• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

delta76

Major Contributor
So properly turn on/off the amp, daily. Understood.
you can buy a smart plug for $10 and schedule auto turn on/off. I can imagine those A/B class amps to take time to stabilize so you can turn it on around 30m before you start listening to music.

delta76

Major Contributor
If 30m isn't a bit too far for listening to music...:D
I have no idea how long an amp can take to "warm up", so 30m is just a vague guess from my side. maybe completely off mark?

Zek

Major Contributor
30m = 30 meter
idea.gif

D

Deleted member 48726

Guys, can you take your SI unit interpretations on PM? ;)

Astrofly

@TheBatsEar just wanted to say thank
you for the thread. I always like looking inside an amp to see how it's made (for the amount I'm able to understand). These Yammies are cool. If I could justify a second system, then one of these would be a top contender. I can certainly understand your love of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

@TheBatsEar just wanted to say thank
you for the thread. I always looking inside an amp to see how it's made (for the amount I'm able to understand). These Yammies are cool. If I could justify a second system, then one of these would be a top contender. I can certainly understand your love of them.
Yeah, Yamaha has always made quality gear. And they have been very consistent making it so that you know what you get when you get a Yamaha amp. We can see that even their lowest tier amps are made with quality and separation etc. in mind. Other brands are all over the place when it comes to their lower price offerings.

SirPaulGerman

Maybe is the wrong topic, but I got a Yamaha P-2200 mint condition for $70. Working fine so far, a bit of hum when I set the input attenuators to 0db, is that normal ?

Can the P-2200 be used as home audio amp ?
IMG_1311.JPG

Some pics of the inside

852772-26bdba24-for-sale-yamaha-p2200-audiophile-very-near-mint-vintage-yamaha-p2200-power-amp.jpg

852773-4e1d502e-for-sale-yamaha-p2200-audiophile-very-near-mint-vintage-yamaha-p2200-power-amp.jpg

Here are the charts for the specs

Attachments

• output.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Maybe is the wrong topic, but I got a Yamaha P-2200 mint condition for $70. Working fine so far, a bit of hum when I set the input attenuators to 0db, is that normal ?

Can the P-2200 be used as home audio amp ?
Of course it can. High input sensitivity. High SNR. Passively cooled.

I passed on one some time ago because I didn't want to drive two hours to pick it up. At 70 usd it's a steal!

The hum. Is that mechanical or electrical (from the speakers)?

SirPaulGerman

Of course it can. High input sensitivity. High SNR. Passively cooled.

I passed on one some time ago because I didn't want to drive two hours to pick it up. At 70 usd it's a steal!

The hum. Is that mechanical or electrical (from the speakers)?
The hum is coming from the speakers

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe in the future, @restorer-john what do you make of the P-2200 ?
To learn more about the nature of the hum, answer these questions:
1) Does the hum get louder when you change the volume on the power amp?
2) Is the hum there with all sources disconnected?
3) Is the hum there with a battery operated source, like a MP3 player (make sure the volume is way, way down)?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm attempting to get a Yamaha R-S202 into Amirs measurement pipeline, lets see how that goes.

I haven't seen any comprehensive measurements for them so far, despite their popularity. They where also sold as A-S201 and R-S201 and i'm sure there will be a successor eventually.

Some pics of the inside
Appreciated and added to the second post. :)

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't want to drive two hours to pick it up
Right, sometimes it's just too much hassle.
Then again, most of my really good deals i got because i was willing to drive out of my metropolitan area.

SirPaulGerman

I did some research on the P-2200, and that particular Yamaha amp is the base for the M-2.
Here is the professional review of the M-2

can someone review the lab report and check if the numbers are good ?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can someone review the lab report and check if the numbers are good ?
They are good.
Modern amps are better in terms of noise and distortion, but in my opinion you wouldn't hear a difference at regular listening levels with regular speakers.

croseiv

Sweet thread! I have the A-S801. Running it with some Monolith Encore T6 speakers! I am enjoying the rig. I listen in pure direct mode, mostly via pc to the usb connection on the amp. I also like to spin some vinyl. Just a little rig for the apartment. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG