• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interested to see how NAD T778 measures and performs

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the reviews are out for the new NAD T778 AVR and there seems to be a increased focus on music and sound quality, and creating a single box that can seamlessly switch between home theater duty and music listening duty. I like the features and the way it's apparent that they thought of the two different ways people would use the AVR for the different purposes. I hope it measures well.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-t-778-av-surround-sound-receiver-review

Update Aug28th 2020
Amir's Review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-t778-audio-video-receiver-avr-review.15643/

Last edited:
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their own specs put it at 62dB SINAD at rated wattage.
Which numbers from their specs did you use to calculate SINAD?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was posted by Lonestar1027 on AVSforum yesterday:
I live about 20 minutes from Amir and have a T778 on the way. I've already touched base with him and we should have some tests done as soon as my unit comes in

So it looks like we'll see it tested.

Martin

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks so much! Looking forward to seeing the results.

Lonestar1027

Forum Donor
Me too! I'm just watching on the next batch to hit the US but I have my order placed and will likely take the unit to Amir before I even get a chance to play with it.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The front touchscreen display is nice...adds a unique touch from all other boring faces of AV receivers for the masses.

Dirac Live is its 2nd appeal feature, but lacking volume adjust for independent channels on the fly.

A modular design, très cool but from NAD history it's a short fuse (tune).

Toroidal transformer for a hybrid amp topography; almost 27 pounds total (for the entire unit). So it's easy to manage in putting in the audio/video rack (no back pain, no medical bills to the chiropractor, no incubation ...).

9 powered channels, cool, only a stereo one to add for a 7.2.4 setup.
I would have preferred 11 powered channels but that's me.

Three grand for a nice touchscreen, Dirac Live, modular design (upgradeable...good luck), and the 2nd HDMI output restricted to 1080p only, short of two power amps...hmmm it better measures real nice because in that price range you can get some real AV receiver limousines, fully equipped not missing any amps.

* Overview ... https://blog.son-video.com/en/2020/04/review-nad-t778/

8c78e1834aefff37d640bd8d784c1788

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is NAD employing Hypex amps in this one?

NAD can be such a mixed bag, measurement wise. However, a few years ago when they switched to UcD (and later, nCore) from the Zetex Direct Digital Feedback designs, performance greatly improved.

Aha! Just read that it does employ nCore amplification.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, there is something just WRONG about calling NAD a Canadian company, although that is what it now is. Yes, it was founded in Boston, MA, by an American and a Norwegian, but it quickly moved to London. Ever since, the sound and ethos has been quintessentially British.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also, there is something just WRONG about calling NAD a Canadian company, although that is what it now is. Yes, it was founded in Boston, MA, by an American and a Norwegian, but it quickly moved to London. Ever since, the sound and ethos has been quintessentially British.

"Sound and ethos" comes from the parts used in a device. Those parts are sourced world wide and the design lead is located in Canada. Not what I would call "quintessentially British".

https://lenbrook.com

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Sound and ethos" comes from the parts used in a device. Those parts are sourced world wide and the design lead is located in Canada. Not what I would call "quintessentially British".

https://lenbrook.com
I know that—as I had written above, “there is something just WRONG about calling NAD a Canadian company, although that is what it now is.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Looks like they are using the Hypex UCD102 for amplification: https://www.hypex.nl/product/ucd102-oem/52
NAD says ncore.

I hope this T778 is a real step forward for NAD in the quality of the amp and the processor.

If stereo performance is good, this might be my chance to finally have an all in one amp for both stereo and surround.

So I’m looking forward to the measurements!

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
THD (SINAD) is rated for 0.08%.

That's a meaningless figure. The THD of all amplifiers will increase to 0.08% as you approach/exceed rated power, even a Benchmark AHB2. NAD's specs, at least from what I see on their web page for this model, do not state the THD values below rated power (and at what frequencies).

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a meaningless figure. The THD of all amplifiers will increase to 0.08% as you approach/exceed rated power, even a Benchmark AHB2. NAD's specs, at least from what I see on their web page for this model, do not state the THD values below rated power (and at what frequencies).
That is why Benchmark specs it before that happens. THD is usually the lowest near its max wattage.

markus

NAD says ncore.

I hope this T778 is a real step forward for NAD in the quality of the amp and the processor.

If stereo performance is good, this might be my chance to finally have an all in one amp for both stereo and surround.

So I’m looking forward to the measurements!

Nowhere does NAD say that the 778 has nCore. That's misinformation spreading all over social media since they mentioned the 778 together with an amp in one press release...

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Nowhere does NAD say that the 778 has nCore. That's misinformation spreading all over social media since they mentioned the 778 together with an amp in one press release...
I’m afraid you’re right.

Some so called reviews mention ncore.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is why Benchmark specs it before that happens. THD is usually the lowest near its max wattage.

Correct, and then THD shoots back up with increasing power output as the amp starts to clip. My point is that THD at rated power doesn't tell us anything about the THD at normal playback power. You can't describe a curve with one data point.

Stated differently, the "0.08% THD" figure isn't there to convey whether the amplifier has high or low levels of THD. Rather, it is there to define how the rated power was determined (i.e. the wattage at which THD reached 0.08%). This is why NAD's specifications describes its rated power as:
"Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously at full bandwidth at rated distortion): 9 x 85W"

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct, and then THD shoots back up with increasing power output as the amp starts to clip. My point is that THD at rated power doesn't tell us anything about the THD at normal playback power. You can't describe a curve with one data point.

Stated differently, the "0.08% THD" figure isn't there to convey whether the amplifier has high or low levels of THD. Rather, it is there to define how the rated power was determined (i.e. the wattage at which THD reached 0.08%). This is why NAD's specifications describes its rated power as:
"Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously at full bandwidth at rated distortion): 9 x 85W"
It’s usually the interest to show the lowest distortion, unless that’s way below the max power, which isn’t usually the case.

Top Bottom