• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive streamer option

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A Raspberry Pi even cheaper if that is the goal.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Fanle...pest-ever-right-now-for-200-USD.512482.0.html

This plus a topping d10s would make a nice streamer/roon endpoint for $300.

I'm building a RPi + HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Roon endpoint.

Just got the parts today.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/4GB
HiFiBerry DAC2 HD
HighPi Raspberry Pi Case for Pi4, Black
USB-C Power Supply, 5.1V 3.0A, Black, UL Listed
Aluminum Heatsink for Raspberry Pi 4B (3-Pack)
MicroSD Card Extreme Pro – 32 GB – Class 10 – BLANK1

Total cost: $192.75

snip3r77

I'm building a RPi + HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Roon endpoint.

Just got the parts today.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/4GB
HiFiBerry DAC2 HD
HighPi Raspberry Pi Case for Pi4, Black
USB-C Power Supply, 5.1V 3.0A, Black, UL Listed
Aluminum Heatsink for Raspberry Pi 4B (3-Pack)
MicroSD Card Extreme Pro – 32 GB – Class 10 – BLANK1

Total cost: $192.75

is it possible to include a amp(hat) ?tks

flyzipper

For turnkey, Chromecast Audio + optical cable, but you'd need to buy one used since they're discontinued.
Since I like to tinker, I also built a Pi-based option using the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro, running DietPi (currently v6.34.3).
Both work well and even integrate with Roon.

Updating with my Pi parts list (from April 2018)

HiFiBerry Digi+ bundle (total): $147.30

HiFiBerry board: HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro: $39.90
Case: Steel case for HiFiBerry Digi+, black: $27.90
Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi 3B+: $44.90
Memory card: SD card 8GB: $12.90Card reader:
Micro-SD card reader: $7.90
Power supply: Raspberry Pi power supply 5V/2.5A: $12.90
Accessories: 2x20 pin male header: $0.90

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For turnkey, Chromecast Audio + optical cable, but you'd need to buy one used since they're discontinued.
Since I like to tinker, I also built a Pi-based option using the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro, running DietPi.
Both work well and even integrate with Roon.
Using an RPi as a Roon endpoint is a great solution.

I'm amazed by people buying expensive streamers that then seem not to work properly or not yet be Roon-ready. I understand that an expensive streamer can look good, but an RPi is so small that it can be tucked away out of sight.

RoPieeeXL is also available should you want to connect to Spotify, outside of Roon.

Sukie

Forum Donor
is it possible to include a amp(hat) ?tks
I looked into this a while back but wasn't particularly impressed by what was available. Some of the DAC HATs offer performance that will be audibly indistinguishable form separate DACs, I don't think you can say the same for the Amp HATs

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I looked into this a while back but wasn't particularly impressed by what was available. Some of the DAC HATs offer performance that will be audibly indistinguishable form separate DACs, I don't think you can say the same for the Amp HATs

Yeah, the amps are a real step down compared to other options.

Far less true for the DACs.

But if you had some special use case where you needed a tiny amp connect to Roon to, I dunno, power little wall mount speakers above your bath tub at soft levels, it might be okay.

Wombat

Master Contributor
RPi is not plug and play. That rules most consumers out. Even me! I don't like software/firmware dependent device solutions for audio replay.

Googlechrome Audio is barely acceptable(simplicity) for a Luddite like me.
uhmmmm - Copy.gif

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
RPi is not plug and play. That rules most consumers out. Even me! I don't like software/firmware dependent device solutions for audio replay.

Googlechrome Audio is barely acceptable(simplicity) for a Luddite like me. View attachment 103037
I agree that an RPi is not plug and play, but it's pretty simple to set up. I'd never even seen a motherboard, single board or any other board "in the flesh" until I got my first RPi. It took me about 5 minutes to set up and a further 15 minutes to download software and configure.

Ciclidi

hello, I have a raspberry pi 3b with hifiberry digi + pro connected with a coaxial cable to a soncoz la-qxd1 and xlr geshelli erish. do you think it would be better to have an rpi 4 connected with usb?

Honken

Googlechrome Audio is barely acceptable(simplicity) for a Luddite like me. View attachment 103037
This would rule out all streamers, as I know them at least. The difference is that a Pi/regular computer gives you access to the software and allows you to change it yourself.

Sukie

Forum Donor
hello, I have a raspberry pi 3b with hifiberry digi + pro connected with a coaxial cable to a soncoz la-qxd1 and xlr geshelli erish. do you think it would be better to have an rpi 4 connected with usb?
I wouldn't have thought so. RPi3 has certain problems with usb audio, but you're using coax so that should be fine.

snip3r77

QUOTE="watchnerd, post: 622752, member: 238"]Yeah, the amps are a real step down compared to other options.

Far less true for the DACs.

But if you had some special use case where you needed a tiny amp connect to Roon to, I dunno, power little wall mount speakers above your bath tub at soft levels, it might be okay.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that indeed we need an amp and we need a separate component for this. Perhaps in this case would it be more clear cut to offload dac and amp together to one component maybe an SMSL SA300.

By the way, what sw required in order for spotify to work? Thanks

curiouspeter

What about the iPod Touch or an older iPad? You can get a new one with the CCK for less than $240.

It is possible to oo lower with RPi but the iPod can also be used as a portable network transport and of course a reasonable DAP in a pinch. You can also run native streaming apps.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom