• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive streamer option

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RPi is not plug and play. That rules most consumers out. Even me! I don't like software/firmware dependent device solutions for audio replay.

Googlechrome Audio is barely acceptable(simplicity) for a Luddite like me. View attachment 103037

I read these threads, and remind myself that Apple's lovely little AirPlay Express was just $100 and just works, and while discontinued have been updated to current AirPlay standards and are still widely available for purchase.

And for any system with an AVR/P or other HDMI device AppleTV's are likewise cheap and just work, and are available new.

flyzipper

I read these threads, and remind myself that Apple's lovely little AirPlay Express was just $100 and just works, and while discontinued have been updated to current AirPlay standards and are still widely available for purchase.

And for any system with an AVR/P or other HDMI device AppleTV's are likewise cheap and just work, and are available new.

I read these threads, and remind myself that Google's lovely little Chromecast Audio was just $30 and just works, and while discontinued have been updated to current Chromecast standards and are still widely available for purchase.

And for any system with an AVR/P or other HDMI device Google TVs are likewise cheap and just work, and are available new. ;)

(couldn't resist)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like an interesting option that seems similar to RPI solutions but pre built and ready to go for a reasonable price. I like that there is a digital output so you can use it with your existing dac if the onboard dac ends up measuring poorly. The only limitation I see is you can't use their songbird app on iOS. Only Airplay. So don't think hi res will work in that case. This is likely a good option for someone who wants a decent bit perfect streamer at a reasonable price and doesn't want to build their own.

You should buy one and ship it to amir to see how it performs.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
I thought of that but I have a sonos connect and it's good for now. I was just doing a little browsing and it looked like a lot for little money. I think I read somewhere that they were going to make an app for the Android. In any event I just thought others may like to look.

Cheers.

TheWalkman

I thought of that but I have a sonos connect and it's good for now. I was just doing a little browsing and it looked like a lot for little money. I think I read somewhere that they were going to make an app for the Android. In any event I just thought others may like to look.

Cheers.

Krusty,

My only concern with a streamer like the Songbird is longevity.

I have a couple of early audio streaming devices (late 90's - early 2000's) like the Roku Soundbridge (google that!) and Grace internet radio etc that have all been long since discontinued with no software updates. (Just this weekend, I just learned that the Reciva station aggregator shutdown a month ago which will render these older devices as doorstops.)

I would have that same concern with this Songbird also quickly coming an endangered species.

The good news on Raspberry Pi streamers is they have a huge installed base and even if your favorite streaming software company goes belly up, there are lots of alternative software solutions.

(My $0.02)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hey.

I just came across this and thought you guys might want to take a look. Maybe Amir might want to review it.

Yes, it's another of a long line of products based on the LinkPlay A31 module. There are many iOS and Android apps that will all work with it, based on the starter app provided by LinkPlay. Audio Pro AB is the best implementation of the app, IMO.

https://www.linkplay.com/products-powered-by-linkplay

MikeS54

So would a HiFiBerry DAC with Raspberry Pi 4B give you actual 24bit 192Hz streaming for Roon? Looking for something Roon ready for a Denon receiver.

10khz-lpf

I am very "anti-Raspberry Pi" because I am annoyed by how many project seems to use it "For the sake of using one".
Additionally, since the supply-chain issues regarding silicon chips a couple years ago, RPi are now much harder to find than they used to be.
In past times, one could visit an electronics store and find bins stuffed full of RPi.
Now the stock is inconsistent and goes as fast as it is restocked.
Sure if you have a RPi, use it, but there are many other devices which do the same job, while consuming very little power.
So there's no need for people to obsess over "it must be a RPi"

For example you can use an old wifi router with USB ports or a "thin client" type PC, or even a wide number of devices which are clones of Raspberry Pi's.
Refer to my post here about how I turned a $10 "N" Wifi router with a USB port into a MPD based streaming player -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/relocating-the-pc.27476/post-1160920

So would a HiFiBerry DAC with Raspberry Pi 4B give you actual 24bit 192Hz streaming for Roon? Looking for something Roon ready for a Denon receiver.
I don't know what Roon is, never heard it but I also don't stream.
There are lots of Hifiberry models, don't know which one you're thinking of, as long as your source stream is 24 bit 192khz then any dac with those specs will work...
You know you could simply use a mobile phone, like some old iPhone or Android, connect that to an OTG cable to any Class Compliant DAC with 24bit 192khz specs or better, and just run that into your receiver?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I think so, but I'm not sure what the current rules for 'Roon ready' are. See https://ropieee.org/ for the best known native Roon client implementation. As I understand it Roon is pretty much feature complete with squeezebox endpoints, so piCorePlayer should be an alternative.

F

freemansteve

I am very "anti-Raspberry Pi" because I am annoyed by how many project seems to use it "For the sake of using one".
Additionally, since the supply-chain issues regarding silicon chips a couple years ago, RPi are now much harder to find than they used to be.
In past times, one could visit an electronics store and find bins stuffed full of RPi.
Now the stock is inconsistent and goes as fast as it is restocked.
Sure if you have a RPi, use it, but there are many other devices which do the same job, while consuming very little power.
So there's no need for people to obsess over "it must be a RPi"

Chip shortages for apply to other SBCs too, although maybe less popular boards are still in stock...

People don't "obsess" over Pi's, but they recognize there is far and away more ready-to-go and easy to deploy software builds for audio projects available, and a huge choice of well-proven add-on boards. Arguably the safest option for the semi-skilled....

Top Bottom