• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Megcellent

Hey all,

This is my first post on the forum so please correct me if I'm not following standard protocol or posting in the wrong place.

When I was younger, my dad helped me pick out a Rega turntable, Sonos Connect, Rega Brio, and Neat Iota speakers for my bedroom. I've had that setup ever since, but sold the turntable and record collection when I moved into a small condo. I'm thinking about upgrading my streamer and speakers while making things as simple as possible for my partner.

Mandatory:
Apple Airplay 2 - my partner has no interest in learning apps or turning on several pieces of equipment
HDMI - to use my Apple TV as a source/player for music, podcasts, and movies (we use the Apple TV exclusively and have no cable provider)

Nice to have:
2-Way Bluetooth - my understanding with something like a Bluesound Node X is that I could listen to TV audio through my Bluetooth headphones
Half-Width - having some flexibility with where I put/hide components is a plus

Avoid:
All-in-one - I like simplifying my setup but would worry about having all parts in one box, I have a rambunctious dog and would hate to ruin my whole system in one accident
Obscure Brands - I'm sure some of these products are awesome, but I'd like service or warranty to be simple and without international shipping (I live in Canada)

I'm currently thinking of:
1. Node X, Brio-R, KEF LS50 Meta
2. Used Nad M10/Cambridge Evo 75/Naim Atom, KEF LS50 Meta
3. Node X and Elac ARB 51/other active speaker

Is the Brio a good enough amplifier and better than a Powernode or Nad C700? Would I have to spend a lot more on an upgrade (2x+) from the Brio to notice?

For simplicity should I just go active speakers and the Node? Any recommendations for active speakers?

What Bluesound OS capable products would you consider?

Always open to totally different suggestions if I'm thinking about this wrong.

Cheers!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you looked into the LS50 Wireless II?

From KEF:

About this item
Available streaming services include: Spotify Connect, Tidal, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Deezer, QQ Music, Internet Radio, and Podcasts.
Each speaker consists of a 280 watt amplifier for the mid range and 100w amplifier for the tweeter.
Wireless Streaming features include: Apple AirPlay 2, Google Chromecast, ROON Ready, UPnP Compatible, Bluetooth 4.2
Resolution Up To: 384kHz/24bit depending on connection.
Featured Inputs: HDMI eArc, TOSLINK, Digital Coaxial, Analog 3.5mm Auxiliary, RJ45, WiFi

...and they are on sale right now for $1,999.

OP
M

Megcellent

Have you looked into the LS50 Wireless II?

From KEF:

About this item
Available streaming services include: Spotify Connect, Tidal, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Deezer, QQ Music, Internet Radio, and Podcasts.
Each speaker consists of a 280 watt amplifier for the mid range and 100w amplifier for the tweeter.
Wireless Streaming features include: Apple AirPlay 2, Google Chromecast, ROON Ready, UPnP Compatible, Bluetooth 4.2
Resolution Up To: 384kHz/24bit depending on connection.
Featured Inputs: HDMI eArc, TOSLINK, Digital Coaxial, Analog 3.5mm Auxiliary, RJ45, WiFi

...and they are on sale right now for $1,999.
I sure have. They are very interesting and something I'd consider. My only concerns are that the KEF app isn't the best and the what if they're damaged fear. Maybe that's irrational but it would be a bummer to have to replace your entire system in an accident.

It is by far the simplest option though. Thanks.

quattro98

Forum Donor
If you're using an Apple TV, that already provides Airplay and streaming. Which portion of the system do you want to upgrade. The amp and speakers? Why do you need a separate streamer if using an Apple TV?

Top Bottom