• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IDEAS FOR MAGNEPAN 1.7x AUDIO SYSTEM (STREAMING SOURCE ONLY) FOR $15K

Lubbertp

I beg you, experienced audiophile people, to please help me build the best SQ system posible, based on Magnepan 1.7x for $15k (streaming source only, Qobuz and Tidal connect). My room size is 14' X 18'.
After 2 months searching the web and 2 dealer auditions (no dealer will have ALL gear you want to audition, so you always end up guessing), I came up with the following system, you all please feel free to suggest any changes (other than speakers):
- iFi NEO stream - $1.3k.
- Rogue Pharaoh II integrated amplifier - $4k.
- Magnepan 1.7x speakers ("x" means factory upgrade crossover, connectors, etc.) - $5k
- 2 x REL T/9X active subwoofers - $3k.
- iFi 4.4mm to XLR Balanced Aluminium Alloy Cable - $0.1k.
- Speaker cables - $0.5k.
- System total = $13,900 dollars.
This exercise might be a fun ride for all of us!

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- Magnepan 1.7x speakers ("x" means factory improved crossover, connectors, etc.) - $5k
I guess the ".x" stuff is new, never heard of it. I couldn't find any information on what it actually is, but if it's just a crossover change I doubt it's worth $2000. The performance of panel speakers is so heavily impacted by their size, the 2.7i or 3.7i are almost certainly better. With Magnepans you pretty much want the biggest ones you can possibly afford.
You're spending a *staggering* amount of money on electronics that won't bring any benefits. $4000 for a Hypex NC500-based amplifier? Why not get a Buckeye for $3K less?
- 2 x REL T/9X active subwoofers - 3k.
Again, I would skip the overpriced REL nonsense and get better performing, proper subs like the Arendal 1961 or Rythmik F12. Those are personal suggestions, the subwoofer comparison sheet has many other options.

- Speaker cables for 0.5k.
Don't spend a lot of money on cables. Canare or Mogami is the most expensive stuff I would buy for XLR.

You just need 12 awg generic speaker wire from Monoprice or whatever, that's it. If you want to be extra extra careful(but this won't do anything in 99.99% of situations especially on short runs) you can buy shielded speaker cable.
You appear to be missing room correction and a proper way to integrate the subs, which requires measuring. This is way more important than the quality of the amp or any of the other electronics. I would strongly consider a miniDSP Flex + UMIK + Dirac license, you can also dive pretty deep into complexity with REW and Multi-Sub Optimizer if you wish.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I beg you, experienced audiophile people, to please help me build the best SQ system posible, based on Magnepan 1.7x for $15k (streaming source only, Qobuz and Tidal connect). My room size is 14' X 18'.
After 2 months searching the web and 2 dealer auditions (no dealer will have ALL gear you want to audition, so you always end up guessing), I came up with the following system, you all please feel free to suggest any changes (other than speakers):
- Magnepan 1.7x speakers ("x" means factory upgrade crossover, connectors, etc.) - $5k
I would not go with Magnepan but rather some KEFs, Revels or Genelecs (active).

The Ifi streamer is way overpriced and not adding anything to sound.

The amp too. Or if you want to spent 4K go for Benchmark AHB2.
Thread 'Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-and-measurements-of-benchmark-ahb2-amp.7628/
But I would look at Boxem too.

Subs are also not ideal. Look at SVS or the others mentioned above.

Room EQ is missing and next to the speakers the biggest contributor to good sound. Plus you need it to integrate your subs properly.

The cables are ridiculous and a utter waste of money.

Overall you might be better off with a Denon X4800 (all in one box, streamer, DAC , Room EQ eg Dirac DBLC, pre amp) into some nice active speakers eg Genelec or into an poweramp (eg Boxem or one of the other Hypex, Purify based amps) and then into some large KEFs (eg R11 Meta or R7 Meta as you plan to have subs anyhow) or Revel plus some SVS or Arendal subs.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never mind that the streamer doesn’t even make it past Redbook performance…

WiiM pro, MiniDSP Flex (with Dirac and mic), some nice Hypex or Purify amp. One or two of the subs from @Sancus list, and you’ll have plenty of budget left for a speaker upgrade.

X upgrade: total waste of money.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I enjoy Magnepan speakers but generally the larger ones tend to sound better. So you would be better off getting worse electronics and the Mg 3.7 for example.

I have had the Marantz SA-10 and PM-10 combo which is worth more than your electronics budget, so I feel as if I can speak to your interests.

What I would suggest is unconventional, but will be better.

Let’s assume that you like the sound of the Magenpans. That is a fixed requirement.

MG1.7x : $5000
Monolith HTP-1: $4000
- gives you Dirac ART to manage bass and leverage the performance of the Magenpans in your room
- DLBC and ART will be added costs
- superior SINAD to many setups esp. since you can tune the gain.
Benchmark AHB2: $3500
WiiM Pro : $150

For the subwoofer, dual REL HT/1003 MKII if you like the look of REL. You are relying on Dirac to handle the integration which will beat the REL’s high level input since it will be optimized for your room. You’ll be fine for music with the REL.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Monolith HTP-1: $4000
- gives you Dirac ART to manage bass and leverage the performance of the Magenpans in your room
- DLBC and ART will be added costs
Just to clarify:
It only supports Dirac's DLBC (multi sub license) as of today, not Dirac's ART (which is StormAudio's exclusive firmware for now).
But Monoprice is beta testing Dirac's ART firmware for HTP-1 currently. (source)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to clarify:
It only supports Dirac's DLBC (multi sub license) as of today, not Dirac's ART (which is StormAudio's exclusive firmware for now).
But Monoprice is beta testing Dirac's ART firmware for HTP-1 currently. (source)
Thanks. Yes, sorry for not making that clearer.

Top Bottom