplification: https://www.hypex.nl/product/ucd102-oem/52
Not much data available on those modules since they are OEM. @markus do you have any data on how they stack up against the consumer Hypex variants? I realize there are lots of architectural parts that affect performance but I'm curious what NAD started out with. Also I know you are keen on the NAD products and super active on multiple forums, what is your impression of the 778 thus far? Thanks.

tparm

Forum Donor
Nowhere does NAD say that the 778 has nCore. That's misinformation spreading all over social media since they mentioned the 778 together with an amp in one press release...
The review linked above mentions nCore several times?

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On their site you can see NAD gives a number at full rated power and at 1/3 rated power to provide additional transparency.

• FTC

• 8 Ohms
  • 140W (21.5dBW)
  • 4 Ohms
  • 170W (22.3dBW)
  • Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously at full bandwidth at rated distortion)
  • 9 x 85W
  • IHF Dynamic Power

• 8 Ohms
  • 165W (22.2dBW)
  • 4 Ohms
  • 280W (24.5dBW)
  • Total harmonic distortion at rated power
  • <0.08%
  • IM distortion at 1/3 rated power
  • <0.03%
  • Damping factor
  • >300 (20Hz-1kHz, 8 ohms)
  • Input sensitivity and impedance
  • 1.12Vrms (ref. 8 Ohms, VOL at 0dB)
  • Frequency response
  • +0.3/-0.8dB (ref. 1kHz, 20Hz-20kHz)
  • Signal/noise ratio
  • >100dB (ref. rated power at 8 Ohms, A-Weighted)
  • Signal/noise ratio
  • >85dB (ref. 1W at 8 Ohms, A-Weighted)

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not much data available on those modules since they are OEM. @markus do you have any data on how they stack up against the consumer Hypex variants? I realize there are lots of architectural parts that affect performance but I'm curious what NAD started out with. Also I know you are keen on the NAD products and super active on multiple forums, what is your impression of the 778 thus far? Thanks.

To my knowledge a 778 is on its way to Amir for review. Stay tuned.

I'm not "keen on the NAD products". I just happen to have a NAD 758v3 which is by far the best value if you want Dirac Live. Happy to switch to any other brand if a better value product comes along with Dirac Live Bass Control. Right now I see only overpriced and/or underperforming AVR/P's with that feature.

The review linked above mentions nCore several times?

Which review?

MaxTemp

Which review?

I think he means the Sound and Vision review but that only mentions Hypex and not nCore. Pretty sure if it was nCore, NAD would have made a big deal about it in their literature.

tparm

Forum Donor
To my knowledge a 778 is on its way to Amir for review. Stay tuned.

I'm not "keen on the NAD products". I just happen to have a NAD 758v3 which is by far the best value if you want Dirac Live. Happy to switch to any other brand if a better value product comes along with Dirac Live Bass Control. Right now I see only overpriced and/or underperforming AVR/P's with that feature.

Which review?
https://blog.son-video.com/en/2020/04/review-nad-t778/

Not saying its accurate, but the poster only mentioned what he read.

DLxP

In a clear, albeit small, demonstration of how @amirm's hard work influences buyers: I'm holding off buying the T778 until I see the review.

Also, long time lurker but first post. This site's fantastic and @amirm's work is a much needed antidote to the subjectivism found elsewhere.

DLxP

Am I right in thinking the T778 does not have independent sub outs, and therefore won't be able to run the multi-sub tier of Dirac Bass Control?

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Am I right in thinking the T778 does not have independent sub outs, and therefore won't be able to run the multi-sub tier of Dirac Bass Control?

unfortunately, you’re right... At least they’ve said as much. However, I’m not sure we have conclusive evidence that it is a hardware issue (and not a matter of firmware enabling the possibility independent outs), and there is the possibility that they’ll eventually offer an upgrade module.

MaxTemp

That is correct. It uses the same internals as the T777.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I see two subout connections.
Not independent?

DLxP

It's seems they're in parallel internally, which means no multi-sub Dirac Bass Control. As above, I haven't seen a definitive NAD statement on that.

A missed trick if you ask me. I have a MiniDSP 2*4 HD so I can to an extent do some multi-sub PEQ etc. But DBC would have been nice/better. Amir's test will have to show performance equal at least to the RMC-1 (and presumably XMC-2) for me to consider this.

markus

It's seems they're in parallel internally, which means no multi-sub Dirac Bass Control. As above, I haven't seen a definitive NAD statement on that.

A missed trick if you ask me. I have a MiniDSP 2*4 HD so I can to an extent do some multi-sub PEQ etc. But DBC would have been nice/better. Amir's test will have to show performance equal at least to the RMC-1 (and presumably XMC-2) for me to consider this.

"Bass Control" multisub optimization is probably best when you have multiple (rows of) seats. If you care only about a single seat the benefits aren't that great (the exception proves the rule). Way more important is the crossover splice optimization which is also available in the single sub (or a single multisub cluster) "Bass Control" option. This will result in a highly audible improvement.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Amir's test will have to show performance equal at least to the RMC-1 (and presumably XMC-2) for me to consider this.
This will not happen, I am afraid. I would be happy if it’s not “broken”

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
"Bass Control" multisub optimization is probably best when you have multiple (rows of) seats. If you care only about a single seat the benefits aren't that great (the exception proves the rule). Way more important is the crossover splice optimization which is also available in the single sub (or a single multisub cluster) "Bass Control" option. This will result in a highly audible improvement.

So Markus, does that mean we’d still benefit from using a minidsp combined with the single sub Bass Control?

markus

So Markus, does that mean we’d still benefit from using a minidsp combined with the single sub Bass Control?

Likely, but Dirac's multisub optimizer does it automatically for 150 bucks extra. You decide if it's worth your time and effort doing it manually with a miniDSP 2x4 or similar.

Top Bottom